Update on Sonny (world's worse feet)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a good farrier is worth his/her weight DOUBLED in gold!! so glad to hear both your farrier and vet are working with you. how old is your guy?

my farrier is one of those guys who has been around forever and who has seen it all. many years ago he suggested i begin giving tuffy a supplement for hoof health. i asked what the best one out there was, money was no object and i'd do whatever i had to do to keep his feet in good shape. i rattled off some brands i'd looked at and, being a man of few words, he simply said "knox". i said, huh? he said knox unflavored gelatin. i started adding an envelope to his sweet feed 3 days/week. i've been doing this for probably 15 years now and his feet are tough as nails. :aktion033:

Hi Marty

The barefoot trimmer did a great job. If Sonny is still sore then boots for a while work well. If you don't want to do that you can get pads and duct tape them on.

Did the Vet do a blood test? If so you need to request to have the glucose and insulin checked. I soak my hay for my IR Mini and drain it well. He gets collodial minerals with a handful of timothy hay pellets with some freshly ground flax seed. It has taken a little while but he is doing well. He usually gets gimpy when it gets cold, but he is finally gaining some weight and is feeling better. I have tried all the supplements and herbs. There is an herb that could help but it is pricey from For Love of the Horse.

Also, even though the trimmer thinks the thrush is dead, it may not be if it is persistant. I went through that, treated it with Betadine scrub or tea tree oil. But it would keep on coming back. Come to find out that persistant thrush means that it is actually in the hoof and causing inflammation of the laminia. That is why I used the product called Clean Traxx. I am now finally getting dead outer sole and wider heels. For the first time in years his feet look almost normal.

Marla

Latest posts

Back