The Person Below Me...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, good question. We'll just make it where 'The' doesn't count in a title. Perhaps when we reach 'Z', we'll keep this thread going by starting the alphabet over again (if you guys want). I enjoy hearing about other books that I had no idea existed. There's quite a few mentioned so far that I'm interested in getting.
default_smile.png

Yes marsha, it does start out very sad, as they were celebrating the holy days they could only feed the horses after dark for 30 days, same as them, the poor broodmare passed after giving birth and the stable boy had to bottle feed little Sham with camel milk. Then there was the lose of Shams papers, so he almost wasn't accepted as the gift he was intended to be.

It is also a story of love, faith, and in the power of belief, determination and the power to overcome obstacles. Yes as a child I was sobbing, but also joyful. My copy is so worn and stained, looks like it was rescued from a hurricane, but I will not part with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
(The) Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place by e.l. konigsburg - fiction for 10 yrs & up it says on the book
default_smile.png

Margaret Rose Kane is exiled to camp while her parents are in Peru, so she responds to every activity with "I prefer not to." Her beloved uncles come to rescue her from camp and take her to stay with them to their wonderful house at 19 Schuyler Place. But the gentrified neighborhood wants to get rid of the 3 magnificent towers her uncles have spent 45 years lovingly constructing of scrap metal and shards of glass and porcelain. Margaret Rose is outraged and determined to strike a blow for art, for history and for individuality...

So much fun! I think I have P.

I have a whole series of books that are fun and easy to read called "The Passport to Peril Mysteries" by Maddie Hunter. Well written, easy to read and good for an escape.

Also "Plain Truth" by Jodi Picoult about an Amish teenager accused of smothering her baby. Good insight into the Amish unlike Amish Mafia which I'm still trying to decide if it's truth or fiction.

And last, "Peyton Place" published in 1956. For those of us of a certain age, this is the book that inspired the series oh so long ago.

I like the idea of posting more then one book if you would like too. Just make sure that you keep some options for our next go-around. ;)

"Quicksand" (Eve Duncan series) by Iris Johansen. Do you still miss your little Bonnie? This one sentence, spoken by a male voice in anonymous phone call, is all it takes to drag Eve Duncan right back to that horrifying moment years ago when her only daughter vanished without a trace. Since then, Eve’s life has become an obsession to find her daughter’s remains. Only one man—a brilliant, ruthless killer—knows the truth about what happened to Bonnie. But taunting Eve might be his first and last mistake…

Thriller/mystery

This letter is a hard one, since I have several from different authors that I like, but If I had to pick one,it is:

Relentless, by Dean Koontz,

The description is by, Tor.com

No one can write dogs like Dean Kootz....As he did in Tick Tock, Life EXpectancy and...other titles, Kootz mixes in humor....Like nearly all of Koontz's works, Relentless is a fun, fast read....Superior to most thrillers being published today.

The story is about a mixed collie, and the families six year old, a crazy author, and I'm not going to give away any more.

This letter is a hard one, since I have several from different authors that I like, but If I had to pick one,it is:

Relentless, by Dean Koontz,

The description is by, Tor.com

No one can write dogs like Dean Kootz....As he did in Tick Tock, Life EXpectancy and...other titles, Kootz mixes in humor....Like nearly all of Koontz's works, Relentless is a fun, fast read....Superior to most thrillers being published today.

The story is about a mixed collie, and the families six year old, a crazy author, and I'm not going to give away any more.

Also "Plain Truth" by Jodi Picoult about an Amish teenager accused of smothering her baby. Good insight into the Amish unlike Amish Mafia which I'm still trying to decide if it's truth or fiction.
Amish Mafia is complete fiction!! I live in Lancaster County, lots of Amish.

I meant to add a book but got pulled away last night.

Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austin classic

I can't read her books, but I love listening to them as audio books.

The Secret Life of Prince Charming by Deb Caletti YA fiction, love this author!

After Quinn’s mother makes a list of attributes that she thinks Quinn and her younger sister should seek out in guys, Quinn comments, “We’re not stupid.” Her love-worn mother replies: “You can be smart and not know. And you can know and not care.” Then Quinn’s boyfriend dumps her, and she is surprised by how hurt she is, despite her ambivalence about him. As Quinn tries to sort out her tumultuous feelings, she embarks on a road trip with karmic intentions: by returning objects that her father stole from his former wives and girlfriends, she hopes that her own luck will change. Along the way, Quinn finds a new romance, lots of fabulous kisses, and a 10-foot Big Boy mascot statue, which all add to the story’s fun. Interwoven with Quinn’s story are vignettes with women who share their experiences with her and deliver lessons about men: “If a guy seems to need saving, call the Coast Guard.”

Kim,

That's good to know it's fiction!!! I never thought of the Amish that way before the show.

The letter "S"

Suzannes Diary for Nicholas, by James Patterson,

It's a love story about family, loss, new love and hope.

Katie has found a new love, at last. One day he dissappears from her life, leaving a diary behind, and as Katie reads it she realizes that is written by her new lovers lost wife to her son, Nicholas. It is written to tell him how she met the love of her life and how he came to be.

Is it a cheat to say the True Blood / Southern Vampire books by Charlaine Harris? Those books are SO much fun... I just love them. The HBO series is okay, some notable differences from the books, but -- of course -- the books are SO much better!

I feel like I'm beginning to hog this thread, but I am enjoying myself.

The letter "U", Under The Dome, by Steven King

This novel is seriously huge! It's over one thousand pages long, has many, many characters, but is intrigueing.

Anyway, It occurs in a very small rural town, an invisable wall seems to appear to keep everyone in, and all others out. Instead of the townspeople coming together, some of them turn on each other. Too many murders, rape, and lots of hardship. Only one small group of heros can save the town, and the end will leave you wondering!

LOVED that book, Terry!!! I'm a major SK fan!

For V, I say Vision of Murder -and- Vision Impossible, both by Victoria Laurie and from her Psychic Eye series. Light weight but truly entertaining
default_yes.gif

Is it okay to go more than once? So many Ws but I'll choose another series. "The Wedding Planner Mysteries" by Deborah Donnelly is a series of light hearted mysteries based in Seattle and of course the main character is a wedding planner. Easy reading and fun.

Got to share one of my favorite W children's book "Where The Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak.

Z. Z!!! The Zombie Fallout series by Natk Tufo. Walking Dead and general Zombie enthusiasts should be hooked within the first few pages
default_yes.gif

Yeah. So now i see I didn't fully recite the ABC song before my reply. Urgh
default_sad.png
Lol! Jumped ahead a bit, didn't ya Jill? Never fear, we'll just backtrack a bit. By the way, I have the Zombie Fallout series on my wishlist. I can't wait to start them some day.

"X" by Cory Doctorow - Marcus is only seventeen years old, but he figures he already knows how the system works–and how to work the system. Smart, fast, and wise to the ways of the networked world, he has no trouble outwitting his high school’s intrusive but clumsy surveillance systems. But his whole world changes when he and his friends find themselves caught in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco. In the wrong place at the wrong time, Marcus and his crew are apprehended by the Department of Homeland Security and whisked away to a secret prison where they’re mercilessly interrogated for days. When the DHS finally releases them, Marcus discovers that his city has become a police state where every citizen is treated like a potential terrorist. He knows that no one will believe his story, which leaves him only one option: to take down the DHS himself.

Ok, who has a book that starts with Y?

For Y "You Belong to Me" by Mary Higgins Clark. I always enjoy her books. Excerpt from Amazon.com In this breathtaking new novel from the reigning diva of suspense, a psychopathic killer stalks lonely women aboard cruise ships -- giving grisly new significance to the lyrics of an old sweet song...

One of my favorite classics from long ago, "The Yearling" by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. Description: Young Jody adopts an orphaned fawn he calls Flag and makes it a part of his family and his best friend. But life in the Florida backwoods is harsh, and so, as his family fights off wolves, bears, and even alligators, and faces failure in their tenuous subsistence farming, Jody must finally part with his dear animal friend."

I had to read The Yearling many years ago in school and I just cried and cried.

OKAY, I sang the ABC song just now and that brings us to where I jumped the gun to recommend the Zombie Fallout Series by Mark Tufo.

SO (again) -- A:

And One Last Thing, by Molly Harper. I love Molly's quirky leading ladies. This is a romantic comedy kind of a book and is, as far as I know, her only non-paranormal published novel. I enjoyed it a lot! I like her "Nice Girls Don't / Jane Jameson" series better (OMG, so fun! You'll want to BE Jane!), but this was also very good. Light, fun, enjoyable, and endearing
default_yes.gif

I watched The Yearling when I was little. Never again! It's on my 'stay away from' list, along with Where the Red Fern Grows. Followed closely by Old Yeller. I did have to read Where the Red Fern grows with my sixth graders last year and I was not happy about it! Lol.

Below The Surface by Karen Harper. Mystery about a woman who is scuba diving and resurfaces to find her twin sister and their boat gone. Abandoned in the middle of the ocean, she has to swim. She makes it to a small island where she meets a man who has taken shelter there. Together they try to figure out what happened to her sister.

Latest posts

Back