Update on Sonny (world's worse feet)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
This is an update on my old senior quarter horse Sonny who suddenly just came up drop dead lame 2 weeks ago out of the clear blue:

We have always had bad feet to the point of ridiculous but Sonny has never been lame until now.

We suspect this whole thing could have been due to a rain we had a couple of weeks ago

that encouraged lush and sweet fall grass to grow practically over night here (Sonny is never dry lotted)

This is pretty much where we started a couple of weeks ago:

The heels had grown unusually fast and huge

Toes extremely sore

Heels and bulbs very sore, everything just sore sore sore

White line disease was suspected (by me)

Navicular was suspected (by me)

Laminitis was suspected (by me)

Contracted heels suspected (by me)

Deep huge crevices invited thrush but I had the thrush under control

You can see the line that goes up above the frog, like a little slit there. For some reason

I suspected that thrush may still be alive and hiding in there so I began flushing it with a

syringe (without a needle of course) a few weeks ago. Turned out that was a smart move on my part (I can't believe I did anything smart) because the vet in fact found old thrush still in there, but it was dead.

The vet was able to take down some heel last week but it didn't give him any relief and said we need a corrective expert

(That wavy line you see is just where I spilled iodine all over his feet)

From the front, it doesn't even look like he is long or in need of a trim, just a little rasping right?

Until you pick up the bottom and oh my gosh the mess under that foot!

Front right

AFrontRight.jpg

Front left

FrontLeft.jpg

My new vet (Donna) and Sonny's new farrier (Nora) both came today and worked together applying the

The Pete Ramey barefoot hoof trimming method. What a fabulous team. :aktion033:

Here are today's findings:

Sonny is in a pre-laminitic state. Scared the crap out of me when I heard that. The feet started to get warm right then at that moment so we soaked them in ice. (Yes I freaked and got wet eyes).

We do not have white line disease or seedy toe. I can't believe I got that one wrong due to all the chipping and cracks. We have some hoof/wall separation and just a bunch

of dead cracked hoof. It was "in the way" so she cut it back until she found live tissue. You can see up inside there now, it's pretty gross. It's not a radical re-section which I have seen before, but it's kinda like that but in a lesser way.

Heels are contracted and are causing the outer hoof walls to flare out so she cut some of the heels back and lowered them and cut that dead junk back too. The heels have to be opened up much more in time.

The thrush is in fact dead for sure so no problem there and she cut out more of the dead stuff around

the frog area.

The soles are very sore, and there is much dead sole that needs to be peeled away in time, but

this cannot be done now because Sonny needs every bit of that to try and walk on.

His feet are wrapped at this time.

Prognosis and my instructions:

I asked if Sonny is every going to walk again because if he will not recover before winter

I will put him down. I will not watch a proud horse like this suffer and drag on sink into

nothing. I was shocked at her reply which was, "He's going to be just fine" and she was very confident. She's not worried at all and is expecting a full recovery. She said he will not founder while in her care; we just have much work to do.

I have to soak his feet daily for now

Order him easy boots , I hate those stupid things but she chose a new design they have out

Put him on Biotin and Joint supplements

Change his feed over to something with reduced sugar, limit grass, and feed mostly hay ( He is going to be soooooo piXXed off ).

I have a call into Purina to see what they suggest I feed him to replace his Equine Senior feed

Anyone have a clue?

She will be back in 4 weeks for the second trimming.

By the way, she has a mini!!!!!!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

(Sorry about the manure in the feet picture but he pulled his foot away and I wasn't fast enough

with the broom when the vet was taking these pictures)

There has been no change as of now and I am not expected to see any at this point.

This is what it looks like as of now:

ASonnysFeetOct.jpg

Wish us luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh poor Sonny, he is lucky to have you as his Mom. Sounds like you are on the right track. Good Luck
default_rolleyes.gif
:

[SIZE=12pt]Oh Marty- I have faith that he'll be fine too. I know he'll be mad about not having much grass to eat, but that's what is best for him. I have Drew on Biotin, but his feed has it in it so I won't have to supplemant him with that anymore. I had a horse with feet that looked like that and I gave him biotin and put crisco all over his hoof top and bottom. It helps keep the moisture in and it's a cheap way to do it. Good Luck.[/SIZE]

I will be thinking of you and Sonny.

It sounds like you have an awesome farrier and vet....how cool to hear.

Take care ....and give Sonny a hug for me.

T

I have a call into Purina to see what they suggest I feed him to replace his Equine Senior feed

Anyone have a clue?
Marty,

Sounds like you have it under control with good vet and farrier teamwork.

I have a friend with an IR mare, and she compiled a list of feeds and their NSC level (NSC = sugar and starch) from many companies.

Anyway, here are the Purina feeds on the list and their NSC level:

Purina Senior - NSC = 22%

Horse Chow 100 - NSC = 16%

Horse Chow 200 - NSC = 18%

Equine Adult - NSC =20%

Born to Win and Mare&Maintenance are both 16%

The rest of the feeds I have on the list are much higher than this.

Hope this helps some

Marty, I feed Nutrena Safechoice. I don't know the exact amounts (will look on the bag in the morning) but I know it is a reduced starch.

Robin

I feel very good about this new vet and farrier. Those feet look pretty good! When I lost Treasure I switch ed Triple Crown Low Starch. I know you may not be able to get it where you are but maybe you can print off this info and compare it to Purina. I loved Purina til the mill shut down. I used to use Strategy. I switched to something else, can't remember what, and well it wasn't the feeds fault it was the fall grass. BUT I love this feed, it has beet pulp in it and no corn or alfalfa...you read..I'll send light and prayers.

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/lowstarchingredients.php

Looks like you've found a farrier(and a vet, for that matter!) who are up-to-date and know the 'right stuff'! You were definitely right about the contracted heels(such a common problem in today's QHs, unfortunately...). I have trimmed the feet of my own(including the mule-well, her front feet; she wouldn't let you hold up her back feet long enough to do anything!)since '84-didn't do my 'big' mare because, until this past year,she was always shod-but I like what I see that your new farrier has done! Minimalist, doing only what really NEEDED doing(lowering the heels, 'cleaning up' the cracks, etc., taking only the 'dead' frog, etc., so that nastiness doesn't have a place to hide), but leaving the live tissue(I've too often seen some farriers take too much of the live tissue of frog, and even sole)..I'd be pleased, as you are, with her work so far!

I don't know what feeds you can buy in your area, but Triple Crown(which is what I feed), has at least one low starch formula. I feed their 'Lite', too...you might get on their website for full info on sugar/starch levels. I feed three of their feeds-Lite, Complete, and Senior--all have beet pulp and rice bran, I think--but not sure about the 'whole picture'. I do like them. He may be pi**ed, Marty, but as a minimally active retiree, he probably doesn't need much grain--maybe just enough to get the biotin and other suggested supplement into him?

I know you're so pleased to have found professionals who can really be of help to your beloved old fellow--am so glad for you and for him!!

Margo

My new mobile vet can be up here within 20 minutes so that is a great thing. She is new and has no hospital so if I ever have something huge, she cannot help that way but for everything else she is great.

The Pete Ramey farrier gal is not local. I actually drug her in from across the state. She has other clients though along the way between there and here so she is putting me on her route with no problem. I was shocked that she had no problem coming way up here to the mountains but she said she enjoyed the ride. She did nothing radical like I was scared she would get knife happy; instead she went very slow and careful. She did not stick it to me either as far as her rates. I paid for a normal trim plus some gas. I was floored when I saw my total bill was only $50. Oh, and for that she threw in a trimming on Nick too. Wow!

I'm going to take real good care of these people!

Those "after" pictures look WONDERFUL!

I also use the Triple Crown Low Starch, this is a fixed formula so its ALWAYS the same ingredients.

My 35yr old mare was border line cushings its really helped her. No fat patches. Her hoofs are growing like WEEDS. It has biotin in it. You can add soaked timothy alfalfa cubes.

----------------------------------- Sugar Starch NSC

Triple Crown Low Starch Pellet 5.9% 9.1% 15.0%

Last edited by a moderator:
The only feed dealer I have to deal with is Purina so I need Purina products.

There is also the local Co-op but I wouldn't buy snot from that place.

I love my barefoot farrier for that reason too! Before we had to put our paint/qh mare down we HAD to use a barefoot farrier. She could trip over flat rockless ground when we got her. Barefoot preformance is a wonderful thing. :bgrin Also, I havent had experience with easy boots or davis boots, but I have used Old Mac boots. THeir a bit more expensive then the other brands, but they work really well. Their like sneakers for your horse. Your farrier is cheep compaired to mine! I pay $65 per horse! Try having 2 done at that price
default_wacko.png
: I can't wait to hear how he's doing in about 6months, you should see a bit of a difference then; we did.

~Megan

Heels are contracted and are causing the outer hoof walls to flare out so she cut some of the heels back and lowered them and cut that dead junk back too. The heels have to be opened up much more in time.

The thrush is in fact dead for sure so no problem there and she cut out more of the dead stuff around

the frog area.

The soles are very sore, and there is much dead sole that needs to be peeled away in time, but

this cannot be done now because Sonny needs every bit of that to try and walk on.

His feet are wrapped at this time.
Don't worry Marty, you will be surprised what just a decent trim will accomplish over time. Now that he's got a better one, he'll be able to use those frogs as nature intended and they'll start widening of their own accord. I don't like the Strasser method of opening the heels and think it sets more horses back than it improves so I'm happy for him you didn't decide to go that route. I'm glad you are getting the easy boots to accomodate his soreness so he is able to move around better and that will certainly help his recovery. Good luck and please give us updates about how he's doing with it all.

Excellent news and sounds like you have a great team working on your horse, including you! Sounds like the old farrier was not cutting out enough sole and keeping things right there either??

Hoping for a speedy recovery for him.. What boots are you using? My friends QH stallion foundered and he is wearing a new boot on the fronts and what a difference- not called easy boot but.... forgot the name! They have support for the frog, sole, etc...- come with 'inserts' of different types from soft to harder.

Marty -

Glad to hear you got help for your horse. As you know, I moderate the Cushings/IR Yahoo forum. You need his NSC level to be way under 15%; under 10% is ideal. Can you find plain timothy pellets with no oats added? Triple Crown Low Carb Complete is good and so is LMF Lo Carb Complete. I believe you mentioned you feed beet pulp - make sure it is not only soaked, but also rinsed until the water is clear.

Good luck,

Liz R.

Here's an idea if you can't get ahold of anything but Purina how about their ration balancer? I went to their website and can't find any starch info. I'd call them and find out about their Amplify or Born to Win, that plus beet pulp WITHOUT mollasus which is 8.75. Can he still eat hay? Can you get a hold of straight grass hay? Is there anyway to give him access to come and go into his stall and out into a pasture?

Bless dear Sonny and especially you Marty for caring so much..it's fate that he lives with you and you are willing to go to that extent to help this poor boy..

I wish you and Sonny all the best!

Maxine

My IR mare is on Pure Pride #100. Works great for her and I have been told DO NOT CHANGE HER FEED. Its working and I will tell you that I put my gelding with thyroid issues on it also and it works great for him too. By the way NICE TRIM!

Well dang it Fred, it sure too you long enough to show up around here!

Glad you did.

I kinda have an update and I'll post that on Friday or over the weekend.

I have a feeling I"m going to have some good news.

Keep your fingers crossed for us please.

Back