The Person Below Me...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The letter "C" is for Cell, by Steven King,

There are 190 million cell phones, everyone has one. Not too many can escape this nightmare. The cause of the devestation is a phenonomene called the Pulse, and the delivery method is the cell phone. There are a few survivors who suddenly find themselves in the pitch-black of civilizations chaos, and a human hoard reduced to it basest nature....and then begins to evolve.

So glad I got D
default_yes.gif
because I'm going to suggest a book written by a local author and set in our beautiful Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. The book is Disappearances by Howard Frank Mosher. Amazon.com description:

Winner of the New England Book Award, Howard Frank Mosher’s endearing first novel is both a heroic adventure and a thrilling coming-of-age story. It is the memorable tale of a young man named Wild Bill Bonhomme, his larger-than-life father, Quebec Bill, and their whiskey-smuggling exploits along the Vermont-Canada border in 1932. On an epic journey through the wilderness, Bill and his father encounter a cast of wild characters—and live out magical escapades as they carve their way into legend.

And best of all, our farm was used in the movie so if you see the movie, you'll see parts of our farm and we are in the credits too.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That's too cool MountainWoman! I've never heard of the book or movie before.

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. Amazon description - Elsewhere is where fifteen-year-old Liz Hall ends up, after she has died. It is a place so like Earth, yet completely different. Here Liz will age backward from the day of her death until she becomes a baby again and returns to Earth. But Liz wants to turn sixteen, not fourteen again. She wants to get her driver’s license. She wants to graduate from high school and go to college. And now that she’s dead, Liz is being forced to live a life she doesn’t want with a grandmother she has only just met. And it is not going well. How can Liz let go of the only life she has ever known and embrace a new one? Is it possible that a life lived in reverse is no different from a life lived forward?

This book is fantasy, and gives a whole new perspective on life after death. I loved the concept and beauty of it.

Ooooo I finally am in the right time and place to post one of my favorites!

Faking It by Jennifer Cruise

Meet the Goodnights, a respectable family who run a respectable art gallery—and have for generations. There’s Gwen, the matriarch, who likes to escape reality; Eve, the oldest daughter, who has a slight identity problem (she has two); Nadine, the granddaughter, who’s ready to follow in the family footsteps as soon as she can find a set that isn’t leading off a cliff. And last, Matilda, the youngest daughter, who has inherited the secret locked down in the basement of the Goodnight Gallery, a secret she’s willing to do almost anything to keep, even break into a house in the dead of night to steal back her past.

Meet the Dempseys, or at least meet Davy, a reformed con man who’s just been ripped off for a cool three million by his financial manager, who then gallantly turned it over to Clea Lewis, the most beautiful sociopath Davy ever slept with. Davy wants the money back, but more than that, he’ll do anything to keep Clea from winning, including break into her house in the dead of night to steal back his future.

One collision in a closet later, Tilda and Davy reluctantly join forces to combat Clea, suspicious art collectors, a disgruntled heir, and an exasperated hit man, all the while coping with a mutant dachshund, a jukebox stuck in the sixties, questionable sex, and the growing realization that they can’t turn their backs on the people they were meant to be . . . or the people they were born to love.

For those who "don't read romance", I strongly recommend Crusie. Her books are smart and so, so funny.

Not adding to the list at the moment to give someone else a turn but I want to say I'm getting awesome ideas from all of you. Great idea.

Not adding to the list at the moment to give someone else a turn but I want to say I'm getting awesome ideas from all of you. Great idea.
Feel free to post as often as you'd like! (As long as it isn't two letters in a row - I think we could all do a full alphabet each.
default_wink.png
) I've gotten quite a few ideas from here myself. 400+ books on my Wishlist and counting.....
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Gone (third book in the Wake trilogy) by Lisa McMann. A seventeen year old girl is cursed with an ability she doesn't want, can't control, and can't tell others about - she gets sucked into other peoples' dreams. When she falls into a gruesome nightmare, she is no longer a witness to someone else's dream...she is a participant.

Not sure if it's supposed to be fiction?

H - How Good Riders Get Good by Denny Emerson. Subtitle - Daily Choices that lead to success in any equestrian sport. LOVE this book! It has interviews with some of the top riders today in various sports but also has lots of tips to help you with your riding. It's a very straight forward, no nonsense kind of book. I purchased it because of the section, "The Body You Choose To Ride With."

Not sure if it's supposed to be fiction?
Any book goes (fiction or non fiction)! If you guys have horse books you love, those would be great to share too.
default_smile.png

If I Stay by Gayle Forman. After an accident, a girl is caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future. Should she "move on" or stay?

Just hoping to get this going again because there are great suggestions here. For J, I'll say the classic "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte. I've read it so many times over so many years and I always love it.

Just hoping to get this going again because there are great suggestions here. For J, I'll say the classic "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte. I've read it so many times over so many years and I always love it.
I just watched this movie for the first time the other night. Hubby was on midnights, son was spending the night at his grammys and I was home alone. I sat down on the couch and got sucked into this movie! It was great! I'd love to have the book!

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson series) by Rick Riordan. A teenage boy must battle Greek mythology monsters in order to bring peace to Mount Olympus.

Maine Charm String by Elinor Graham. It is the story of people in Maine, set in the 1940's. The author takes up the hobby of button collecting and through it meets her rural Maine neighbors, hears about their hobbies and lives, and how they cope with the Maine winter. A fun read, with a little psychology thrown in, as the author is very sharp.

"The Night Villa" by Carol Goodman. From Amazon.com "An evocative tale of intrigue, romance, and treachery, Carol Goodman’s spellbinding new novel, The Night Villa, follows the fascinating lives of two remarkable women centuries apart."

Carol Goodman is one of my favorite authors. I love the way she writes and the way she uses words. If you love the art of writing, you'll probably enjoy her books. But she's not over the top stuffy either. Just a great, lyrical writer IMHO.

The "ODD THOMAS" series, by Dean Koontz! A character that is well defined, easy to care about, and story lines most people would enjoy
default_yes.gif

I'm back, I just got my computer back from the shop last night, then after gettin on to LB this morning, I couldn't post. Then it wouldn't even let me log in, I think I've got it fixed after deleting cookies and other things. Any way, I love to play this game.

The Postcard Killers, by James Patterson and Lisa Markland

Kanon's daughter, Kimmy, and her boyfriend were murdered while on vacation in Rome. Since then many other young couples have been murdered. There is a postcard that preceeds each murder.

I'd have to say this is a murder mystery.

(The) Quilter's Daughter by Wanda Brunstetter

It is an Amish themed book. I have most of the author's books and really enjoy them-there are a few that aren't as good but isn't it that way with most authors!

Show More

Show Less

R...........

RED MIST!

This is part of the "Kay Scarpetta" series from Patricia Cornwell. I've read every one of these and look forward to all the next
default_yes.gif

Just really good, you'll care about the main characters -- really pretty deeply -- and you may even learn a thing or two!

These books are constructed in a way where you don't really need to read the prior novels, but it adds to the experience if you do. The Scarpetta books are absolutely ones with looking into
default_yes.gif

The Servants by Michael Marshall Smith. A young boy is forced to move to a new city, and live with a stepfather that he hates. As his mother loses interest in doing seemingly normal things, he is left alone to stew in his anger. Until he meets an old woman with an unusual secret....

Latest posts

Back