"Style" of presentation in Halter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, you are doing a great job showing your (normal sized) horse! You will do just great showing miniatures. Your experience showing will really help you get a big jump start. You will just need to adjust to showing a smaller horse, and have him more square on the back feet. You can work and practice to get your minis head up and then hook well at the top and show off his throatlatch. Its a bit of an adjustment showing the smaller ones but just practice showing setting up your horse and like another person commented, you could post some photos here and see where he looks the best, some horses cant get quite the height on setting up with their necks then others. If a horse has a ewe neck for instance, you would keep the head and neck a bit lower and keep it stretched out nicely too to make it cleaner. I believe your horse will have not problem there though. Just watch his stance and you want to keep his topline nice and level too. That part is pretty much the same whether youre showing a larger or smaller horse!
As far as choosing a show halter for you minis, its hard to go wrong with a victor halter or one that is styled like it. Looking at your horse, his head is not too long, just about right in length, so I would go for a halter that has a noseband that is not flared in the middle. There are several of the patent, gold, or silver nosebands that would look good on him and perhaps the copper colored one may look fine. Its hard to go wrong with a halter that is predominately maroon with either gold or silver piping, and black rims. We use these a lot and they just have a classy look to them. I usually use the black and gold color combination on my conchos if needed on these.

If we have a horse that tends to be just a little long from the eye down to the nose, we will choose a flared patent noseband on the halter. This will help to shorten the head. A shorter head from the eyes to the nose will look better in a noseband that is even in width across noseband.

If a horse has a nice eye on him, we will use conchos to draw the judges eyes up further to the horses eye and show it off. I like a concho that is pleasing to the eye, not too gaudy, just a nice size and it should be a good match for the metal parts and chain you are using, gold or gold and black on a halter with gold metal parts and chain, silver for the other, etc. If a horse has a smaller eye, we do what we can to make it appear larger, but do not use a concho on a horse like this. In this case we would want a halter that has a patent or gold, silver noseband and some beading down further towards the bottom of the sides of the horses face to draw the attention down lower and not to the eye. Your horse has a gorgeous blue eye with the nice black liner around it, with him being razored there and a bit of shine, heck look really nice.

I also prefer to use a leather, (never biothane), lead that has a buckle for the show chain. Get the same gold or silver to match your show halter on you buckle of your lead. It just makes a nicer look for you without the snap and alleviates the chance that you might hit that snap. For those of you that have a snap lead already, you can use a short bit of electrical tape wound tight and neatly around that snap too, makes it look nice.

On your show chains, make sure you have the right length. If your chain is too long, it can make it easy for the horse to get the chain in his mouth, or lip it. The tack dealers also sell show chain keepers which are handy but you still need the right length of chain. You may not need the chain keeper depending on how you have your show chain rigged on your halter, as there are different ways for different horses. We like the fine Rolex chains sold sold at DD or Schneiders tack. A fine chain really adds a nice finish to your horse!!! I hate to see a beautiful halter and then a big clunky chain, it just doesnt make a pretty finished look to your horses head!

Good luck and Im sure you will do great out there!

Luckily I have a bunch of nice leather show leads that I use for the Arabs, will have to get a finer show chain tho :) hehe, yep we use the electric tape trick on our chains too !!!

Thanks for the explanation on the head length & nosebands, good tips too !

When you say Razoring, do you mean shaving around the eyes & muzzle ??? ( I use a 40 blade on my stallion around the eyes and a 30 for the face clip )

Very pretty boy. I agree with going with a wide noseband halter. The halter you have on him appears to be a bit too small across his nose.

That arab -
default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked
default_new_shocked.gif
My first love!

Good luck and enjoy the minis!!

Oh and I will try to get some "set up" pix of Herc for critique, probably won't be until Sunday...

I'm going to get a subscription to Miniature Horse World :)

Very pretty boy. I agree with going with a wide noseband halter. The halter you have on him appears to be a bit too small across his nose.
That arab -
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
My first love!

Good luck and enjoy the minis!!

I agree too, I love the "Look" of everyones Show Mini's with their halters
default_smile.png
I can't beleive how Elegant and refined they are !!!

Ah, You should meet my Arab in person, he does some tricks and is a real people horse
default_laugh.png

Here's Spirit's 2009 Stallion flyer ( I am never shy about sharing more photos )

SpiritThyme3websize-1.jpg

Do any of you ever consider using a "Native style" Arabian presentation halter for photo shoots of your Mini's ??? ( I make them :) This is one I made for Spirit Thyme, I could very easily scale them down...

Spirit942sm.jpg

Ooohhh can I see full pictures of your big guy under harness??? Noticed in your ad he's in harness but it's only a head shot...

Andrea

Ooohhh can I see full pictures of your big guy under harness??? Noticed in your ad he's in harness but it's only a head shot...Andrea

ABSOLUTELY !
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

The first pic is Spirit at 3 years old, his very first Performance class :)

CEPdriveE.jpg

And this one was at Arabian Sporthorse Nationals in VA.

IMG_6143E.jpg

Your arabian is absolutely STUNNING!
default_wub.png
default_new_shocked.gif
And I really like your mini Hercules too.

As far as show halters go, I have one cable style halter, the "Princess" from Mini Tack, and one with the wide noseband like most of the ones posted, which I prefer. It is beautiful and inexpensive, I bought it from National Bridle Shop for my smaller mare, although she won't be showing halter much.

I'm considering buying a new halter for my mare Kassie, who has the cable halter, and maybe selling hers, because I don't like the look of the cable halter nearly as much.

I really like your stallion and would seriously consider hardshipping him AMHA (am I correct that AMHR will register a horse from A papers still?) He is a very pretty boy and that would open up a whole new world to you for showing also. I like showing A and R both and both registries have different things to offer also in the way of awards, etc...

I agree, see what looks best on your Mini and try out the different nose bands... I love Double Diamond, Schneiders, etc... I think you will do well! And here, nobody shows in a Western style halter unless they are in an obstacle halter class and even then, many don't use that type. I have not seen a horse yet in a Mini class either who has a Western style halter that is fitted CORRECTLY.

LOVE your Arabian- that one pic was not taken at Scottsdale was it?

I adore your Arabian!!

If you plan to show in Pinto shows, you might want to check with the people in the Club where you will be showing to see about razoring faces. Around here, no one razors the face at Pinto shows, yet the same people do for AMHA. And people here only use the Western style halters for performance; lots of us use a plain leather halter (no silver) for performance. I have even used a plain black nylon halter when I have 3 minis in the same class.

Yes, I was talking about actually razoring your horse above the eyes and on his muzzle and blending it with the clipped hair. We use a #30 on the entire head, a 40 and 50 blended on the eyes and the muzzle. I am writing an article for several clubs on show clipping a head and razoring and will be putting this info on a new page on my website. I should have it on there before the end of the month. When a horse is razored correctly and smoothly, it just makes the skin look so much blacker and we blend it up into the clipped hair for a smooth unlined look. We use shaving cream and Gillette Twin blade razors like you can buy at the drug stores or Walmart in the Mens section.

The better quality the razors the better results you will have and less nicking.

Also, its very important to have those areas clipped as closely as possible just prior to razoring and it will go much easier. Also right after a horse is washed and clipped, is a good time to do this. You will want to razor your horse the day before the show. If you wait to many days prior, too much hair will begin growing back in and it wont have the smooth shine. Once they are razored all you need is some Silverado face gel, or baby oil gel on those razored areas and they will look great and enhance your horses eyes and muzzle. It makes a huge difference on them.

I will be adding a section on my website with informative articles within the next week or two that will be helpful to many people. I can also send these to any clubs that will want to use them for free of course, if you have a club that would like them for their newsletter or anything, just email me and ask me to send them to you via email. There will be one on selection and training of a driving horse that is very basic but informative, and show clipping the head and razoring will be the next one. Ill do them as I have the time and they are for everyone to enjoy and use. There are many ways of doing the training and grooming, but this is the way I have been doing this for years, so will be some informative information on the articles. They will be on there before the end of the month. www.tenltraining.com

You have done a great job on conditioning your arabian and his body looks nice and smooth and mucled nicely in all the right areas. I have watched the arabian nationals when they were in Louisville when they were here and really enjoyed them. Ive trained a few as well and I just love their spirit and natural beauty and lightness in their gaits. They are remarkable horses! Laura

I really like your stallion and would seriously consider hardshipping him AMHA (am I correct that AMHR will register a horse from A papers still?) He is a very pretty boy and that would open up a whole new world to you for showing also. I like showing A and R both and both registries have different things to offer also in the way of awards, etc...
I agree, see what looks best on your Mini and try out the different nose bands... I love Double Diamond, Schneiders, etc... I think you will do well! And here, nobody shows in a Western style halter unless they are in an obstacle halter class and even then, many don't use that type. I have not seen a horse yet in a Mini class either who has a Western style halter that is fitted CORRECTLY.

LOVE your Arabian- that one pic was not taken at Scottsdale was it?

Well I am starting to seriously consider Hardshipping Herc, everyone has been so positive witht their comments about him, and even tho he is my first Mini I do have en eye for good "horseflesh" :) Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being Barnblind about him 'cause he's just so darn cute !!!
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png

A question, obviously the members here are serious breeders of QUALITY Miniature horses, would there be a prejudice against Herc as a breeding stallion because he is of unknown pedigree ( assuming I don't find anything out that is :) ???? I plan to SHOW him first of course and if he competes well, I may consider breeding him, esp. if he is Homozygous, but just wonder if I would be looked down upon for promoting a "grade" horse...

None of the photos I posted here are of my Arabian at Scottsdale, however we did show there in 2006, He was Champion Jr. Sporthorse In-hand Stallion
default_biggrin.png

Well I am starting to seriously consider Hardshipping Herc, everyone has been so positive witht their comments about him, and even tho he is my first Mini I do have en eye for good "horseflesh" :) Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being Barnblind about him 'cause he's just so darn cute !!!
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png

A question, obviously the members here are serious breeders of QUALITY Miniature horses, would there be a prejudice against Herc as a breeding stallion because he is of unknown pedigree ( assuming I don't find anything out that is :) ???? I plan to SHOW him first of course and if he competes well, I may consider breeding him, esp. if he is Homozygous, but just wonder if I would be looked down upon for promoting a "grade" horse...
I don't think there's much "prejudice" against hardshipped minis, BUT most people are more willing to accept hardshipped mares versus the stallions. There are SOOOOOO many miniature stallions out there that most people want "everything" in the stallion... National Champion halter record, color, size, and of course pedigree. Stallions in particular, in AMHA, people DO like to see the depth of pedigree regarding performance and size. With an unknown horse it is harder to know the size and type of foals he will throw (although most knowledgeable breeders know there is no way to know this all the time with horses of deep pedigree sometimes, either). So many nice AMHA stallions are "son of..." but if you are not planning on standing to outside mares and just promoting your own horses, I don't see much issue. Just harder to sell the babies unless you get lucky enough that your guy becomes an AMHA National Champion himself and makes a name for himself! Certainly can and has happened!

Good luck,

Andrea

In regards for Halters, I like the silver ones from Show Time Tack - Just beautiful!

n583241100_2223654_5460.jpg

In regards for height, if he is 34" he is an A. It's as simple as that.
default_wink.png
As with any breed, you would want to be the tallest in a division - with out going over it, as height often helps aid conformation.

I'd recommend hardshipping him to AMHA now.. as they are closing their doors soon to hardshipping!

Now, if he were mine I would geld him in a heartbeat. I geld everything. Only the best should be stallions, IMO. Now is there anything wrong with having a gelding? No. I have 3. They are great to have to help show how awesome our breed is.

I just feel there are so many miniatures in the market that don't need to be here, and with the economy as it is, it's only going to get worse. It isn't only directed at you, it is something all horse owners face.

So do with your boy as you feel best, as he is quite pretty, I just wanted to add my 2 cents.
default_smile.png
Besides, hardshipping a gelding is only $200.
default_wink.png

I had the same thing said to me when I started in with the minis and it opened my eyes. (Sorry if I hurt your feelings, as that was not my point!)

Good luck! I think he'll do well in the shows. You'll also learn that they are like potato chips!

In regards for Halters, I like the silver ones from Show Time Tack - Just beautiful!
n583241100_2223654_5460.jpg

In regards for height, if he is 34" he is an A. It's as simple as that.
default_wink.png
As with any breed, you would want to be the tallest in a division - with out going over it, as height often helps aid conformation.

I'd recommend hardshipping him to AMHA now.. as they are closing their doors soon to hardshipping!

Now, if he were mine I would geld him in a heartbeat. I geld everything. Only the best should be stallions, IMO. Now is there anything wrong with having a gelding? No. I have 3. They are great to have to help show how awesome our breed is.

I just feel there are so many miniatures in the market that don't need to be here, and with the economy as it is, it's only going to get worse. It isn't only directed at you, it is something all horse owners face.

So do with your boy as you feel best, as he is quite pretty, I just wanted to add my 2 cents.
default_smile.png
Besides, hardshipping a gelding is only $200.
default_wink.png

I had the same thing said to me when I started in with the minis and it opened my eyes. (Sorry if I hurt your feelings, as that was not my point!)

Good luck! I think he'll do well in the shows. You'll also learn that they are like potato chips!

Hi :)
default_saludando.gif

No offense taken, you don't know how MANY times I have told the very same thing to owners of Arabian Stallions, I own/Show/Stand my Stallion Spirit Thyme, he is of exceptional quality, sires awesome foals and has a very impressive show record, I see so many "junk" stallions out there and people THINK they are going to promote them as breeding stallions ! ( frustrating ) It does not good for the breed ...

I will not geld Hercules though, because I primarily purchased him to use as a Teaser Stallion :)

I am not a fan of "color" on the noseband, but that is just my personal opinion, I know that many use them and in no way does it hurt anything.

I like to stick to basics, and only use silver or gold,,,,,,,especially on a pinto. "For me" the additional color is distracting on a pinto. I have only used a color noseband on one horse, and she was solid.

If I have a horse with a lot going on with their own coloring, I like silver. Here is Jazz, she has enough going on, plus blue eyes, so stayed basic.

jazzbetter.jpg

I am not a fan of "color" on the noseband, but that is just my personal opinion, I know that many use them and in no way does it hurt anything. I like to stick to basics, and only use silver or gold,,,,,,,especially on a pinto. "For me" the additional color is distracting on a pinto. I have only used a color noseband on one horse, and she was solid.

If I have a horse with a lot going on with their own coloring, I like silver. Here is Jazz, she has enough going on, plus blue eyes, so stayed basic.

jazzbetter.jpg

Good point, I totally agree ! Hercules does have alot going on with Color, I am leaning toward a black & gold halter ( IMO gold will go with his red better than silver :)

I like this one, the noseband is pretty, I would order it with gold fitting too, I don't like the black http://www.showtimetack.com/index.php?sstp...=TM-53G&P=G

Your show horse is turned out beautifully !!!

It depends on the horse and the color of the noseband if you ask me. Some just really bring out or blend with the horses color. I had always avoided the colored nosebands as with the loud Appies, I too thought it would just be 'too much'.

Here's a pic of Renegade's head taken at Nationals in the halter he took his 6th place in. To us, it looked much better than the black with silver traditional halter I had been using and didnt clash so much as it did against his reddish coloring. The black and silver just seemed to make too much more harsh contrast.

RenheadNatls07.jpg

Hi, I just started showing the minis a couple of years ago but I can tell you what I have learned so far...everyone shows with an arabian style halter and I think when someone shows in a stocktype halter it looks kind of out of place. I dont think you need to worry about that though from the pictures of your horse he looks araby enough. As for the halter, the only time you need a wide noseband is if your horses head is not very pretty or refined. Your horse has a gorgeous face so you could pull off the cable style halters. It just depends on what you think looks best on him. If he is truly 34" and you have no trouble getting him to measure at 34 or under then you should show him in the A division, the taller minis are placing better right now which is wrong but true because it just gives the look of being more refined and if the judge doesn't squat down to their level which they never do the shorter horses just dont look as nice. I show the little ones and it hurts me a lot of the time. Pinto is a little better about this though and you could go where ever you feel more comfortable. Our shorties did very well at the only two pinto shows we went to last year. It really depends on whether you want to take the chance of someone protesting you if you are winning, again not likely with pinto. Also around my area anyways there are generally not a lot of minis and they end up combining the A and B classes. So in other words go with what you feel
default_smile.png
. O and you wanted pics of our halter horses so here ya go:Maple Hollows Sir Spot

MCS_00091.jpg

MCS_0009.jpg

Arions Maple Hollows Destiny

fallpintoshowatkwood08003.jpg

Arions Destinys Magic Trick

1291-ARION-0607-netcrop.jpg

Destiny and Magic Trick together both are out of Alvadars Double Destiny

fallpintoshowatkwood08006.jpg

Arions Maple Hollows Destiny and Maple Hollows Echo Perfection in Des Moines at a show

memomdestinyandimpression.jpg

I also have a bunch more that are going to added to the string this year but they arent pinto and I dont have any pics of them clipped up yet or at all
default_unsure.png
Hi Melinda:

I looked at the first picture and thought boy that horse looks familiar and then looked at the second and said that's either our horse MRZ Telluride or his exact twin. This looks like a photo we had taken at the MMHC Annual show in Winona MN, July 2007. The background is the same--diagonal paneling and vines along the bottom--and the photographer is the same, Jodi French. Then I looked at his feet and the white markings are exactly the same as Tellys.

So, I;m curious how this horse ended up with a different name? Or, were you just taking examples of pictures and accidently put a different name on this horse?

MRZ Farms

Cosmos MN

Hi, I just started showing the minis a couple of years ago but I can tell you what I have learned so far...everyone shows with an arabian style halter and I think when someone shows in a stocktype halter it looks kind of out of place. I dont think you need to worry about that though from the pictures of your horse he looks araby enough. As for the halter, the only time you need a wide noseband is if your horses head is not very pretty or refined. Your horse has a gorgeous face so you could pull off the cable style halters. It just depends on what you think looks best on him. If he is truly 34" and you have no trouble getting him to measure at 34 or under then you should show him in the A division, the taller minis are placing better right now which is wrong but true because it just gives the look of being more refined and if the judge doesn't squat down to their level which they never do the shorter horses just dont look as nice. I show the little ones and it hurts me a lot of the time. Pinto is a little better about this though and you could go where ever you feel more comfortable. Our shorties did very well at the only two pinto shows we went to last year. It really depends on whether you want to take the chance of someone protesting you if you are winning, again not likely with pinto. Also around my area anyways there are generally not a lot of minis and they end up combining the A and B classes. So in other words go with what you feel
default_smile.png
. O and you wanted pics of our halter horses so here ya go:Maple Hollows Sir Spot

MCS_00091.jpg

MCS_0009.jpg

Arions Maple Hollows Destiny

fallpintoshowatkwood08003.jpg

Arions Destinys Magic Trick

1291-ARION-0607-netcrop.jpg

Destiny and Magic Trick together both are out of Alvadars Double Destiny

fallpintoshowatkwood08006.jpg

Arions Maple Hollows Destiny and Maple Hollows Echo Perfection in Des Moines at a show

memomdestinyandimpression.jpg

I also have a bunch more that are going to added to the string this year but they arent pinto and I dont have any pics of them clipped up yet or at all
default_unsure.png
Hi Melinda:

I looked at the first picture and thought boy that horse looks familiar and then looked at the second and said that's either our horse MRZ Telluride or his exact twin. This looks like a photo we had taken at the MMHC Annual show in Winona MN, July 2007. The background is the same--diagonal paneling and vines along the bottom--and the photographer is the same, Jodi French. Then I looked at his feet and the white markings are exactly the same as Tellys.

So, I;m curious how this horse ended up with a different name? Or, were you just taking examples of pictures and accidently put a different name on this horse?

MRZ Farms

Cosmos MN

Or, its Tellys EXACT twin and there is more than one. What's your breeding on this horse? I'll try and find Jodi's online photos to send to you.....

Latest posts

Back