Marty's Journey

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartysMom

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I thought I would start a thread to follow the progress of our rescue mini Marty... mostly because everyone I know in real life is probably sick of hearing about him 😂
He came to us in late May after being in rescue since December and he's such a character. We are still working on thrush, though not as bad as when I posted about his hot foot... the endless rain here in Massachusetts is definitely not helping, and he was quite sore after his first trim here. I think his feet have a little ways to go after probably years of neglect The good news is he is finally learning how to have horse friends and we started turnout with our other older gelding last week! Here is a photo from when he was in rescue (he had already been there a few months at that point) and now... enjoying a roll with his new buddy. We are working on manners around food but I can't help but giggle at his little squeals!

Attachments

• 1A17FB37-63AF-40F7-A495-D3965C8F7145.png
    1A17FB37-63AF-40F7-A495-D3965C8F7145.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5204.mov
    18.1 MB
  • C503E406-D59A-464C-B5B4-97653F8950E1.mov
    14.1 MB
Marty had a good report from the farrier this past weekend, who said his "elf feet" were hardening up nicely and wasn't too worried about the thrush. I've been hesitant to take him for walks on the road because his little feet still seem very tender at times, but after that we decided to go out for a walk with his new CLB's. He was such a good boy and I think he is happy to get out and explore!

I wasn't able to get a photo because my daughter decided to come along on her bike then wanted help... so I had one hand on a wobbly bike and the other on a mini... but the bike didn't bother him at all and he behaved himself. Now of course I am googling mini horse backpacks to take him hiking.

I was looking at blaze orange since we have hunting near us and his coloring is a lot like a deer. I wonder if anyone has tried an XL dog vest on their mini?

Marty's feet are coming along nicely so I am trying to get him out walking a little more. We went about 1/4 mile down the road and back today... everyone who passes (mostly people driving to and from the large horse farm at the end of the road) smiles at him. He is a little reluctant with leaving the farm and adjusting to his CLB's but doing great - we even went on a trail into the woods for a few minutes the other day!

Attachments

• IMG_5570.jpg
    IMG_5570.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5574.jpg
    IMG_5574.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
Oh he's just the luckiest little pony in the world! How sweet. He's enjoying his CLBs? Man, those little contraptions are just wonderful. I have a set for both my littles and I inherited a full set of brand new Cavello boots that should fit the new Hackney pony, once he's had a trim. I did love the Build-a-Bear shoes in his rescue photo though. I had a set for Jasmine in rainbow when we started doing our care-site visits. The Cavello boots are far more practical though.
Please keep posting updates. We don't get sick of them!!!

Oh he's just the luckiest little pony in the world! How sweet. He's enjoying his CLBs? Man, those little contraptions are just wonderful. I have a set for both my littles and I inherited a full set of brand new Cavello boots that should fit the new Hackney pony, once he's had a trim. I did love the Build-a-Bear shoes in his rescue photo though. I had a set for Jasmine in rainbow when we started doing our care-site visits. The Cavello boots are far more practical though.
Please keep posting updates. We don't get sick of them!!!
The CLBs are great - otherwise his little feet are so sensitive that even stepping on an acorn on the road would make him limp. They're hardening up slowly. We're saving the Build A Bear shoes for special occasions ;)

Marty is getting so brave on his walks - we are going a little farther every time we go out and his feet are getting better even without his shoes. A person driving by stopped today and said - "I thought for a minute that was the biggest dog I've ever seen!" 😂
He's just the best boy!

Attachments

• IMG_1291 (1).MOV
    19.6 MB

Latest posts

Back