waiting for vet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHANA

Reaction score
Well I went to do chores this morning and my stallion, Oneka's Devil After Dark, was acting funny, he would shake his head and try to rear, try to walk forward and then would trip over his back legs. When I took him out of the paddock he would walk fine, then would fall and sit on his haunches, get up and walk normal again. Not sure what is going on, he eats well. I have him in the barn and am waiting for the vet, any suggestions on what could be causing this???
default_sad.png

I was also told ear infections could cause neurogical problems. Though he could have injured his neck since he won't turn his head much. I hate waiting for the vet. :-(

I hope the vet comes soon as the waiting is driving me nuts. My husband is in the barn with a cow and calf and is keeping a eye on Dev. He has his cell phone and will phone me if he gets worse. I just hate waiting for the vet.

Hope your vet gets there as quickly as possible. It sure sounds serious. WNV came to mind when I read about your boy. You may find this helpful, and you can mention the other disorders as well to your vet to help him/her possibly isolate the exact cause of your boy's symptoms. Good Luck!

What to Look for in Your Horse:

Horses and other members of the equine species become infected following being bitten by a mosquito carrying WNV. The symptoms relate to the central nervous system, because the virus causes an encephalomyelitis or brain and spinal cord infection. Symptoms include listlessness, depression, loss of appetite, stumbling and incoordination, weakness of limbs, muscle twitching, partial paralysis, inability to swallow, head pressing, recumbency, convulsions and death. Fever may or may not be present. The symptoms will progress from the very early, mild symptoms through to recumbency and death in a period of five to seven days.

These symptoms are easily confused with other nervous system disorders in the horse. Diseases to be considered when making a diagnosis include rabies, sleeping sickness, equine viral rhinopneumonitis, equine protozoal myeloencephalitis, and tetanus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well vet left about 30 minutes ago. Not good news and not bad news yet. Dev has head trauma and swelling on the brain. Vet said there is a 50/50 chance he will make it but I won't know for weeks if he is going to pull through and it could take months for him to heal. Vet said the head trauma was not caused by a kick, way to big of an area, figures he probably was running and tripped and hit his head. We'll never know. He said I will know if he is getting worse as he will not be able to get up at all. He said it is a good sign he is eating, drinking, pooing and peeing.

More
default_pray.gif
coming his way, hope the 50% chance is good news, keep us posted..

So sorry to hear about your poor guy.

Yes, eating and drinking are a good sign.

Maybe someone has some ideals now that you know what is wrong...

Can the vet give him anything to help at all.
default_no.gif

Did he not give him any steroids or anything to aid in keeping the swelling/fluid build up around the brain to a minimum to help get him through this?

I was going to ask the same thing as Mona. What is he being given to reduce the brain swelling?

I sure hope he begins to improve quickly.

Charlotte

Yes he is on penycylan and something else for the swelling, not sure what the name is though. After he gave him this he seemed a bit better. When I left him he had drank some water, and was eating his grain.

I also wonder if you can give him aspirin for swelling?

Oh just read your reply above, so good he gave him something.

Keep us updated.

I spent most of the late afternoon and early evening him and he seems much better, more alert, not stumbling when he walks or shaking his head. Vet said as long as he stays up and eating and drinking he should be fine. He said I'll know he is worse if he is down and won't get up. When I gave him his grain tonight, he was at the back of the stall and he walked to the stall door to get his grain, something he would not do when the vet was there, he tried but fell down.

Saying big prayers for your boy!! We lost a wonderful gelding to a head injury. He ran head first into a fence post but died within in minutes. At least he didn't suffer but still so hard for us. It's great news that your boy seems to be improving. Hugs to you both.

Shawna this is so sad you must be besides yourself. I have had a head trauma in the past where my pony was kicked in the head but I saw it happen. I have to wonder how your vet came up with head trauma and not anything else? Sending you best wishes for a very speedy recovery.

I am so sorry you are going through this with your precious boy. I hope he continues to improve, and is 100% soon. Poor little guy

Marty the vet gave him a complete exam from head to toe but you can see his head is swollen above his left eye.

Latest posts

Back