Tease Looking Close? Maybe? Hopefully?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things seemed to have calmed down in there...Tease is being very nice to her baby...yay!!
default_aktion033.gif

Unfortunately she still wont let her nurse. I am getting ready to feed again. Hoping Tease will let me feed her. Kyle will hopefully be home soon to help

Tease lets her "nurse" on her face, but every time the baby gets near her side/rear, she moved...dang it!!

BTW, keep forgetting to say "beautiful filly"
default_wub.png

Tease is being protective...that's a good thing (not for you, tho)...but her maternal instincts are kicking in! (Course I'm just now watching this...don;t know if she was like this before)

I see Tease has been removed and replaced. I am sending prayers Kay

I hope all is well with Tease - keeping everything crossed and praying that it will all work out. She really is such a doll.

Oh and Slaneys baby is doing well and getting the hang of things with no interference from me. Slaney is playing the doting mom

Last edited by a moderator:
We had to make a decision to separate them. Talked to a vet and sally and at this point I think its the only option. We have her in with Bailey to reduce stress. Bailey is usually very maternal and nurses babies that are not her own. In fact she nursed Tease when Tease was a foal and too lazy to walk to her real dam.

Im heart broke for Tease as she just doesnt understand any of it. But she was getting just so aggressive and no amount of sedatives was helping.

Thank you for your prayers as we need every one of them.

Rusty is going to watch and feed for a bit while I get a quick nap.

Oh no Kay that is so tough and poor Tease after waiting so long and for it to end like that for her. But once she is ok and the baby will be ok things will work out. At least they are both safe.

Great that you have a mare that is happy to adopt.

You've really been through the wringer with Tease! How heartbreaking to have it work out this way, but I do hope that Bailey takes over, much easier than trying to raise the beautiful filly as an "orphan." Congrats on the filly, she is gorgeous!

Sending hugs & prayers, get some sleep, that always helps!

Is Bailey due to foal anytime soon? If not, couldn't you inject her with that one hormone that causes them to lactate?

I am sorry it is this way... maybe after her pain goes down some. Our maiden did the same thing two years ago. Just something about touching her bag drove her nuts. Still does. I touch it ever day and make her stand there to allow it. She is a brat and thinks she is still a baby her self.

She wasn't the best mom after letting her baby finally nurse, but allowed it. I will be hoping for you too Kay!

Well Im just catching up on all the posts. Both Baily and the little one are napping. Poor Tease but she really left you w/no other options.

Did Tease calm right down after she was removed from the baby? If only she could have relaxed in order for the sedatives to work properly. Thats an oxymoron isnt it!!

I hadnt read about the placenta,interresting.

It looks like your on the right path....just wish the path wasnt going to be so long for you.

Again, shes stunning just like her Mom and she has you and everyone who has been watching her sending prayers....I think she's going to be just fine!

On a side note: Tease was the first horse my hubby got to see foal ( we happened to be at his office) and I just happened to check on Tease before we left and knew it would be soon so we watched it together. He knows how nervous I have been b/c Peanut is at about 320 days it it will be our 1st. On the ride home he was asking lots of ??s about how/what we would do in your situation. Well when I finally went to bed he still had the light on but was about 20 pages into the foaling book that I have been reading....he was sound asleep. When I got up this A.M. he was sitting in front of the t.V. watching Peanut on the camera but was still reading the foaling book. He had already been up and checked on your foal ( he was the one that told me that it "sure doesnt look like Tease in the babY's stall" ) I just wanted you to know how much Tease and her baby are influencing and helping us be more prepared for when our time comes.Thank You!

Oh Kay

I am so sorry that you are going thru this - I am not sure what sedative you are using, but perhaps the very could prescribe something that lasts a lot longer - I used dormosdedan in a pinch with a first time mare that was not letting her foal nurse - the baby was kind of a preemie, and the mare had virtually no bag and itsty bitsy nipples and the foal really needed her to be still in order to be able to find them and latch on. The banamine didn't touch her, but the dorm worked for around 4 hours and with a couple of repeats of banamine we managed to get thru the first 36 hours. My vets said that we could have used the dorm again too if necessary. I wonder if all the milking her out has made her nipples sore - I would imagine that a foal nursing would be a lot different than the touch of a human and this might be increasing the problem. Most touchy mares need a separation wall between them and the foal to make the the baby is OK but that the bonding can still happen over the wall. I know that with the arabian farms that I have been in attendance with they use a short wall and push the mare up agains the wall so that the foal can nurse under the wall, but the mare can still nose the baby and HOPEFULLY get her maternal attachment.

The mare that we had trouble with really took a couple of weeks before she totally bonded with her foal - and out in the pasture she couldn't care less about where the baby was - even when one of my other mares was acting as "Godmother" the mare was still pretty detached about the whole thing -- now tho, she is a great mom.

Stressful times, that is for sure -- good luck Kay, I hope things smooth out for all of you

Stac

I hope Kay is resting but does anyone have an update on Tease? Is the foal still being fed with the bottle...I see it in with Bailey but it was trying to nurse. Poor thing

hi all

we are teaching her to drink from a pan and then finish with a bottle to be sure she gets enough. Shes eating really well but sure would like to see her more active. Shes more perky when I am out there.

She still cannot latch on an udder.

Exhausted but trying to stay hopeful.

I cant remember the name of the sedative but the vet said it was a very strong one. We gave her two loading doses and a 3rd and it was like she had nothing. That is why he felt it wasnt going to work.

I was almost tempted to try one more time to put them back but if it doesnt work I am afraid it will set them both back.

I understand your concern and frustration....we never know what the right thing to do is. How is Tease acting now that she is not with her foal? Any change back towards 'normal' or still very uneasy? I think the foal looks good and I can only guess, but her 'lack of excitement' may be because her mom is missing.

You are doing great with her and I am learning so much!!

Blessings from WI.

Tease is calming down a bit but I am worried about her too. I am hoping sally and dr can come and check the whole situation. They are out on an ER call. They felt that even if she doesnt nurse bailey it would lesson her stress to have a mare in there with her.

I agree that Bailey is a good thought for the foal. She needs someone around her to make her feel safe. You should be very proud of Bailey as I think she is doing an awesome job with baby. I checked your site for Bailey to read more about her but did not locate her. Is she new to your farm or just a pasture buddy?

Keep up the good work!!!

Latest posts

Back