Trixie and Carole

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello

ph is no higher than 6.8. Could be a bit lower. Hubby and I are going back and forth on the closest number. He says 6.8. I say a bit lower.

sounds like she's on the final lap! Watch carefully, as she can drop and foal in 1 day with that pH. Happy foaling!! Don't take your eyes off her!

Great News !! Yes, it can go lower and it will go fast so she may foal even before you get a chance to recheck. So like diane says..don't take your eyes off her and get all your foaling stuff and camera ready. ...and pray you have no thunder storms today/tonight!!! Good Luck and Safe, Happy Foaling!!

july 3rd 022.JPGjuly 3rd 016.JPGJust a little update.

Trixie is fine and still very much preganet. (sp).

We have strawed her stall and we are keeping an eye on her. She loves her straw. We have moved the moniter to the bedroom for better viewing. Her ph looks to be about 6.8 to 6.4. I think she looks a ways off but looks can be decieving. I will post a pic or 2 from last evening.

So glad you have hubby there to watch with you - one can sit and watch the monitor while the other has some snooze time on the bed fully clothed. I say fully clothed as many mares have been known to foal before their watchers have had time to get dressed!!

At the first sign of her pacing her stall or doing a second pile of droppings very soon after the first, get out there with her straight away. As soon as the little white 'bubble' appears look and check for two hooves (one will be slightly behind the other), another contraction and you can gently feel inside her for the 'knob' of the nose - all present and you are good to go, gently helping her to give birth as she has each contraction. One leg and the nose coming, dont wait, get her up and walking round to stop the contractions and call the vet. The vet will be able to reach in and fetch the 'lost' leg forward if you have been able 'stop' the birth before things go too far.

I'm sure everything will be fine, but I just wanted to draw your attention to the need for these early checks as it is so much easier to correct any problems before the foal progresses too far through the birth canal.
default_yes.gif

Good luck and safe foaling - looking forward to the Happy Announcement!!

With a 6.4 I'm wishing you a happy and safe foaling of a healthy little one! I'll be waiting to read an announcement!!

Heading to bed early tonight but wanted to see if you had any news for us first...hope all is well. it wont be long now and you and hubby will be able to get some sleep. Good Luck!

Well it's morning here in the UK, but guess it is still the middle of the night with you! Keeping my fingers crossed that all is well and that you will soon have a little baby scampering around.
default_yes.gif

July 4th Yipee we made it this far !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only 30 days till due date.

Carole

Im home between catering events and had to run in and check if there were any fireworks going off in your barn yet...6.4 should put it today sometime I would think

6.4 is I think like 24-48 hours? But, we know it can drop from 7.4 to foaling in one day, so it's all up to the little lady!!! Safe foaling IF she decides!

Hello all

I have aquestion. Do the foaling strips get old possible not as accurate ?

Mine are probable a couple years old , always kept dry and indoors, but just wondering.

about a week ago I rechecked Trixie ph level and the spot turned a very dark teal. Before that it was reading 6.8 or so. Its back to reading 6.8 - 6.4.

So has anyone had this happen before ? Trixie is fine today and does not look or act like today maybe the day.

Also there is a fair amount of movement in the flank area still.

Carole

Yes, their accuracy will change over time due to humidity and age -- even though you try to keep them "out of the elements"

They're pretty cheap, I'd buy a new pack.

Okay ............ That could explain things. Thnk you so much Diane.

I will try to get those ordered today.

Carole

She's here !!!!!!!!!!!!

We are not leopard but we are cute !!!

Born about an hour ago. Trying to stand and thinking about finding the breakfast bar.

Carole

Will have a picture maybe later today.

Oh WOW!! Those test strips were working! LOL!!
default_thumbup.gif

Many congratulations!! Hope all went well - cant wait for some pics and all the details. Well done Trixie!!
default_yes.gif

baby 025.JPGbaby 020.JPGbaby 020.JPGHello

Here are some details. Little one is not quite 19 inches tall. Striped hooves and pretty blue eyes. Not a white hair to be seen. Born about midnite and the sac so heavy and attached like nothing I had ever seen. Baby was out of sac but cord (sac was very much attached.) We had to cut it with wire cutters. Foal was not able to stand until freed of this. I looked sac over and inside of sac was more or less purpleish colored. Baby has poohed

but Trixie has not pooped since 10 oclock last nite. Trixie and baby are out for some exercise for an hour or 2. Trixie is very watchful and is at ease

with Bob and I close by. I am careful to not get between Momma and Baby.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry about Trixie not pooping -- they clear their systems just before foaling. Start giving her soft wet feeds several times today and tomorrow, and it will help start her system again.

Baby is just beautiful!!!!! And so lucky that Trixie gave you this pretty little one on a weekend -- so you can spend lots of time enjoying this miracle!!

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!!

As Diane said, mares often dont poo again for 24 hours - they have cleared their system out pre foaling. This is why you need to offer lots of small wet feeds for the first couple of days plus their normal soft leafy hay of course and any grass available when they are outside. Dry feeds can cause a blockage and therefore colic.

And you are right to keep from getting between Trixie and her new baby, Mommas can be a bit possessive for the first week or so.

Love the pictures, she is a really cute little girl - very pretty!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back