Trixie and Carole

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the update - will be interested to hear what the vet says.
default_yes.gif

Hello all

Okay......... here is what Dr. Mike has to say about Trixie.

She is healthy, her frame is substanial he believes for carrying a foal and for foaling. He said if I didn't have dates to go on he too would think she was close.

He currently can see no problems thou. He does think (as we do) that she looks more advanced then maybe she should. But haveing said that ,

He feels there is no need to worry at this point.

Her milk sac is tight but not hot and tender. He too told me maiden mares can be quirky. ( I already knew this)

His service is a 24 hour operation. Thank goodness !! I ask about the drug regumate (sp.) His eyes flashed and said there was quite a down side to it. So I did not pursure that avenue.

The only worrisom thing he mentioned was the dredded "T" word.

Carole

That is good news Carole, how many days is she now? Coco gave birth here to a perfect baby at 298 days so maybe they are starting a new fashion!

You have me lost on the "T" word.

Im glad you asked Renee..I was feeling rather stupid about not knowing the T word myself.

Carole, quite some time ago I too asked my vet about regumate and my vet said the same thing...I was a bit confused myself b/c I thought it was used frequently...I cant recall exactly what he said but I was a bit dumb founded.

diane, could you please explain what perhaps the vet was thinking...side affects that you know of, thanks.

What is the "T" word?

I'm pleased to hear all is well and we just have to wait her out.....as usual! Very exciting and I'm happy for you (and us) !

Twins????

If so I would not even think twice about it. Diane, I am borrowing your pics to help put Carole's mind at ease.

These girls had about a month still to go and yep, they had 1 baby.

/monthly_05_2013/post-8000-0-33519800-1369346419_thumb.jpg/monthly_05_2013/post-8000-0-26507600-1369346627_thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
oh...twins?? very smart Renee

diane I cant believe those girls are still preggo...whats it been now ? 2 maybe 3 years? LOL

Maybe if you show us some udder pictures we can help you figure out their due date. hee hee

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't worry about twins. It is such a rare happening, and in almost ALL instances, the mare can NOT carry to term. There are a few cases where twins have been produced -- but one is usually quite a bit smaller than the other. But again -- such a rare occurence, and your girl is progressing very nicely and is of good shape -- not even as huge as the pictures of my two.

Both the girls above produced small single births, of normal sized foals -- so take a deep breath and relax. All is well.

Hello all

I have not counted what day she is on but June 25th is the 300th day. I was wondering if someone could give me a company name for a foal alarm collar ?

Also I would like to learn about the regumate drug. What exacty does it do? and what are the draw backs to it. I am always wanting to learn .

Trixie is just fine this A.M.

I think the vet mentioned twins because how far along she looked. Trixie had a tummy before she was bred and she does not have as much back muscle as my other mares.

(she came to me this way.)

I thought maybe that would account for part of her appearance now ?

I want to thank everyone for being soooooooooooo helpful so far. I do appreciate the pics of the other mares.

Carole

Hello

Just an update.

Trixie is on day app. 283. All is well.

Milk sac is huge. Hooha very relaxed . Rump muscles no different. ( not relaxed yet.) She is pretty grouchy with her little friends.

We are working on installing a camera system.

Carole

Hello

Cams up and how interesting is this !!

I do have a question . Trixie lays down quite a bit. ( at night ) Is this normal ? I figured as big as she is she probably stood most of the night, however this is not the case.

Maybe she is not as close as we all think ?

Can you ladies with more experience can enlighten me a little ?

Carole

I think we need some updated pictures of Trixie. At 280+ days she is approx over a month away from normal foaling dates (and most mares are going well over this year it seems!) so I would not have expected her to have a full udder yet nor would she look very relaxed behind - are your dates correct??

And yes, providing that she has LOTS of deep bedding in her stall, she will be only too happy to give her legs a rest and spend plenty of time laying down - my girls sleep flat out for hours at a time (snoring happily!) right up to the day/night they foal. I think it is only those without deep beds who prefer not to lay down as they find it difficult to get comfortable on a 'hard' surface.

And is your cam link one that we can also view?

I agree with Anna, she obviously feels safe and comfy and is resting her little legs.

We do need pics though
default_smile.png

In TOTAL AGREEMENT with Anna. The deeper the bedding the more she'll enjoy taking the weight off her little hooves! She sounds like she's doing great. Please let us see more pictures of her! Can't wait!

Hello

I think Trixie is doing fine. I will try to post new pics by Monday afternoon. It did help to have the vet out. ( at least some piece of mind).

We are pondering on the camera and the internet thing. It doesn't help that we are on dinasaur dial-up.

Her milk sac is huge but not real tight. There is some loose skin still on it. I have my fingers crossed that we can make it to at least day 300.

She was only exposed on August 27-30. What day would some of you think she would be due ? I thought maybe I did not calculate the date correctly.

I came up with about August 4th. I will admit I am concerned about how ready she seems to be.

Thanks for reading and walking through this with Bob and I.

Carole

Hi Carole, its great that you have a camera on her now. I just want to give you a heads up about her milk sac and my experience. This year my mare, that I didn't expect to foal for several more weeks, was very similar to your girl Trixie. Loose skin and not warm at all..but it was huge. I actually commented on it to one of the aunties that I couldn't believe how big she was and actually went out and checked her that evening and all was normal. I didn't have camera on her and had planned on setting it up the next day. Honest to Betsy, it was 1 hr after I checked that I heard something strange out in the barn and went out and rechecked...there was the baby still in sac and poor PNut did not have the energy ( Im assuming here ) to even get up or stand to help it out. The baby was still in the sac.We have a beautiful filly and all went well but when Diane, Renee and the others keep telling people that these mares are Sneeky they sure mean it.I have no idea how long my filly was laying still in the sac there but someone from above had a hand in saving her by making me go out and recheck her. Another point is that we see our mares everyday and sometimes ( in my case anyway )get complacent, we don't see the changes that others see when they get pictures once or twice a week...especially when someone puts the 2 pictures side by side..... I haven't read your whole thread so I don't know if you have used the strips yet but I guess what Im just trying to hit home is just how dang fast these mares can go from 0 to 60. Im really not trying to scare you and I hope I didn't come across like it.

"It did help to have the vet out. (at least for some piece of mind)".......makes me laugh because I think my piece of mind calls to the vet sent he and his family on his Aruba vacation this year. LOL I hope all goes well for you sooner rather than later and you will soon have a beautiful wee one to enjoy for the Summer.

heidi

Well put Heidi! Carole, both of Heidi's mare foaled approx a month early this year, just to be different from nearly all the other mares on here - I think they did it because they heard Heidi talking about marestare, and they wanted to prevent us Aunties having the pleasure of all the chat that we do while patiently watching for babies to arrive! LOL!!

Carole, I never really bother too much about dates/days, I have a covering date and simply 'call' the due to foal date as one month before (11 months) to give me an approx idea. I then watch the girls closely and as soon as they show any signs of gettng an udder (which is normally 4 weeks approx before they are due) they are stalled at nights and watched. In all my years of foaling mares I have be very lucky in that they have all had nice full udders showing before they foaled, plus most of them have followed another of the 'getting closer to foaling' signs by having an udder that has not reduced in size/feel after a day out in the fields. That fact, plus the other 'close to foaling' signs that I also watch for, gives me the clue that there will not be long to wait before I will be welcoming a new baby.

With or without a camera (and I only had cameras a couple of years ago) the mares are seen and checked by me or my daughter several times every night from the moment they are stalled at night - we have never relied on just watching a camera, preferring to get outside with the girls, giving more hay where necessary and clearing up any droppings to keep the stalls clean incase they should suddenly foal. My girls really love all this night time activity, they like the company, enjoy the scratches and the attention and become very relaxed about having us pop in and out which is very useful when it comes to being with them at foaling time. Once they are close to foaling we camp out with them with enough coffee, tea and nibbles to last the night as this is the ONLY way to be present as the early stages of labour start, giving you the chance to make plans (notify the vet) should something look/seem wrong early on, or if all goes well, to be there to make sure the new baby clears the birth sack quickly if it doesn't 'break' immediately.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the pictures of Trixie - I'm sure you know the requirements, down at Trixie's level, one from side on, one from the rear, one of her udder and one of her udder from the rear with her tail just moved sideways - so that we can see how she is progressing and try to help you get this baby safely delivered with as little stress to your good selves as possible!
default_yes.gif

The only experience I have in this situation was last year when one of my girls bagged up really fast and foaled 6 weeks early ( due date was exact as she was hand bred) the foal did ok but he needed a lot of help getting started.

I think you need to check all other signs to see if she is close to foaling or just a early/slow udder producer.

Does she have any discharge at all on her hooha?

Looking forward to new pics to see how she looks now
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back