The Person Below Me...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld The first book in a four book series, it's fantasy sort of like The Hunger Games, in this society at 16 everyone has a surgery that makes them look "pretty" and more alike to level the playing field so to speak, Tally Youngblood longs to be pretty, but then her best friend Shay disappears and she learns about rebel camp and travels to The Smoke as a spy to try and rescue her friend...

Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. A war is raging between mortal vampires and the kind that never die. A young vampire princess and her best friend, a guardian-to-be, are stuck at a vampire school where it is supposed to be safe. But when the school becomes a dangerous place, the girls must depend on each other as they venture out into the world they have never been allowed to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Xenocide Mission by Ben Jeapes. Book description says.... Lieutenant Joel Gilmore is part of a space observation team who find themselves attacked by the very aliens they are watching. It becomes a race against time for their fellow soldiers to rescue them, but in doing so, they unlock the shocking secrets of the solar system.

Bumping this back up to the top....anyone have a book title that starts with a "Y"?

You Suck, a Love Story, by Christopher Moore. I just LOVE this series. This is #2 in the Blood Sucking Fiends series (three books total), and each are very good, funny and just really enjoyable. He's a wonderful author!!! Not nearly as well known as he probably should be
default_yes.gif

I'll do z - Zelda, A Biography by Nancy Milford. I read this years and years ago. Biography of Zelda Fitzgerald, very interesting and fast reading so if you're interested in finding out more about Zelda and Scott Fitzgerald and that period of history, this book might appeal to you.

Yeah! so happy you had a Z.

Alter of Eden, by James Rollins

Fiction with a touch of actual history

Seven years later, Louisana state veterinarian Lorna Polk investagates an abandoned shipwrecked fishing trawler carrying exotic caged animals, part of a black market smuggling ring. But there is something disturbingly wrong with these beasts____each an unsettling mutation of the natural order, all sharing one uncanny trait: incredidably heightened intellignece. Joining forces with U.S border patrol agent Jack Menard, a man who shares with her a dark and bloody past, Lorna sets out to uncover the truth about the strange cargo and the terrorist threat it poses. Because a beast emerges and is running amock, and what is about to be born upon the altar of eden could threaten not only the future of the world but the very foundation of what it means to be human.

Got to read Alter of Eden. Never heard of it and it sounds like a book I'd love!!! This thread has really been wonderful.

Oh Mountain Woman, I love James Rollins, he mixes fiction with history all the time, and his books make you really think! I just discovered him last year and I'm already in love with his books.

Andromeda Strain, by Michael Crichton. Hope I spelled all of this right! This is a book I really enjoyed quite few years ago. If memory serves, it is pretty timeless and very engaging
default_smile.png

"Bogeyman" by Gayle Wilson - A year after the death of her husband, Blythe Wyndham moves with her four-year-old daughter, Maddie, back to the small town where she grew up. But soon after they move into their new house, strange things begin to happen. Maddie has disturbingly intense nightmares—so intense that Blythe fears one night she may not be able to awaken her daughter. A psychologist explains that Maddie’s dreams are simply the result of her father’s death, but Blythe knows something else is wrong. Because she’s heard the tapping at her daughter’s window…Convinced the house is haunted, Blythe researches the town’s history and discovers that a little girl had been murdered in the area 25 years ago. Could there be some connection between this dead child and Maddie? With the help of Sheriff Cade Jackson, Blythe tries to separate past horrors from present dangers and struggles to distinguish the real from the imagined. But someone is clearly determined to keep a secret—and will kill again to do so.

Crazy in Alabama, by Mark Childress. So funny! 10x better than the movie
default_smile.png
Childress is a neat author. Love his southern humor!

The Dark Elite Trilogy by Chloe Neill - When Lily's parents decide to send her away to a fancy boarding school in Chicago, she is - not happy. Lily's classmates are the ultrarich brat-pack type - and that isn't enough, she's hearing and seeing bizarre things on St. Sophia's creepy campus.

Another Michael Crichton novel, "Eaters of the Dead"

The year is 922AD. A refined Arab ourier representative of the powerful Caliph of Bagdad, encounters a party of viking warriors who are journeying to the barbaric North. He is appalled by their viking customs and their disregard for cleanliness. He has been enlisted by these savages to help combat a terror that plagues them--a monstrosity that emerges under cover of night to slaughter the vikings and devour their flesh.

I must add that I like Michael Crichton, LOve Jurrasic Park, but didn't like this one too much, only bought it because it was written by him.

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews...I read it a long time ago. I do remember that a movie came out and that to me the movie paled in comparison to the book. The siblings in in really looked out for each other as they were the products of incest.

Latest posts

Back