Tease Looking Close? Maybe? Hopefully?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, Kay, I am just catching up here...I am so sorry that you are having trouble! If it were my foal I would give it as much as it would take...I am no expert though. Sending prayers to you and your babies...

If a foal is strugling at all then I would not take away any of her dams colostrum. I would try to get as much down her as possible. When bottle feeding it is best to hold bottle at mamas teat so that foal gets used to the correct position for changing over to mares teat. More difficult to do but easier transition for foal.

We are but shes so small she just takes small amounts. So far shes taken in about 35 cc's so I think we are good. Yes I am hoping to get a snap test done but like I said my vet has a broken foot ughh. Maybe sally can come do it.

I really was not expecting such a tiny girl. Shes just too kissable!

Kay, I am watching now on the video and see how she is acting toward her baby. I am sure you must be very distressed because it is hard to watch! Flirt did this with her new baby too, and he was dysmature, I had to have the vet out to tranquilize her, and tied her up. She did finally accept him, but it was a struggle. Best of luck to you, your filly is very sweet-looking. (((((HUGS)))))

Thank you so much Diane. You have been so much support thru this and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. If you need me I am here!

Shes only about 20 lbs but I cant think of how tall? LOL. brain malfunction. Most of ours are on the taller side but some of our mares tend to throw small like star and fashionista. Looks like Tease produces small too.

This filly is everything I was hoping for! I just hope we get thru this hump.

We will continue turning the cam off while we milk tease as it is upsetting to watch for some of the cam watchers.

Just an FYI we were originally using Sallys colostrum because initially we could not get near tease until the 2nd sedative took affect

Thanks Diane.

Kay what a wonderful gift you have there, she is adorable but then of course she is a minime. Thank you for sharing this pregnancy and birth with us it sure has been fun and well worth the wait. You guys did a great job last night. I was just staggering to the kitchen to get a glass of water and I glanced over at the screen (where Tease is constantly up) and wow did I wake up fast, it was 2.30 am here. I imagined she was going to go during your night time but not mine
new_shocked.gif
Very glad she did though for you to not have to get up.

I am sending prayers that mama and baby get it all sorted fast. Congrats
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Can't believe after all this time that I missed the whole darn thing. And now no picture. Haven't even seen her yet.

Hope she is OK.

Well Tease is worse again. Couldnt milk her at all. Gave her some more sedative but we cant keep doing that too long. Tease is just way too stressed. Grinding her teeth etc

Baby is taking the bottle really well though and now has about the required amount of colostrum.

Goodness what a traumatic time you are having! Firstly let me say CONGRATULATIONS on your new filly, it sounds as though she is lucky to be here - well done to you and hubby!

So sorry that Tease is having problems, I hope she eventually settles down. After a difficult birth, sedatives included, I do think that a lot of mares are in more pain than we can control, and we all know that a foal nursing or the mare being milked can cause more internal pain. It may well take a few days for Tease to feel 'normal' again.

Sending prayers that your new baby continues to do well and that Tease eventually accepts her new daughter.

And a big thank you to you Kay for keeping us updated so regularly, when you must be so worried and busy - we really appreciate it.
default_yes.gif

Anna

Aaaaaawwwww
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

There's no mistaking who her mum is. Little precious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really think we are going to have to separate them. Its just getting too dangerous for the foal. Tease has had 3 sedative shots now and I cant give her more and she is getting more aggressive. Just breaks my heart.

Some mares will all of the sudden become more motherly when another horse shows interest in their new foal, they will sometimes all of the sudden realize that they are needing to protect their little one from the other horse. Possibly another mare who you know you can trust not to hurt the little one? Of course you would need to be ready to intervene if need be... This worked for a friend of mine... completely by accident... but possibly worth a try before seperating them?

Sally had us separate them for 10 minutes as sometimes that makes their instinct jump in. Issue is shes very protective of her but then mean to her. I think its a love/hate relationship.

I just read an article on mares rejecting foals that said mares that pass the placenta too quickly often reject the foals. I guess the placenta gives off hormones once the foal is born. Tease passed hers faster than I have ever seen. Maybe 3 mins after having her. That and the traumatic birth I think are why shes doing this.

Im going to give it a few more hours but its not looking promising on cam. She had a dose of sedative at 3 so I cant give more this soon. Its like its not even calming her down now.

Sure not the ending I was expecting. Im just praying the filly makes it as I know its hard for them to be an "orphan" foal.

Its like the sedative works for about 30 mins and then its done. Sally will be calling me before she goes on vet calls today so I will ask her and Dr Muses advice. Kyle will be home around 6 so maybe with another helper we can get her nursing. I doubt it but I would like to try once more

Kay I really hope things improve for you all as she is just sooo gorgeous and so well worth the wait. She really is a replica of her mom.

My foal had a poor suck reflex and even though he knew where to go he couldnt make any hand of sucking at all. So had the vet out. I milked the mare - about a 1/4 pint and he got 2/3rds of that. Vet said it was probably too much but he tummy was full and he drew strength from it and even though he is still not the best at sucking he is getting better and I hear him swallow when he does latch on so I know he will get there. He has pooped too so I am not as worried right now.

Sending prayers your way and I know you will get there with your little bundles

Oh Karina I am sending prayers to you too. Sounds like hes doing better. What time did your mare foal?

filly didnt eat as much this time but I only waited an hour. Trying to get as much colostrum in as I can. Shes passing lots of manure and active so I hope we are doing well.

Not sure how many more times I will be able to feed her without help. Tease is getting terrible again. May have to wake hubby up for the next feeding

Just tuning in here...Baby just got up...Tease is laying down...Baby looks like she is looking for the milk bar...hope Tease gets up and lets her find it!! Come on Tease!!

ETA: Tease is up and being OK so far to baby!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulatiions
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
I missed it too , I was so busy watching karinas mare foal , how is she doing , I cant get the cam up
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back