Am I Crazy To Have Such Young Horses at My Age?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had thought of a “drowry” in the past but then I try to remember what a wise lady said one time… I think it was you Marsha…. Something like…. That often times we don’t think other people can take as good of care for our animals as we do. So I try to stay positive and I tell myself that there are a lot of good folks out there that can take great care if not better care of my horses than I can.

My hubby knows that if something ever happens to me that I want all my horses sold. Why? My hubby travels for a living, horses are not his thing and he doesn’t have time for them. It would be in my horses best interest at that point to find new loving homes where they will get love, attention and the care they need.

I am also on a sole journey with regard to owning horses in my household. I won't burden family members with them, if they really aren't up for the experience. But, with regard to giving or selling them to someone else, that's a tough one. Realistically, in my head I know that there may be someone out there somewhere who would take better care of my animals than I do, but my heart says, no way can anyone care for them the way I do !!
Capriole, I hope you do get to drive some day. I have set lower, realistic expectations for myself, a walk around the neighborhood. If I can manage that comfortably, then maybe I'll go to the next step.

I had thought of a “drowry” in the past but then I try to remember what a wise lady said one time… I think it was you Marsha…. Something like…. That often times we don’t think other people can take as good of care for our animals as we do. So I try to stay positive and I tell myself that there are a lot of good folks out there that can take great care if not better care of my horses than I can.

My hubby knows that if something ever happens to me that I want all my horses sold. Why? My hubby travels for a living, horses are not his thing and he doesn’t have time for them. It would be in my horses best interest at that point to find new loving homes where they will get love, attention and the care they need.
I agree with this. Except for Dapper Dan. When one has owned a horse for more than 20 years, learned from him, shared him with so many people, been consoled by him--it's hard to think of him ending up in an auction.
I was attending the annual Women's Friendship Dinner last week and a young high school student who was part of the serving committee came up and asked if I were the lady with the little horses. She remembered Dapper Dan by name, and obviously he had given her a lot of pleasure and a good memory when she was a little girl at our outings.

How lucky are you to have had that interaction with the high school student. It made me smile and tear up at the same time. I find it amazing that sometimes we are fortunate enough to have that special animal that is a perfect match with us. I can honestly say that I have loved every pet I have ever owned, but there will always be just one that I know we were meant to be in each others lives. Dog, Lady. Cat, Critter, Horse, Lady. (By the way, I didn't name either one of the Lady's). I think when I imagine that I can no longer manage my animals, I reflect on my relationship with Lady which sounds similar to your relationship with Dapper Dan. She died 11/07/22, just about 2 years ago. I had her for 15 years until she passed away from Lyme disease (2 bouts her last summer) and Cushings, both of which were being managed with meds, but ultimately, I think were a bit much for her system. She was a great little horse, my first mare. She was both sassy and sweet, which when I think about it, was a little like me :). Anyway, I'm gad that you have Dapper Dan and I'm glad I had Lady.
Right now I have to go muck the stalls of my current little ones and enjoy them and the day. Have a good one!

Latest posts

Back