Web Site Design and updates

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slv

Reaction score
With the person that has been doing my web site. The customer service is terrible or basically just not there. A few weeks ago there was people posting on the sale board wondering if something had happened to him. Then all of a sudden he starts getting back with folks and saying that he had a toothache and that is why he didn't get back with anyone for over a month. I did get a few updates completed when he reappeared but guess what, no answer now to my last five e-mals. I am just ready to call it quits. Of course I paid him in January for an entire year and am sure that there will be no refund, or at least I was told that by one of his other disgruntled clients.

I am wondering what I have to go through to get someone else to take over my web site. I am sure that I have paid for the domain name and all of that, but how easy or difficult is it to get someone to take over my web site.

Any response would be greatly appreciated as I am just livid about all of this.
default_wacko.png

Well, you own the verbiage and pictures, but he probably owns the code. Meaning you can't just have him zip it up and send it to you, and you hand it over to someone else to deal with.

Look at your contract/agreement to see what it says on who owns what.

He probably owns the code and you'll have to have the site redone. He might just give you the code to make you go away. Kind of depends on what you agreed to and what you can negotiate.

When it comes to your domain name, that depends on how he registered it. Did he register it in your name, or did he register it in his? I'd hope yours, but it is possible he put it in his own name, since he was the one creating and maintaining the site.

When I set my website up, I did the actual website, then paid someone to host it. A year later he was bankrupt & out of business. I went to change the site over to a different server with a different host & learned that I did not own my domain. It was in the name of the guy that originally hosted it. Luckily for me my new host managed to get the site transferred to their server anyway, but the domain remains under the other person's ownership. It's caused me a few minor problems, but nothing major. A friend of mine who was in the same situation with the same bankrupt host changed her website to a different host/server (not the same one I changed to). She has tried to get the guy to transfer ownership into her name (he has to go on some website & do the transfer by clicking on some approval icon or some such thing. He simply will not do that.) Her current server did some sort of upgrade on her account & discovered that she did not own the domain, and since then she has been having major problems with her website. Her options are to let her site lapse for 30 days and then register the domain name under her name (and hope that in those 30 days no one else will register the domain name & take it away)--she will be without a site for 30 days--or else she can get a new domain name & change all her advertising and links, which isn't something she wants to do. I would have to do the same thing to get ownership of my domain name, but as long as things are going smoothly, as they have been, I'm just leaving it alone.

If this person advertised on LB, you should inform Mary Lou of what has happened. She tries to protect people who do business through LB from being taken advantage of. I would send her an email outlining what happened and with whom you've dealt.

If this person advertised on LB, you should inform Mary Lou of what has happened. She tries to protect people who do business through LB from being taken advantage of. I would send her an email outlining what happened and with whom you've dealt.

"That person" has been banned from LB for quite some time already!
default_yes.gif

Back