Walking/Hiking with our minis and ponies - Mile Tracker!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I do the same. My horses are not allowed to snatch at the grass until I give them their cue, which is me pointing at the grass.

When I was riding I would scratch withers to let my horse know he could have some grass. Some people I rode with would whistle when they wanted their horse to pee 🤣🤣

I think I should start incorporating a ‘you can graze’ signal into our lexicon... We just moved Apaché to the paddock/back yard. He is so fat right now! Damn all this rain making the grass grow like crazy! No more grass my cute little fat burger!

Attachments

• EC1BB463-0162-4E54-880D-F502004C6EB2.jpeg
    EC1BB463-0162-4E54-880D-F502004C6EB2.jpeg
    614.4 KB · Views: 4
Welcome Marn4! Please do join! 😊 As you can tell it is highly individual with no formal rules, just be safe and have fun!

I love this activity, the interaction with others, and the motivation to get out and walk! Last year I know we walked more than previous summers because of this thread, and this year started walking sooner. Our weather the past couple of weeks, however, has been wet, windy, snowy, and cold. The high today is 27 with a stiff wind and a feels like of 14….phooey!

Added bonus- a place to whine! 🤣

Two miles with neighbor. She led Midnight and I had Dapper Dan. Wind moderated a little so we went for it. Checked out the new utility poles going up nearby and progress of gardens. Averted our eyes from the drought-stricken wheat. Insurance will not total the crop if it can make 10 bushels per acre--which does not cover the cost of production.

Between fertilizer costs and weather it's going to be a rough year for farmers I think. 10 bushels an acre seems like nothing to me but I have never farmed, what does an acre usually yield?
Two miles with neighbor. She led Midnight and I had Dapper Dan. Wind moderated a little so we went for it. Checked out the new utility poles going up nearby and progress of gardens. Averted our eyes from the drought-stricken wheat. Insurance will not total the crop if it can make 10 bushels per acre--which does not cover the cost of production.

Between fertilizer costs and weather it's going to be a rough year for farmers I think. 10 bushels an acre seems like nothing to me but I have never farmed, what does an acre usually yield?
A super harvest would be 50-60 bushels for wheat. Just bare profit would be 25. Some farmers here have already plowed it up. Our ponds are all dry.

April 24: This past week has been a wet one but grabbed 1/4 mile with Tinker today between the rain showers.

I hate writing that knowing how many places are hurting for any moisture and wish it were possible to push it where needed most. 💔
Lovely to think of you and Tinker on a brisk walk between April showers.

You must have been using a paper map, HersheyMint! How many inches make a mile on the map's legend?🤔 Since you're from Southern CA, are you now close to me in NC? If so, feel free to swing by for a visit.😆
I would love to stop by and see you. Keep the barn door open for me👍😂

Latest posts

Back