"Style" of presentation in Halter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAS Hercules

Reaction score
Brand new to Mini's and wanting to show halter, how does one figure out which style of presentaion ? I show & train Arabians so would PREFER Arab style, but since my Mini is still quite fat ( I am not sure if after conditioning and sweating he will even appear more refined ) and he is my first mini, I don't know exactly what the judges are looking for yet , would it be appropriate to present Arab style or would be be more "stock" type ??? ( Will be showing Pinto ) Also he is right at 34", would it be better to register him in the "B" division so he is on the smaller end rather than "A" where he would be one of the largest ??? What about Halters ? I notice Mini's seem to have the wider nosebands, is that the more acceptable type ? I have several Cable Arabian foal halters that fit him, would one of them be appropriate ? ( sorry if these are stupid questions ! )
default_wink.png

Opinions and advice greatly appreciated :) !!! Oh and pix of your halter horses appreciated too !!!!!!!!!!!

DSC04373.jpg

DSC04457.jpg

Wearing Arabian foal halter the beads are LT. blue and match his eye ( Before I clipped his neck )

DSC04243.jpg

Thanks in advance !!!

A lot of it comes down to personal perference, however, at registry shows, you won't find people showing at halter in western style halters.

Most minis don't look their best in an arab style halter with a cable noseband.

What I like, and many others do as well, are the Victor show halters. I think they are so classic and well made that "investing" in one will serve you for many, many years in the ring.

Here are some examples of this type of halter -- they really do look good on nearly any mini. You can get them in black with gold or silver trim, or with colored nosebands
default_yes.gif

2007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20157%20Bacardi%20again.jpg

2007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20177%20DUNIT.jpg

2007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20089%20Flirt%20Halter.jpg

DESTINY-BURGUNDY%20VICTOR.jpg

Hi, I just started showing the minis a couple of years ago but I can tell you what I have learned so far...everyone shows with an arabian style halter and I think when someone shows in a stocktype halter it looks kind of out of place. I dont think you need to worry about that though from the pictures of your horse he looks araby enough. As for the halter, the only time you need a wide noseband is if your horses head is not very pretty or refined. Your horse has a gorgeous face so you could pull off the cable style halters. It just depends on what you think looks best on him. If he is truly 34" and you have no trouble getting him to measure at 34 or under then you should show him in the A division, the taller minis are placing better right now which is wrong but true because it just gives the look of being more refined and if the judge doesn't squat down to their level which they never do the shorter horses just dont look as nice. I show the little ones and it hurts me a lot of the time. Pinto is a little better about this though and you could go where ever you feel more comfortable. Our shorties did very well at the only two pinto shows we went to last year. It really depends on whether you want to take the chance of someone protesting you if you are winning, again not likely with pinto. Also around my area anyways there are generally not a lot of minis and they end up combining the A and B classes. So in other words go with what you feel
default_smile.png
. O and you wanted pics of our halter horses so here ya go:

Maple Hollows Sir Spot

MCS_00091.jpg

MCS_0009.jpg

Arions Maple Hollows Destiny

fallpintoshowatkwood08003.jpg

Arions Destinys Magic Trick

1291-ARION-0607-netcrop.jpg

Destiny and Magic Trick together both are out of Alvadars Double Destiny

fallpintoshowatkwood08006.jpg

Arions Maple Hollows Destiny and Maple Hollows Echo Perfection in Des Moines at a show

memomdestinyandimpression.jpg

I also have a bunch more that are going to added to the string this year but they arent pinto and I dont have any pics of them clipped up yet or at all
default_unsure.png

WOW GORGEOUS !!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much for the photos !!! ( more pleezze :)

I shop with Schneiders for Arabian tack and they do offer some mini show halters, I had been looking at the copper color one for Herc :) Do you have a link for other good Mini tack sites ?

http://www.sstack.com/jump.jsp?itemID=359&...359&level=2

Also am curious about lenth of bridle patch... how long should I clip him back ?

I am very glad I joined this forum, but BEWARE I will ask MANY questions !!!! I have alot to learn in my new venture ! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to shop at Double Diamond Tack..DD Tack . Or I buy them from my parents since they still can get and sell tack. Also I like the halters that are sold on LB Auctions or on Ebay that are made by natamgoodies or quickslvrkeys. They are cheaper than a lot if you dont want to spend a lot and it is a strange material but I like them and she has some gorgeous designs.

As for how far back to do the mane it depends on how it looks on the horse I just gradually go back until I like how it compliments the individual. It is just like doing an Arab for the most part.

Hi I'm a Show Halter Addict
default_laugh.png

I like the Arabian Styled Halters with the Pretty Nosebands I don't really like the Cable ones jmo

this is Allure in my Cable Halter

l_acee581cd988f41430b740f11e3623f9.jpg

Tazer & Sapphire are wearing "The Duke # 5001" (Minitack)

tazer20monthsold7.JPG
Sapphirehead208.JPG

Jadis is wearing "The Imperial # 55021" (Minitack)

Jadishead08.JPG

Liner is wearing the one I bought from Double Diamond

Linerhead2monthsold.JPG

and Shiloh, JT & Bambi (all 3 have been sold) are wearing the "Galaxy" (Minitack)

shiloh8375359.jpg
l_39c3e001a80106eeab91afac61c0b271.jpg
l_46ca20380392172918367030ae8591da.jpg

Welcome to the wonderful world of showing :D

Its so much fun, make sure to share your results with us!!

You have already gotten lots of wonderful advice from every one so I will just share some pictures of my guy, I also prefer the arabian style with the nose band. There is a wonderful selection at Mini Tack I have bought all of my show halters from there so far.

Country Lanes Foxs Freedom Fighter

32" Grand Champion Pinto Stallion

fighterpro4.jpg

fighterpro1.jpg

fighterpro3.jpg

fightershow4.jpg

Great photos !!! Thanks so much for sharing, I am loving seeing your beautiful mini arabians !!!
default_wink.png

I agree, I do think the wider noseband looks better :)

A couple of places I shop for halters is at Ozark Mountain and Double Diamond.

Good luck!

You have gotten some great advice here.

If I can find an up close photo, I will add it on here.

Peggy

I show pintos and around here you will see almost anything. Check out our website at www.ontargetminiatures.com for lots of photos taken at New England Pinto shows and also see below for 2 style halters that we use. I prefer the silver hardware with pintos, but again, that is a personal preference.

060708-C-030.jpg

Your mini will get measured at the first show he goes to and that will determine his size (A or B). If he is 34" I would put A on the application. You don't need to select a "type" on the Pinto registration application for minis.

Hercules is very cute and should do well for you. And you should have lots of fun!!!

Be careful what you wish for!!!

default_laugh.png

Here are some examples of halter horses wearing the Victor-type halters:

24Carat3.jpg

Raising2.jpg

AllRevvedUp.jpg

Misc002.jpg

MaxVictory.jpg

Tonto.jpg

SophieHead.jpg

SinfulSidney.jpg

LoudandClear.jpg

AND FINALLY, 2 SHOT OF HORSES NOT WEARING VICTOR-TYPE HALTERS:

WillTwigs.jpg

Casanova.jpg

Hi Heather

Welcome to the world of miniatures. You are getting a lot of great advise on halters, so I am going to address a different issue that you will need to understand and that is making sure that when you train your new stallion that he is trained to stand square rather than offset or "dragging" a rear leg. In arabs it is my understanding that these stances are allowed, but they are NOT in miniatures, (I would love it if they were!), so work on those positions and then work on where you want your horse's neck placed as you show, and how and where you want him to "break over" when you ask for neck -- don't just ask him to stick it out - not a pretty picture and the competition will outshow you -- ideally your horse will rock back, keep his neck held high and break from the throatlatch/poll.

This is a great forum to come to for advise, I am sure you will get lots of help.

Stacy

If you take some pictures of your guy set up in different ways and post, maybe we could help out to decide what is the best way to present him?

He's cute.

Andrea

Here's a shot of my guy a couple of years ago in a plain black halter. This is what we used for all his first year shows at Pinto and he manage to get his ROM in his first year. One judge's remark - "Wow, he looks just like a 'little' horse!" DUH!

awesomeHAMES.jpg

Here's a simple black with silver from Star Lake tack on our filly.

2006MandalayEdgedSmaller.JPG

So MANY beautiful show horses !!! And TOTAL AWWW factor too
default_wub.png
I am happy to see the different photos of halters and even though they are all similar style there is so much variety :)

The pic with the little fella sticking his/her tongue is too funny, guess we know how he/she feels about the whole thing !
default_laugh.png

And the showing advice is great, I didn't know that in Mini's one does NOT split the rear legs... I figure my Arabian Halter knowlege will help in Training Herc but some things will definately be different.

This is what I am used to showing

st3E.jpg

Wow, you are doing a great job showing your (normal sized) horse! You will do just great showing miniatures. Your experience showing will really help you get a big jump start. You will just need to adjust to showing a smaller horse, and have him more square on the back feet. You can work and practice to get your minis head up and then hook well at the top and show off his throatlatch. Its a bit of an adjustment showing the smaller ones but just practice showing setting up your horse and like another person commented, you could post some photos here and see where he looks the best, some horses cant get quite the height on setting up with their necks then others. If a horse has a ewe neck for instance, you would keep the head and neck a bit lower and keep it stretched out nicely too to make it cleaner. I believe your horse will have not problem there though. Just watch his stance and you want to keep his topline nice and level too. That part is pretty much the same whether youre showing a larger or smaller horse!

As far as choosing a show halter for you minis, its hard to go wrong with a victor halter or one that is styled like it. Looking at your horse, his head is not too long, just about right in length, so I would go for a halter that has a noseband that is not flared in the middle. There are several of the patent, gold, or silver nosebands that would look good on him and perhaps the copper colored one may look fine. Its hard to go wrong with a halter that is predominately maroon with either gold or silver piping, and black rims. We use these a lot and they just have a classy look to them. I usually use the black and gold color combination on my conchos if needed on these.

If we have a horse that tends to be just a little long from the eye down to the nose, we will choose a flared patent noseband on the halter. This will help to shorten the head. A shorter head from the eyes to the nose will look better in a noseband that is even in width across noseband.

If a horse has a nice eye on him, we will use conchos to draw the judges eyes up further to the horses eye and show it off. I like a concho that is pleasing to the eye, not too gaudy, just a nice size and it should be a good match for the metal parts and chain you are using, gold or gold and black on a halter with gold metal parts and chain, silver for the other, etc. If a horse has a smaller eye, we do what we can to make it appear larger, but do not use a concho on a horse like this. In this case we would want a halter that has a patent or gold, silver noseband and some beading down further towards the bottom of the sides of the horses face to draw the attention down lower and not to the eye. Your horse has a gorgeous blue eye with the nice black liner around it, with him being razored there and a bit of shine, heck look really nice.

I also prefer to use a leather, (never biothane), lead that has a buckle for the show chain. Get the same gold or silver to match your show halter on you buckle of your lead. It just makes a nicer look for you without the snap and alleviates the chance that you might hit that snap. For those of you that have a snap lead already, you can use a short bit of electrical tape wound tight and neatly around that snap too, makes it look nice.

On your show chains, make sure you have the right length. If your chain is too long, it can make it easy for the horse to get the chain in his mouth, or lip it. The tack dealers also sell show chain keepers which are handy but you still need the right length of chain. You may not need the chain keeper depending on how you have your show chain rigged on your halter, as there are different ways for different horses. We like the fine Rolex chains sold sold at DD or Schneiders tack. A fine chain really adds a nice finish to your horse!!! I hate to see a beautiful halter and then a big clunky chain, it just doesnt make a pretty finished look to your horses head!

Good luck and Im sure you will do great out there!

I think I read on your other thread that your little guy is unregistered?

If that's the case, and you are showing in Open type shows, I'd actually recommend buying a western type halter and showing him like a stock horse. Generally (at least here in CA... we have lots and lots of Arabs but also lots and lots of QHs) the judges do lean towards a stock type horse, and the competition usually follows suit.

I'm not sure AMHA or AMHR hardships grade horses any more?

Andrea

P.S. Beeeaaauuuuuutiful Arab by the way!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget each assocation's magazines for references as all have pictures of shows especially of their National winners.

Your have the Pinto magazine. AMHA(Fort Worth TX) is the "A" 34" & under mini = "Minature Horse World" magazine.

The "A" Nationals are in Fort Worth in early Oct each year.

And the "R" AMHR for minis up to 38"(?) & shetlands (Illinois Based) = "The Journal" magazine.

Good Luck, maybe at the Pinto World in June in Tulsa?

I think I read on your other thread that your little guy is unregistered?
If that's the case, and you are showing in Open type shows, I'd actually recommend buying a western type halter and showing him like a stock horse. Generally (at least here in CA... we have lots and lots of Arabs but also lots and lots of QHs) the judges do lean towards a stock type horse, and the competition usually follows suit.

I'm not sure AMHA or AMHR hardships grade horses any more?

Andrea

P.S. Beeeaaauuuuuutiful Arab by the way!!!

AMHA does hardship still, it costs $1200 so not positive I will register him yet, depends on a few things, if I can reg. him PtHA I may not do Mini unless it looks like he shows well and if he is Homozygous then it might be worth it :) I sent in a DNA sample and am waiting to see... so it all depends:) I don't show Open, I show to promote my Stallion and his get and train & show client horses as my business ( at least that's what I tell the IRS !!! ) so the level I like to compete at is Regional and National or World. ( I hope that didn't sound arrogant, it wasn't meant that way ! :-(

Thanks for complimenting Spirit
default_wub.png
He is my buddy :)

Latest posts

Back