Been researching my "Family Tree"...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWA

Reaction score
For the longest time, I've been researching my Family Tree. So far...this is what I've been able to "turn up" through internet research. Pretty "neato" stuff...
default_wub.png

Starting on the side of my mother's folks...I'll begin with...

My Great Grandfather, William Lee Heigel, was born on March 3rd, 1843 in Baden, Germany. He came to America when he was just 3 years old, in 1846, with my Great-Great Grandfather, Jacob (Hiigel) Heigle. My Great-Great Grandmother's name is unknown at this time, as I currently do not have access to records that remain in Germany.

On August 24th, 1861, with the embarking of the Civil War, at 18 years of age William Heigel enlisted in the Union Army at Terre Haute, IN, and served in Company E, 32nd Indiana Volunteers, receiving an honorable discharge at the end of the war.

Here are some links giving historical document to the 32nd REGIMENT INFANTRY ("1st GERMAN REGIMENT") of the Civil War, that my Great Grandfather William Lee Heigel served with...

http://www.32-indiana.com/history.html

http://www-lib.iupui.edu/kade/peake/index.html

http://www.geocities.com/ind32ndinfantry/monument.html

http://www.civilwarnews.com/archive/articl...diana_peake.htm

http://www-lib.iupui.edu/kade/soldiers.html

http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unininf3.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32nd_Indiana_Monument

http://civilwarindiana.com/reg_history_inf0.html

Although, I have been fortunate so far as to find these links telling the historical measures of the 32nd REGIMENT INFANTRY ("1st GERMAN REGIMENT") of the Civil War that my Great Grandfather served with, I still have not been able to find record of him specifically. Short of this small exerpt to mention his injuries sustained in the line of duty, and noted as follows:

Title: Declaration for Invalid Pension under the provisions of the Act of June 27, 1890

Page: dated 18 August 1890

Text: states Wilhelm (William) Heigel was enrolled on the 24 August 1861 in Co E 32nd Indiana Volunteers and honorably discharged at Indianapolis, Ind. 7 September 1864 and "that he is one half unable to earn a support by manual labor by reason of Being injered on the Head By Falling limb While in line of Duty in Front of Mariata georgia also aflicted With Rheumitis Verry Badley in Hips and shoulders Being laid up For Weaks at a time suffereing With Pain in the Head From that injer My Eye sight is Failing From that injer also."

It wasn't until many years later that his injuries sustained in service to our country were ever acknowledged by the Federal Government. On February 23,1907, William applied for a service pension under the Act of February 6, 1907. In this document he states he was born in Baden, Germany on March 3, 1843. William said he had lived in Covington and Lafayette, Indiana and Kansas since his military discharge in 1864. He was then granted a pension of $75.00 a month beginning in February of 1907, till he passed away in November of 1931.

By the time he was actually able to partake of his service pension, I'm assuming that his aging ailments of "Rheumitis in Hips and shoulders" were noted in addition to his "Being injered on the Head by Falling limb" injury, that was the actual "initial" injury he suffered while in the line of duty. Also, I'm wondering of his place of injury that was noted as "While in line of Duty in Front of Mariata georgia" was anything to do with the historical "Sherman's March" of the Civil War??? Hmmmm...I will definately have to look into that leg of my research at little more too.

In the mean time...

Through the interim of those years that followed his military career among the 32nd REGIMENT INFANTRY ("1st GERMAN REGIMENT") of the Civil War, it's been said that William was to have married 7 times throughout the remainder of his lifetime. But, so far, I've only been able to confirm 5 marriages through US Federal Census Records & County Marriage Records. The other two marriages, I am still researching to confirm the dates of them. These are listed as follows:

***First married to Mary Isabella Schmidt (Smith) on June 25, 1867. In Lafayette, Tippecanoe County, Indiana. By US Federal Census Records, together they are noted to have had 9 children: Barbara E. Heigel, Andrew Heigel, Mary J. Heigel, William (Bill) M. Heigel, Clara Heigel, Frank Heigel, Henry Smith Heigel, Jacob (Jake) Heigel, John Arthur Heigel. To date, I've not been able to find any documention as to their "parting of ways" by death, nor divorce.

US Federal Census of 1880 shows record of residence in Wakarusa, Douglas County, KS.

***Married to Lucy Bowling on August 26, 1891, in Cleburne County, AR. By US Federal Census Records, together they are noted to have had 2 children: Isom Murman Heigel & Callie Belle Heigel. He divorced Lucy Bowling in 1895, citing their marriage was disagreeable.

US Federal Census of 1900 shows record of residence in Healing Springs & Peter Creek Townships, Cleburne County, AR.

***Then on June 1, 1902 he married Ms. S.L. "Lew" Beasley (Hoggard), in Cleburne County, AR. This is my Great Grandmother, and together they had one child, my Grandfather, Clarence Heigle. My Great Grandmother "Ms. Lew", passed away in 1908 when my Grandpa was just 5 years old. Now a widower and overwhelmed with being a father to a 5 year old child with no mother, he gave my grandfather up to Ms. Lew's Sister's family to raise him. They are who raised him from that time through to his adulthood.

Also, it is at this point, when my Grandfather was just 5 years old, that records show that the spelling of his last name is now "Heigle", rather than the previously noted "Heigel". At this time it is unclear as to how that came about, perhaps my Great Aunt was unsure of the correct spelling when she took over in the rearing care of my Grandfather? I will have to look further into that leg of my research as well.

***Then on June 3, 1906, he married Willie Burns in Heber Springs, Cleburne County, AR. He was 63 and she was 17.

On February 23,1907, William applied for a service pension under the Act of February 6, 1907. At that time he was living in Kansas at the Leavenworth Military Home. He stated he was 5 ft.4 inches tall, with grey eyes and fair hair. His occupation was listed a shoemaker. In this document he states he was born in Baden, Germany on March 3, 1843. William said he had lived in Covington and Lafayette, Indiana and Kansas since his military discharge in 1864. William received a pension of $75.00 a month. On June 17, 1908 he was granted a divorce from Willie on the grounds of desertion and abandonment (They had lived together for 1 month). Willie had moved to Indian Territory with her family. At this time, it is unknown if they ever had any children together, still researching that.

***On October 17, 1913 he married Malinda C. Silsber/Silsby in Cleburne County, AR. They are believed to have separated in December 1913, by record of April 24, 1915 where he answered a question by the Bureau of Pensions that he was seperated from Malinda Silsber. At this time, it is unclear if he was actually ever "divorced" or not, and unknown if they ever had any children together, still researching that.

***In 1915 (although still UNCONFIRMED, as yet) he married Malinda Furminger in Morgan Hill, Santa Clara, California. They moved to Heber Springs and lived there or close by there for the next five years. At this time, it is unclear if he was actually ever "divorced" or not, and unknown if they ever had any children together, still researching that.

It is believed that the reason they moved to the area of Heber Springs, AR, for a period may have been that he desired to remain nearby where my Grandfather was still residing (although it is unknown if he ever pursued a fatherly relationship with him) and some of his other sons of a previous marriage, Jacob (Jake), Frank & Arthur. My mom recalls that Grandpa (Clarence) often talked of these older half brothers, particularly Jake, as they were still very much regarding of one another as "Brothers" in growing up nearby of each other.

US Federal Census of 1920 shows record of residence in Francis, Cleburne County, AR.

US Federal Cencus of 1930 shows record of residence in Leavenworth, Leavenworth County, KS.

***This is where the waters get a little muddy as far as a 7th wife. As the last mentionings of a wife I've been able to find so far, are of the last marriage noted as wife #6, in 1915 to Malinda Furminger (although still unconfirmed). However, below in his "Last Will & Testament", he notes a now possible 7th wife of his remaining days, by the name of "Lillie" while now having resided back in Leavenworth, KS.

He died on November 7, 1931 in Leavenworth, KS.

Title: Declaration for Invalid Pension under the provisions of the Act of June 27, 1890

Page: dated 18 August 1890

Text: states Wilhelm was enrolled on the 24 August 1861 in Co E 32 Inda Vols and honorably discharged at Indianapolis, Ind. 7 September 1864 and "that he is one half unable to earn a support by manual labor by reason of Being injered on the Head By Falling limb While in line of Duty in Front of Mariata georgia also aflicted With Rheumitis Verry Badley in Hips and shoulders Being laid up For Weaks at a time suffereing With Pain in the Head From that injer My Eye sight is Failing From that injer also."

Drop Report-Pensioner

Text: William Heigel, 3rd & Logan St. Leavenworth Kans; dated December 17,1931: "The name of the above-described pensioner who was last paid at therate of $75 per month to Nov 4, 1931 has this day been dropped from the roll because of death Nov 7, 1931.

Will of William Heigel

Know are men by there presents, that I William Heigel, of sound and mind and memory do hereby make, declare and publish this my last will and testament

First, I direct that all my just debts and funeral expenses be paid by my executrix hereafter named.

Second, I give, devise and bequeath to my daughters, Julia, Barbara, Clara and Josephine and to my sons, William, Jacob and Arthur the sum and amount of one hundred dollars each ($100.00).

Third, To my son Frank, I give house and bequeath the sum and amount of Ten dollars ($10.00).

Fourth, All the rest of my property, real, personal and mixed and whatever I give, devise and bequealth to my wife, Lillie Heigel and I nominate her Executrix of this will without bond.

In witness whereof, I have hereto subscribed my name and declared this to be my last will and testament on this 19th day of October, 1931.

William Heigel

Signed, sealed, published and declared by the above named, William Heigel, as for his last will and testament in the presence of us, who, in his presence and at his request and in the presence of each other we have hereto subscribed our names as witnessses on the day and year just above written. Roy Murray Joseph J. Dawes

Obituary November 8, 1931 The Leavenworth Times, Kansas

William HeigeI Born March 2, 1843

Died November 7, 1931

DEATH COMES TO A VETERAN OF '61

William Heigel died Saturday morning at home, Second and Logan,

Funeral Tuesday afternoon.

William Heigel, a veteran of the Civil War, died at his home, Second

and Logan Streets, at 1:45 o'clock yesterday morning after an illness of

some time. He was born in Germany March 3, 1843, and came to the United

States with his parents when a small boy.

At 18 years of age he enlisted in the Union Army at Terre Haute, IN,

and served in Company E, 32nd Indiana Volunteers, receiving an honorable

discharge at the end of the war. He had been a resident of Leavenworth

for the past 20 years.

Surviving are his widow, of the home address: four daughters, Mrs.

Barbara Atwood and Mrs. Julia Lindsly, both of Los Angeles, CA; Mrs. Clara

Pearson of Fayetteville, Ar; Mrs. Jose Orr, Bentonville, AR; four sons,

William, of Kansas City, Mo; Jacob, Frank and Arthur of Cleburne County, Ar.

The body will lie in state at the Bush Funeral Home until 10 o'clock

Tueday when it will be removed to the Soldiers Home where services will be

held at 2 o'clock in the afternoon. Chaplain Arza Janes officiating.

Burial will be in the National Cemetery at the home.

Of the "surviving children" that is noted in his obituary above, it is unclear which marriage some of them were born of. They are as follows: Barbara Atwood and Mrs. Julia Lindsly, both of Los Angeles, CA; Mrs. Clara Pearson of Fayetteville, Ar; Mrs. Jose Orr, Bentonville, AR; four sons, William, of Kansas City, Mo; Jacob, Frank and Arthur of Cleburne County, Ar.

The daughters Barbara, & Clara, and the four sons, William, Jacob, Frank & Arthur, we do know are of his first marriage to Mary Isabella Schmidt (Smith). However, it is unknown at this time which marriage the daughters Mrs. Julia & Mrs. Jose are of, nor is it clear as to the first actual name of the daughter noted as "Mrs. Jose Orr". Perhaps they are of his final marriage, and it is possible that the daughter "Julia" may actually be "Mary J", who is also from his first marriage, but I don't know for sure just yet, as I'm still researching those. Also, it is unknown why "Henry" of his first marriage, was also not noted as a surviving child along with the rest of his siblings of that marriage. I'm still researching all that though.

My grandfather, Clarence Heigle, was not listed as a surviving child because of his "adoption" into his extended family when he was 5. Also, neither of the children, Isom Murman Heigel & Callie Belle Heigel, of his 2nd marriage to Lucy Bowling were not noted as surviving children either. It is unknown at this time, as to why they were not.

Questions I hope to have answered with my continued research...

1. What was my Great Grandfather's specific role among the 32nd REGIMENT INFANTRY ("1st GERMAN REGIMENT") of the Civil War and how was he injured there at the "Front of Mariata Georgia", while in the line of duty?

2. Why is there (to my current knowledge anyways) no mention of this 32nd REGIMENT INFANTRY ("1st GERMAN REGIMENT") of the Civil War in our nation's school's history books/classes? I have never before ever heard of the existence of this "32nd REGIMENT INFANTRY ("1st GERMAN REGIMENT") of the Civil War " until my research into my Family Tree with my Great Grandfather, William Lee Heigel. Just leaves me to wonder why is there little to no mention of any "German Regiment" influence taught in our history classes? Short of these few mentionings I've been able to come across in the links noted above?

3. Was the "Front of Mariata Georgia" (I know it's correctly spelled Marietta") in any relation to the historical "Sherman's March"? If so, how were the 32nd REGIMENT INFANTRY ("1st GERMAN REGIMENT") of the Civil War involved?

Here is a photo of my Great Grandfather, "William Lee Heigel", taken around the year 1884, (during the time of his marriage to his first wife, Isabella)

GtGrandpaWilliamHeigel.jpg

Another of Great Grandpa William, taken in his "later years".

WilliamLeeHeigel-GreatGrandpa.jpg

I'm not quite sure just how, how to go about finding these things, but I will keep trying till I figure it out.

In the mean time, I have more questions I hope to have answered with my continued research are...

4. I'd like to try to confirm if any there were any children of the last 4 marriages that followed after the death of my Great Grandmother, "Ms. Lew". Plus, I'd like to try to confirm the dates of marriages of the last two wive's noted, Malinda Furminger and "Lillie"?

5. I'd like to look more into the life of my Great Grandmother, "Ms. Lew", and also I'd like to know more in the life of my Grandfather, Clarence Heigle.

6. Then I hope to explore into the life of my Grandmother, Anna (McFadden) Heigle, born in Missouri. Grandma is of Scotland decent...so that's promising to be just as interesting as my Grandpa's heritage of Germany.

7. Also, I'd like to explore more into the life of my Great Aunt that took my Grandpa in when he was 5, when my Great Grandmother passed away, and Great Grandpa William felt it best to give him up to her.

These are my Grandparents from my Mom's side, Clarence & Anna Heigle, are my mom's mom and dad. :)

Here is a photo of my Grandma (Anna) and Grandpa (Clarence) Heigle...

GrandmaGrandpaHeigle.jpg

I remember times as a child when Grandma would set down with me and we'd browse through her old family photo albums, and now I just vaguely remember some of the stories she would share of them. I was so young back then though, and I miss my Grandparents so much! My childhood memories are all I have them, (along with these very few photos of them), so would just like to know more them, and put it down in some form of preservation of them. I hope to someday share of them with my own grandchild, same as I remember of the times my grandma would share with me like that. They are my most precious memories of her.

After I'm able to complete my research of my Grandparents of my Mom's branch of my Family Tree, I then hope to begin to delve into my Dad's branch of my Family Tree. Hang on to your hats when I get to that side of the tree....BOY HOWDY!!!

Here's a photo of my Mom and Dad, taken sometime in the early 1960's.

MomDad.jpg

My dad has since passed away and is resting in the family cemetary behind our family church in Quitman, AR, where my Grandpa Butler (my dad's folks) was the founding pastor of, back in the 1930's, till he passed away in the early 1990's. My Grandma and Grandpa Butler are also resting there, along with several of my Uncles. (This photo of them, is taken in front of that same church that my Grandpa founded).

GrandpaGrandmaButler.jpg

Here's another photo of one of our "Family Jam Nights", where all the family would gather around and we'd all sing and shout to our heart's content. Grandpa could strum the guitar, pic a mean banjo too, and BOY HOWDY, don't get him goin' on a harmonica...He'd blow you away, LOL!

GrandpaButlerGuitar.jpg

I remember one summer I spent with them there in Quitman, every saturday night, my grandma would make a big old picnic basket of fried chicken and some "fixin's", and we'd bring blankets, and head into town, Heber Springs, I believe it was, where we'd lay the blankets down on this small hillside that overlooked one of those "stage shell thingies", I forget what they are called at the moment, but the whole shindig of it was called a "HOOTENANNY". Sort of reminds of what they call "Kareoke Night" nowaways, ROFL! Where anybody that felt like belting out a song or strumming some kind a music maker...you put your name in a hat, and when it was drawn it was your turn to go up and show your stuff. Well, that was our whole "family thing" every saturday night that summer. {{{{Aaaaahhhh, the memories...}}}}
default_wub.png

Well, according to recollections of what my dad used to say, I believe my Grandpa Butler is of British decent (that I know of so far anyways) and my Grandma Butler is of American Indian decent (believe to be of the Seminole, but not yet confirmed...I still have MUCH to research into that side of my Family Tree just yet..)

Well, these are my goals for now anyways. I reckon, I best be getting back to work on them now...

Thanks so much for letting me share...

Warmest always,

Tanya (Trying to discover just what exactly makes me tick, I reckon...LOL)
default_unsure.png

Last edited by a moderator:
"***Then on June 1, 1902 he married Ms. S.L. "Lew" Beasley (Hoggard), in Cleburne County, AR. This is my Great Grandmother, and together they had one child, my Grandfather, Clarence Heigle. My Great Grandmother "Ms. Lew", passed away in 1908 when my Grandpa was just 5 years old. Now a widower and overwhelmed with being a father to a 5 year old child with no mother, he gave my grandfather up to Ms. Lew's Sister's family to raise him. They are who raised him from that time through to his adulthood.

Also, it is at this point, when my Grandfather was just 5 years old, that records show that the spelling of his last name is now "Heigle", rather than the previously noted "Heigel". At this time it is unclear as to how that came about, perhaps my Great Aunt was unsure of the correct spelling when she took over in the rearing care of my Grandfather? I will have to look further into that leg of my research as well.

***Then on June 3, 1906, he married Willie Burns in Heber Springs, Cleburne County, AR. He was 63 and she was 17."

By these dates he was married to two women at the same time.

There are some on line Family Trees that you can enter information into. IF they happen to match up with other names and dates you can end up with a lot more information on other family members.

Hi Susan,

Thanks so much, yes, I'm still unclear on the actual "marital status" at the time of my Great Grandmother's death in 1908, as I have not (so far) come across any documentation to support the possiblility of their having been divorced anytime before then, yet, the records do show that he did marry Willie Burn in 1906.

Same thing in the latter marriages...the water gets muddy there too...
default_wacko.png
There was mentioned of record where he did Divorce Willie in 1908 (by grounds of abandonment). Then the 5th marriage to Malinda Silsber, was documented of that marriage having taken place, but only "mentioning" of their having seperated, never any supported document found (to date) of their ever having divorced...yet two more marriages had supposedly occurred following that one.
default_wacko.png

Not to mention the very first marriage to Mary Isabella...I've not (so far) come across any sort of documentation for their ever having been divorced either. But, I'm searching for all this, and more. This is just all I have so far.
default_wink.png

Just thought it was pretty neat start for somebody who has never researched a geneology of anything other than for my horses before...
default_unsure.png

I'm learning as I go here...same as with everything else in life...
default_wub.png

I have joined the "Ancestry.com", and it's through their archives of Census and County records that I've gotten this far... still a work in progress...I'm figuring my way through it all, as I go...
default_wub.png

I have come to the "assumption" though, that my Great Grandpa was a bit of a "cad" in his hay day...
default_wacko.png
but, still, would love to know more about him beyond his "marital relationships". I thought his "noted" tie to the Civil War was "neato"....still looking into that too though.

Also, in researching all this it just brings me to "ponder" over things, you know? I mean, for "me", I know what motivates me, I know where things like my faith comes from, and who I am through my faith. But, when I learn of my family's heritage, I just can't help but ponder, like in the case of my Great Grandpa, having come from another country, having been born of another culture, and then having been raised in a whole new country during of time of "establishing" it's own new culture...just brings me to wonder over things....you know?
default_wink.png

Like, what beliefs did he have that motivated him to enlist in the cause he chose... what possibly transpired through that, that kept him so seemingly unrested, that he then lived a life of so many marital relationships? I wonder over things like that, you know?
default_unsure.png
Don't know why...just do...
default_wub.png
default_unsure.png

I would like to know too, where exactly is his resting place....and with that, I just wonder is he at "peace"?
default_wub.png

Also, I wonder about my Grandpa's mother, "Ms. Lew", I wonder how she passed away, and where is her resting place? I just wonder about these things...don't know why, just do.
default_wub.png

Additionally, I also wonder about my Great-Great Grandfather, Jacob (Hiigel) Heigel...the original root of our family tree in America, from Germany. I wonder what ever came of him, and where is his resting place?
default_wub.png

You have been doing a lot of research! Very much understand why you want to know about your family... is addictive!!
default_laugh.png

I have been doing family research for 30+ years now... and will tell you some lines are not easy to find good information on. All the info I found on my family was done the old fashion way... going to county court houses, State records, city records and so on.

Internet makes it a lot easier for folks but you really have to be careful because not all the information is correct.

About your Grandfather having more than one wife at a time. Back then it was quite common and not frowned upon unless the other wives found out. My Grandfather on my Mom's side had a number of wives all in different counties. I have only been able to prove/contact 3 of them so far. One family of his,, knew of us but does not want to have contact with us, because they were upset, we rocked their world and view of their father and grandfather. The other family, like me, didn't care and now I have another Aunt and Uncle...plus various cousins.
default_laugh.png

For last name spellings... they happened for a number of reasons. For the Germans back then... most changed the spelling of their last names into something not German. Even back then there were issues being German. Wayy..way.. back ...bit earlier than your (G)Grandpa.... my GGG Grand father came to the USA... in Germany the family name was Krantzdorff.... with in one generation it became Grindstaff and they moved to the GreenMountain area of NC before NC was even a state. Was pretty interesting finding Land/estate/wills and so on for that side. By the time of my Grandmother's birth... there is 1% of any german left, as they married a number of the native peoples and the Scots that lived in the hills.

My Moms Mom (my Grammy), Grammy's father was an Amireau (as spelt in France), then it changed in Acadia/Nova Scotia to Amirault.... and in the USA,, Amiro.

Makes ones wish they all could spell well back then!

Go to civilwardocs.com and you can order copies of all his civil war records ! I have recently used them and was very pleased with the results!

Thanks so much Shari... I feel better now, that it seemed to be common for immigrants to change the spelling of their names back then. So far, on my grandpa's side, it's gone from "Hiigel" originating from my G-G-Grandpa Jacob, to Heigel through my Gr-Grandpa William and then to (and still to this day) spelled as Heigle, through my Grandpa Clarence.

I wonder why there was such contempt for Germans, even way back then, LOOOOOONG BEFORE even any notion of Hitler's existence? Seems that this contempt for Germans played some part too, in the squelching of any notings of their very intrical part of the Civil War....wonder why that was????
default_sad.png

Also, it wasn't my Grandpa with multiple marriages, LOL. My grandpa, Clarence, was most definately a one woman man, to my dear sweet Grandma Anna.
default_wub.png
It was my Gr-Grandpa William that had so many wives...
default_wacko.png

Kim (Cottongrass), Thanks so much,
default_wub.png
I will definately go look him up through them. Thanks so much for the lead.
default_aktion033.gif

Hi Kim, ok, I just signed up with them, and have sent a research request to the "archivist" there. So, am now just waiting and HOPING to hear back soon, on if/what they might have record of for him. Will post any results of this new lead, should anything come of it. I'm SO EXCITED now though, I sure hope they can find record of him.
default_wub.png
Thanks again so much for all your help.

This is all fascinating! Good work on your part, Tanya!

We also have a question on my mother's side of the family about marital status.....It would also be my great grandfather (my maternal grandmother's father). And yes, the civil war was involved.

Apparently, my great grandfather left a family (and a wife?) on the East Coast just after the Civil War and moved to California where he married again and had 4 girls and two boys.

I have family members who have done what you are doing and were able to put together a Family Tree (with the help of the Mormons).....but that part of my great grandfather's life is still a mystery.

By the way, the name "Burns" is in my family's history too! One branch I know of came from West Virginia and I still have distant cousins there, from what I've been told.

This is all fascinating! Good work on your part, Tanya!
We also have a question on my mother's side of the family about marital status.....It would also be my great grandfather (my maternal grandmother's father). And yes, the civil war was involved.

Apparently, my great grandfather left a family (and a wife?) on the East Coast just after the Civil War and moved to California where he married again and had 4 girls and two boys.

I have family members who have done what you are doing and were able to put together a Family Tree (with the help of the Mormons).....but that part of my great grandfather's life is still a mystery.
Hey now MA, hmmm??? Wonder if there was any possibility that your great grandpa and my great grandpa were "buds" after the war, LOL...seeing as California is where my great grandpa was supposed to have met his wife #6, LOL. Especially, after he was only supposedly "seperated" from his wife #5.... hhhmmmmmm....
default_unsure.png
default_wacko.png

By the way, the name "Burns" is in my family's history too! One branch I know of came from West Virginia and I still have distant cousins there, from what I've been told.
default_saludando.gif
Well, HOWDY 'CUZ! See now.... I just knew there was a reason we were drawn to meet all those years ago, back in Maine, LOL!
default_laugh.png
Just kidding, LOL, I don't know if there's anything to that "near connection" or not, but it is awfully neat how coincidental this is suddenly turning to seem, huh?
default_wink.png

Silly???? I dunno...but still "neato" nonetheless.
default_yes.gif

Hi Tanya,

This is so wierd, but I live in Cleburne County. I know the different families your talking about. In fact my cousin is married to a Heigle. They live here also, about 5 minutes from me. I live in a town called Drasco, about 10-15 minutes from Heber Springs. There are Heigle families in Ida, about 3 miles from Drasco.

Hope you find everything your looking for. My parents both died at the age of 28 and 30 and we children, who ranged in age from 2 years to 10 at the time dont have any idea about our family would love to find out somthing. We are all grown with children of our own now, but it would be neat to find out where we came from. My maiden name was Payne. My dad was born in California. My moms maiden name is Bowman, she was born in Arkansas. My grandmothers name was Stevens from Newport Arkansas. Thats about all I know.

good Luck,

Linda Killion

Hi Tanya,
This is so wierd, but I live in Cleburne County. I know the different families your talking about. In fact my cousin is married to a Heigle. They live here also, about 5 minutes from me. I live in a town called Drasco, about 10-15 minutes from Heber Springs. There are Heigle families in Ida, about 3 miles from Drasco.

Hope you find everything your looking for. My parents both died at the age of 28 and 30 and we children, who ranged in age from 2 years to 10 at the time dont have any idea about our family would love to find out somthing. We are all grown with children of our own now, but it would be neat to find out where we came from. My maiden name was Payne. My dad was born in California. My moms maiden name is Bowman, she was born in Arkansas. My grandmothers name was Stevens from Newport Arkansas. Thats about all I know.

good Luck,

Linda Killion
OH WOW!!!! Somebody pinch me????
default_laugh.png
Is this for real???? HOW AWESOME can this get?
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
Linda, I hope it's not considered rude of me, but do you mind if I ask your cousin's name, and which "Heigle" they are married to? I understand if you don't want to note them publicly, but I'd be grateful if you might could share of them through a private message or email? THank you so much! I have to tell my mom of this, for sure!

Next time you contact your cousin, would you do a favor and ask some questions for me? I'm wondering if she, might know of my mom, or any of her sisters or brothers, or perhaps even my Grandpa, Clarence? If you wouldn't mind asking for me, I'd be deeply grateful to you.

Here are the names of my Aunts and Uncles (all children of my Grandpa Clarence with my Grandma Anna)...

Icy (Heigle) Pearce

Fay (Heigle) Harrell

Linda (Heigle) Calvert

William (Billy) Heigle (He was named after my Great Grandfather William)

Clarence Ervin Heigle, Jr. (We've always known him as "Jr.", named after my Grandpa)

Nora Heigle (Sadly, passed away young, of Leukemia, but I believe she was married and had children before she passed, still looking into that...hard for my mom to talk about...mom still misses her deeply, to this day).

Glenda Fay (Heigle-Butler) Keoppen (My mom, she was married to my dad, Tom Butler, but he's passed away, and she's now married to my step dad).

Larry Don Heigle

Any other information, they might can share too, I'd be deeply beholding to you always.
default_wub.png

Also, my mom sometimes talks about an annual event that's held there in Arkansas, I believe in Heber Springs, but I'm not certain on the exact town it's held in, but it's something called "Family Reunion", where they do annual re-inactments of the Civil War. She says it's always been something she's wanted to go see, because she's always heard through the "family grapevine" that her Grandpa (my Great Grandpa) William Lee Heigle was always one of the persons portrayed at that event.

If this is true, I would absolutely CHERISH the chance to take my mom to this event someday....if we only knew "when and where" it might actually take place every year??? Would you or your cousin happen to know anything about that?

Also, with regards to your family's tree....I can try to help if you like??? I'm no expert my no means, but if you know first names as well as last (surnames) names of your family members mentioned above, I can try to search them too, through the Ancestry.com...or perpaps, you might can do that too, with Erica. It's an awesome form of "family bonding"....would make a great "mother/daughter" passtime to consider.
default_wub.png
Let me know if you need me to help with anything, anytime, ok?

THANK YOU too, again, SO MUCH!!!! This is just TOO INCREDIBLE!!!
default_laugh.png

default_aktion033.gif
Eureka!
default_aktion033.gif

Kim, (Cottongrass), I just received word back from the "Archivist" at "civilwardocs.com". He said they have a huge file of records on him, up to 300 pages detailing all throughout his time of service. I'm ordering the entire file, and hope to receive it soon. THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your helpful advice! I'm SO EXCITED, I can't wait to show my mom all this when it comes in. THANK YOU!!!!
default_wub.png

Warmest appreciations,

Tanya & Family

default_aktion033.gif
Eureka!
default_aktion033.gif

Kim, (Cottongrass), I just received word back from the "Archivist" at "civilwardocs.com". He said they have a huge file of records on him, up to 300 pages detailing all throughout his time of service. I'm ordering the entire file, and hope to receive it soon. THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your helpful advice! I'm SO EXCITED, I can't wait to show my mom all this when it comes in. THANK YOU!!!!
default_wub.png

Warmest appreciations,

Tanya & Family

OH HOW I WOULD LOVE A THREE HUNDRED PAGE FILE:) I got a simple one which was great and am ordering a couple others. Please tell me all about it when you get it!

Kim

I'm doing research in Cleburne Co. and have found a deed where Clarence E. Heigle sells his 1/2 interest in some land to Belle Heigle (later known as Belle Heigle Davis) in 1926. The deed states that Clarence inherited the 1/2 interest in the land from H.S. Heigle & that Clarence is the adopted son of H.S. Heigle. I've never found a deed that shows Belle Heigle purchasing the other 1/2 interest in the land but she goes on to sell it as a whole rather than a 1/2 interest.

Do you think this is the same Clarence Heigle that is your Grandfather? I'd be interested to know if Belle is the sister of Clarence or perhaps wife to H.W. Heigle? I would also like to know know the actual name of H.S. Heigle. I don't find H.S., Clarence or Belle in census records 1890-1920.

Lisa

I've just received some additional information from a local historian. I'm sure we're talking about the same Clarence.

H.S. Heigle is (Henry S. Heigle) son of William Heigle who came to this country from Germany. H.S., born in Kansas in 1878, was also a half brother to Clarence Heigle who was born in Michigan in 1904.

Clarence's mother, S.L. Beasley Heigle, died in 1908.

When H.S. and Belle Dill Heigle married, they adopted Clarence. This was found in the 1920 census.

Belle had a child who died, but Darren wasn't aware of any other children.

Belle is buried at Magness Cemetery and Darren thinks that H.S. is at Magness or possibly at Chastain Cemetery.

Latest posts

Back