Walking/Hiking with our minis and ponies - Mile Tracker!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 mile with DD Sunday. Our first walk for 2022 and look forward to more…in a week or so.🤞

It was sunny and nearly 35 with plenty of areas free of ice on the gravel road. Then it began to snow Sunday night and today it is still snowing. I think we are closing in on about 14” on top of what we had on the ground.

The gravel road has disappeared! 🤣

It is continuous, hganser, so you can join the thread with the walk you all took recently, if you’d like, and just add on whenever you can! Or start anytime that works for you.

In my case it may take a week or more before I can add another bit. Sometimes I add 1/4 mile, sometimes around 2 miles. Sometimes I walked a few days in a row and sometimes there was a gap between my walks.

It is very individual and fun to do!

4 miles today with Dapper Dan and Midnight. Jackie and Munchkin went also. We went to the elevator to weigh. Dapper Dan was down to 220, which is sort of cause for concern for me. That is 40 less than last time. Midnight was 280; she goes back and forth between 260-280. Little cool and breezy but we had a nice walk.

Yes HM! When I first got Shadow we would be walking and then all of a sudden he was rolling! All I could think was… that ain’t good for a future driving pony! 🤣 So then after that I MADE SURE he NEVER rolled while walking again… and he didn’t….wanted to… but I made sure he didn’t. 🤣🤣 He was about a year old at that time.

Apaché is also a roller! At least twice while he was saddled up and with a toddler onboard 😂. Luckily they managed to jump off before getting smooshed!! There was a spot behind the swings at the playground that he ALWAYS rolled in. It was the little dip where mums stood to push the swing. Loved it. I definitely learnt to read his I’m about to roll signals! so I can either stop him or find somewhere appropriate and take his saddle off to give him the opportunity.

We finally went out for a ride today after INSANE amounts of rain... just bonkers buckets all day almost everyday.

Back to the monkey refuge around the corner. 3km.

Poor Apaché has some rain scalding. 😭😱 The tb mare he shares his paddock with is RIDDLED with it. We gave him a bit of a wash with some medicated shampoo and I put some nappy cream on! Poor baby! Can’t wait til we move to our new house and get some proper shelter built.

You can feel the horse thinking about rolling. A quick cue with the whip usually discourages it.
When I was a kid I had a big appaloosa who would lay down while I was riding. Usually I was bareback but he would do it under saddle also. I was just a little barefoot kid; not much I could do about it. One day he did it with a cowboy riding him; the guy thought Dusty was having a heart attack. When he found out it was a ploy, that was the last time Dusty ever laid down with me or anyone.
The nice thing about it for me, if I were bareback, is I could climb back aboard while he was getting up. I still have hairs from his tail; he was a special boy.

1/4 of a mile with DD. ☺

Almost 45 degrees with geese flying over, two swans, and one falcon. I LOVE Spring!

Your Appaloosa sounds like he was a character, Marsha. Such a beautiful breed. I have a few tail hairs from my first horse, Smokey. A little black Quarter horse that was all heart. 💕

We’ve not been doing very much still. Too wet, too slippery! But managed to get the kids on for a little walk up the road with Apaché.

1km

Dear Dusty fell over just as Bear mounted Apaché which was so disappointing and frustrating! Carrying a crying baby and leading a 5 year old on a mini horse (who is feeling a bit green after all this rain) doesn’t feature on anyone’s list of favourite things to do. I actually hate it! Poor baby Dusty! and poor everyone else!! 💔

1/4 mile with DD and Madelaine. Chilly still but sunny out.

We met our neighbor who was walking her two German Shepherds. The dogs are very well behaved, they were curious but respectful. We have three dogs, two elderlies and a young dog so the ponies are accustomed to them.

They treat all dogs alike…with a lofty disdain. 😂

Back