Walking/Hiking with our minis and ponies - Mile Tracker!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cannot wait to take mine on hikes! Right now we are walking outside the pasture but staying in the yard. Since they won’t be a year until June and July I’ve been worried about taking them on a trail. This is the first time I’ve had horses that I’ve had to train so it’s all new to me. Do you guys suggest desensitizing extensively before we venture out or handle situations as they arise on the trails?

Hi Amyln29! 👋 There are many ways to work with your minis and what you are doing sounds like a solid start. Leading them in the yard, up and down the driveway, and leading them around the pasture are all good ways to get acquainted with each other and basic commands: halt, walk, circle left/right, make a figure 8, take a step backwards.

I have also used the time to get them acquainted with a blanket or raincoat gently laid across their back, not tied on, just laid on. When the mini was comfortable we would take a step or two and if it slithered off that was another little experience.

Also walking over a branch, hula hoop, hose, through puddles, open and close the mailbox, were helpful for me/us.

Do you have a trail within walking distance of your home? If so, whenever you feel ready, if possible, bring a friend and go for a short walk!

Be safe and have fun! Also walking in your own backyard ‘counts’! Maybe send in your laps or circuits or minutes! 😊

Hi Amyln29! 👋 There are many ways to work with your minis and what you are doing sounds like a solid start. Leading them in the yard, up and down the driveway, and leading them around the pasture are all good ways to get acquainted with each other and basic commands: halt, walk, circle left/right, make a figure 8, take a step backwards.

I have also used the time to get them acquainted with a blanket or raincoat gently laid across their back, not tied on, just laid on. When the mini was comfortable we would take a step or two and if it slithered off that was another little experience.

Also walking over a branch, hula hoop, hose, through puddles, open and close the mailbox, were helpful for me/us.

Do you have a trail within walking distance of your home? If so, whenever you feel ready, if possible, bring a friend and go for a short walk!

Be safe and have fun! Also walking in your own backyard ‘counts’! Maybe send in your laps or circuits or minutes! 😊

Thank you!! This is very helpful!! I will definitely work on all the above! We have walked through puddles and I have a wet weather creek in the backyard so we also practiced crossing that! Unfortunately I do not have a trail within walking distance so I would have to transport them to a trail but it’s very close! We have also been working on loading and unloading with the trailer. Thank you for all this advice! I’m so glad I found this forum! Everyone has been so helpful and I love reading everyone’s adventures!! 😊

Amyln29, just to add to what MaryFlora says, I think you can go on the trail anytime as long as they lead well. If they lead reliably and give to the halter pressure and basically put their feet where you ask them to, then you have all the tools you need to handle any situations that arise on the trail (scary things or whatever). I would definitely, though, suggest having a person per pony at least the first few times since at least with my pony, there have been times where he needed 100% of my attention and both my hands! However, that was me taking him out all alone, so having two that can be a comfort to each other is probably easier and they are probably less likely to really get bothered by things out there.

Amyln29, just to add to what MaryFlora says, I think you can go on the trail anytime as long as they lead well. If they lead reliably and give to the halter pressure and basically put their feet where you ask them to, then you have all the tools you need to handle any situations that arise on the trail (scary things or whatever). I would definitely, though, suggest having a person per pony at least the first few times since at least with my pony, there have been times where he needed 100% of my attention and both my hands! However, that was me taking him out all alone, so having two that can be a comfort to each other is probably easier and they are probably less likely to really get bothered by things out there.

thank you! I will definitely need to bring someone with me 😆 Even walking around the yard I’m surprised at what makes them slightly skittish! 😜 thank you for the advice!

About 2 miles with Rowan today. Worked (with some good success!) on not grabbing for grass - we have to traverse large hay fields and an airstrip between trails and my goal for this year is that when he's not in the bridle, we don't have constant grabbing for grass (he's very good while in the bridle for the most part). It gets challenging when the hay gets up to his chin in height but we'll do what we can.

Walked DD down our road to the stop sign at the county road. We stopped to admire the scenery and …..look what we found. 🤣 Didn’t Kelly mention this beverage in a thread several months ago?? 😂 All I could picture was a group of you South Western folk having a party at the end of the road! A small party! ;) C78D2BBC-FC79-4D24-8D21-E4C01D7A16D2.jpeg

Last edited:
About 2 miles with Rowan today. Worked (with some good success!) on not grabbing for grass - we have to traverse large hay fields and an airstrip between trails and my goal for this year is that when he's not in the bridle, we don't have constant grabbing for grass (he's very good while in the bridle for the most part). It gets challenging when the hay gets up to his chin in height but we'll do what we can.
You had me laughing at "when the hay gets up to his chin.." It's like holding a cookie at arms length in front of me, but Rowan would be so much cuter! 🤣

It is really hard to correct him when all he has to do is stretch his lips out to get a bite. For one thing it's ridiculously cute and for another thing if he doesn't even have to move his head to reach the grass, what do I expect him to do, go around with his nose in the air? Trotting helps, then he just goes along with his lips stretched out and about every 12th try he manages to snag a seed head. 🤣

Kind of reminds me though when I tried a brief experiment with my Arab of making a deal with him that he could grab grass on the trail provided he continued moving along at the pace I had asked for. About the time I was hurtling along at an extended trot with an effectively headless horse under me, I discontinued that trial!

I’m undecided on the graze while you go kinda thing... I know it’s good for horses’ digestion... but does nothing to encourage respect or consideration for the non horse people in the relationship 🤣. ie me. But grazing as a herd, ie me leading him to green pastures for some pick and expecting nothing in return is also always a really bonding experience for us too.

When I am training my horses in groundwork, obstacle, hunter/jumper, etc. we are in a grassy pasture, and in the summer the seed heads can get quite tall. My horses know not to snatch, even at the trees or anything close to their nose, until I give them permission. I do that by petting them. Then they know work is over and I let them graze on the lead for awhile.

Latest posts

Back