Neverending Saga: My New Business Venture, oh brother....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Call me a hermit or a recluse but that is me. The idea behind opening up a consignment shop for tack next door to our flooring store seemed to be the incentive I needed to get back out of the house after 3 ½ years, and run both the family business full time again and embark on my new one as well. I would be in my own element working with all kinds of tack, and I’d have my own paycheck again to support my horses. Perfect.

So they said if I built it they would come… so I did.

At first I was pumped. I had a nasty dirty great big concrete block room that I transformed into what I think is now a very nice country quaint little shop. Keep in mind there is just so much a person can do with a concrete block room and on a zero $ budget. I shampooed the ugly brown carpet on the floor and painted the walls a fresh coat of white paint. I bought blue and white checkered gingham valances for the windows and continued the same blue gingham accents here and there throughout. I was lucky to find table cloths in the same blue gingham for my banquet size table where I display videos and books all learning stuff; some are in baskets filled with a little hay or raffia. I call it my “Equine Education Center.” I made a trip to Dollar General and purchased some silk greenery vines for a buck a piece and added that to soften up that nasty concrete above the windows. At Goodwill, I found silk baskets of seasonal florals and even a large silk ficus tree all for a song to place around. I punched the whole place up with county red accessories: a couple of red chairs for the customers, a little red table and even a red wagon to display more merchandise. The dulcimer music is playing on in low in the background and I activated some nice scents so the shop smells nice and homey. I have one entire wall set up with racks for hanging up clothing, two long saddle racks, and two bridle racks ten feet long hanging up on the walls. The coffee pot is on and I bring in cookies for the customers that I bake late at night. This was my vision and I am very proud of this transformation that I achieved on a dime. Its not wonderful or perfect or professional but I think it’s really a nice clean looking pleasant shop, a place where I would enjoy to look for tack. There’s a little front porch (old loading dock) which is an eyesore so a neighbor gave me an old wicker chair and some of her plants to dress it up outside. You know me, I’ll decorate anything, loading dock and all.

Then one of my very dear and closest friends stopped by to see how it was coming together and notified me that coming to work in my sweat suits and sleeper pants is not an option if I am seriously going to resume my roll as a respected business woman in this town. HUH? Never really thought about that now, but I used to wear suits and long dresses in the flooring store. However, this is now and these are my best sweat suits, my dress-up ones, the ones with no tears or stains on them and as for having to defend my sleeper pants, they are very nice looking plaids; ok one has pink bunnies but they are very cozy and I pair them up with some very nice sweaters. Heck, you couldn’t really even see my Christmas socks inside my hot pink crocks, but darn it, she did! I want to leave my couturier alone and come summer, I’ll wear my long dresses, but that wasn’t good enough for dear friend. Alas, she ragged me out a good one and hauled me off to the store kicking and screaming what fer’. I was trapped in a two by four of a dressing room hopping up and down from one leg to the other with one hand bracing myself against the wall trying on about 8 pairs of jeans while whining to her that nothing fits me right except sweat pants. I insisted on big oversized and baggy jeans. She said “fitted”. So she’s outside the dressing room hollering for me to “shut up and push, pull, and jam it ” and on that note I swore if she had attracted a crowd thinking I was giving birth in there, or something else, I’d kill her. Well she won and I was forced to get a couple pairs of dress jeans that are fitted, then some brown leather fashion ankle boots with a 2 ½” heel to my horror, and a ton of make up to experiment with. Gads, make up too? Back home she then attacked my closet jerking out my blazers and pull overs and throwing them all over the bed. If that wasn’t enough adding insult to injury, she drug out my jewelry chest looking for “the good stuff” and instructed me to make some decent outfits or else. OK, game on. Off I went packing the next day to work in one of these new outfits and Dan and Hus agreed I was styling and looked good but I don’t like it much. The “fitted” jeans look great as long as breathing isn’t required and I don’t have to move and inch, sit down or bend over. I tried to walk in those jeans but it was like a Charlie Chaplin kind of walk-scoot and it hurt! If I attempt to walk in those jeans my vitals take a nose dive and my respiratory system will completely shut down. So there I stand. Still. Frozen in time. Can’t move in the jeans. The fashion boots are indeed a wonderful statement for Kim Kardashian, not me. They look terrific on my klutzy feet as long as I don’t have to walk one inch or stand up because I know I will tip over. I tried to come out from behind my desk holding onto it with the death grip, but honestly, the only comfortable position for me in this whole get-up seems to be laying down flat on the floor. That’s out too because I’d need help getting up and our forklift is usually busy lifting other things back in the warehouse. The only thing that doesn’t hurt is the nail polish. As for the makeup, I tried. Yes I tried to apply make up her way,…….then I began to hear voices.

So back to business, I put flyers out all over town and the town responded as I had hoped and soon my store was filling up here and there with merchandise. I saw old friends who I missed, and was scared poop-less of meeting new people, but everyone was coming in and saying how they loved this shop. I had a little bit of everything you’d expect to find in a tack shop and this was going great. All the show clothing went the first two days and I made $102.00!!!Yup, I was pumped! Horse money! Then it got quiet after that, barely a browser, and no one bringing me any more of anything to put on consignment, but at least, the word was out that I was there. A week later I began to get browsers even from surrounding counties and everyone was complimenting me on what a nice shop I had, but I wasn’t making any sales. None. I kept a wish list where you list your name and number and what you are looking for and when that item shows up, I’d call----- but no one really seemed to want to do anything except to look around. But lucky me, I acquired regular groupies because people I don’t know come by to sit down and chat about everything from horses to their cheating daughter in laws. I sure do get an earful. And since the shop is located on the same road as the Sheriff’s department I have cops stopping in left and right daily for coffee and cookies and to play with my trusty German Shepherd Amy. She is milking that for everything its worth with her cutesy routine. She thinks all the people are coming in just to play with her.

As it stands to date, its more than slow but people are still coming in dribs and drabs and I am still gaining new stock here and there for consignment as well. I may have three days in a row without one customer then the next day I’ll have about five people come in at once who at least eat the cookies. I did get lucky this week because I sold a bridle and a brush and I cleared a whopping $8.50, so it’s confirmed: I’m really not a very good sales person. I couldn’t sell my way out of a paper bag no matter how low the prices are. So what on earth am I doing here? Not even covering gas expenses that’s for sure. I have had suggestions of taking the business online which I absolutely will not get involved in with shipping and all and another website, no thank you. Another idea was to put out a monthly newsletter of handy horse tips and feature the store’s latest merchandise which I am considering.

Frankly, I’m tired of cleaning clean saddles over and over again for nothing. I’ve already wanted to close down a couple of times and it’s only been a little over a month. Given my “poor small town” location, I know this tack consignment shop is a good idea in theory because there are so many horses here, but perhaps this is the wrong time when people don’t have any extra money to spend on horse related items. My friends are all telling me I need to give this a lot more time before I retreat. Its still cold winter weather here; we’ve had snow again just last week, lots of rain storms and no one is really doing horses yet, so I am on the fence at this time whether to cut my losses now and head back to the mountain where my sleeper pants rule, or stay a little longer and give it one more shot. I did put a lot of work and heart into creating that little shop and I don’t like the idea of giving up too soon. With the visions of $$$ for vaccines, worming, and farrier coming due again sooner that I can say April Showers, it is a motivation to hang in a little while longer, but if I remain open I swear I’m going to find something spandex and wear my crocs. They said if I built it they would come and so they did, they just don’t spend any money. And that’s how the new business is going.

amybysaddles.png

store009.jpg

store004.jpg

(Disclaimer: This is not an advertisement in any way shape or form. The name of this store and location is not disclosed and all links to any online movies have been disabled.)And wild horses couldn't get me to do this business online. Thanks ML

Ya know...AMY does look a tad worried in that one pic. Could it be she is worried you will close up shop and there will be no more FUN times for AMY?

Marty I think you have a great idea. Give it more time! I've heard that if you start a business, you have to be willing to take a loss for at least 3 years before it really takes off. You've got a ways to go but it just might be what folks are looking for when the weather changes! Don't give up.

I agree......don't be disappointed! What you describe is actually rather typical........ You got the rush of curious folks and some bought!

NOW comes the FUN PART!
default_wink.png
YOU have to go out to country/farm yard sales....ranch sales....etc..... AND you may even try doing some "cold calls" to various ranches/farms in your county -- and beyond and ask if they may have any used tack they'd be interested in selling outright or on consignment.

Oh, AND.....you need to do some driving around to Thrift Shops and snag any "Show Clothes" they may have. (I used to do that when I was active on E-Bay.) I also found some neat clothes at yard sales.

This means you have to adjust your store hours, or con SOMEONE to man the shop for a few hours when you need to scope the sales.......

You may have found a nitch, if you can ride out this darn economy wave!

I love Amy in all the pictures. She looks like she is posing like a model. Work it girl!

I think you will do great, it will just take some time. The economy is crumby right now, but horse people will always spend money even if it is only a hoof pick.

Good Luck! You always make me laugh with your writing! You are truly gifted!

Chris

Oh Heck Marty, ..you are not giving up so soon.
default_biggrin.png
You put too much time into starting this all up. You dont want me to call you and give you my "keep it going" speech, do you?? You know I will. It will take awhile for your new business to catch on, but in a horse populated area, I am sure it will. People are always looking for a good bargain in todays economy. Another good reason ..AMY, she loves her new job,
default_wub.png
official greeter,
default_wub.png
and attention getter.
default_wub.png
The store is looking good
default_biggrin.png
and so is Amy.

Marty...don't give up, it takes time, our store took some time and they opened it with only a pair of boots , a couple pairs of breeches and a show blouse. It takes a bit of time but our store has now been around almost 17 years and it's known all over the province. We get customers from miles away and people make twice yearly pilgramages to the store from hours away. We just opened our second store 45 minutes away and it's taking a bit of time to get going. After 5 months it just starting to get better.

The warmer weather will help and once show season gets going it will get busier. The horse people will get talking and they start saying about the good deals they got and one by one you will have more customers. Talk to a few riding schools and see if you can put up some adverts and maybe at the local schools? The member who mentioned checking out the local Goodwills and yard sales for horse/riding related items had a great idea. What about sponsoring a class at a local horse show with a prize of $10 off something in the store? Maybe they would let you set up a little table at the show and you could take a few items (show stuff) and allow people to drop things for consignment there?

A website wouldn't be a bad idea. You don't have to sell online but just having your name out there for people who are shopping. You can always get fancier with more info later down the road.

Keep on truckin'!!!! It will get busier and it is a good idea!
default_smile.png
Just be patient.

Don't give up! I loved the idea in your first post and watched your video and thought you did a terrific job! We had been planning to come to Tennessee in April and I even mapquested how long it would take to get to your town from where we were staying because I was coming for a visit and to check out your adorable shop! (Sadly - our plans had to change so no Tennessee for us this year).

So don't give up! You almost had an out of state visitor - so I know you can draw some more locals in, especially as the weather gets nicer and show season gets closer.

Barbara

P.S. - I LOVE reading your neverending sagas!
default_saludando.gif

Your shop looks very nice. Just give it some time. At the very least, you have to wait til after people get their tax returns and have extra money to spend.
default_wink.png

I have a little internet business selling quilting supplies, and I sell some locally (I live in the boonies, so don't get much foot traffic), I've been doing this 7 years now, I showed a small profit last year and a slightly larger one on this year's taxes, so it takes time. After the first year or two, it did somewhat pay for itself, but no profit til now. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but it does take time. I did have my first Open House last September, I sent out invitations to the members of my quilt guild and a few others; it was a big hit and I did pretty good. And, now the ladies are asking me when I'm going to have another Open House.
default_smile.png

I agree with the others, we are just now starting to think about show season a little bit.

Like the others say, you have to be ready to carry the business for a while before you can become profitable.

Are you advertising in any local club newsletters? That might help.

BTW, what size is the Troxel hard hat?

Oh, yeah, no shipping. Oh well guess I'll have to look at them at Equine Affaire.
default_rolleyes.gif

You've still got a good 4-6 weeks or more before the serious, serious riding and showing starts for the year. Have you thought about packing up a van or a horse trailer and taking a table and some of your merchandise out to local shows and setting up a small booth??? Do people in your community gather in a particular spot to set off on trail rides or gather and hold "Poker Rides"? You could set up a small booth where the rides begin and/or end. Do you have a local saddle club that you could join to try to help spread the word? Do they have a club newsletter that they send out once a month? Do you have signs up in all of the local feed and farm stores? Do you have signs up in all of the local vet's offices? Some of the local shows in this area let you sponsor a class or classes at a show for as little as $15 a class and they'll tell a little about you and tell where you are located in between classes. Could you set up a small booth at your local weekly livestock market/livestock sale (if you have such a thing)? Just because you have a website that features items doesn't mean that you would have to offer shipping.

WOW! Thanks for the support and the kick in the butt too!

Seems you all agree that its way too soon for me to be packing it in.

I think I expected too much too fast.

I'm going to be a lot more possitive and get back into promoting the store. I've got a buddy with a radio show and she's going to be giving me a couple of plugs for free and I'll be sending out more flyers to stables in surrounding counties which I made up today. I'm going to quit baking cookies every single night and I decided I"m not wearning those boots every single day either.

Corrine, I'm surprised to you didn't get on the phone and give me "what fer"!!!

Those of you don't know this but last Christmas, I talked Corrine into selling Christmas Trees! HA!

Don't give up yet, it does take a while for people to stop in. I helped set up a used shop a number of years ago, and it will take time. Scour your used shops and yard sales.......also charge people for cleaning their used tack, blankets and clothes. Not alot, but its the principle that you only sell 'nice things' in your store and your time is worth soemthing.

OK MARTY... I am waiting till Saturday to call you, let me know what time is going to be good since your usually at the store. You know I have my freebie minutes over the weekends..and I know HOW LONG WE CAN BE ON THE PHONE..LOL.

I agree that u need to give it time...Rome was not built in a day & think of Amy.
default_rolleyes.gif
Go hit some yard sales too...websites can be free andWOW free plugs on the radio
default_new_shocked.gif
Look at it as an adventure
default_saludando.gif

Great start Marty, what about a free draw monthly for something small.

People like freebies, Good Luck and do not give up yet
default_wub.png

OMG! Your account of the fitted jeans had me literally laughing out loud! Hang in there and try and breathe shallow. lol

As for your business, have you talked to your local 4-H club or Pony Club? Maybe you can sponsor a meeting or two and hold them at your shop? Or maybe you can just do a tack clinic at your shop and instruct people on saddle fitting or bits or something? That can get some bodies in the place who will learn from your experience with tack as well as becoming potential customers. Best wishes!

Rebel, good idea but I am already providing free coffee and cookies. I was also baking horse cookies to give away too.

Corrine, You'll have to call our work number on Sat cause that's where I"ll be 12:00-4:00

Jody: You wouldn't want the helmut. It has two dings in it.

Reijels Mom:Am I the only one that wants to see pictures of Marty in her new duds?!

Troublemaker! Ha! Well you might yet but I tell you I won't be wearing those dang boots!

Today I got lucky! I sold 3 flat back buckets, one corner feeder, a stable sheet, a Billy Cook breast collar, 1 John Lyons video and an Oster Brush. I'm feeling goooooood!!!!
default_saludando.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_488.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_thumbup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty,,, I didn't hear one word about a push up bra to go with those boots!
default_new_shocked.gif
They won't be able to resist!

Congrats on your sales and all your hard work!

Back