So appauled! Why do some breeders do this!!!arh!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBarakah

Reaction score
I was just skimming threw sale ads on a "huge" (all breed) classified horse for sale place on the interent.. and saw a breeder from the same state as me. I have not ever seen them at any of the shows I've been too....but from thier website they've boughten horses from a well known breeder.... Well.... on thier foals page I noticed they have a dwarf foal....... then looked up the parents on thier website and noticed that the mare was bred back the "SAME" way for a '09 foal~!!!!!!!!!AH! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And she has this mare listed for sale.... but of course DOES NOT have it any where that the mare produced a dwarf and has the mare priced at a VERY high price tag along with the stallion too!

I just can't understand/comprehend why someone would purposely do that?????????

default_wacko.png

I don't know
default_sad.png
Maybe they bred her back before they realized that the foal is a dwarf? I hope the foal she's carrying will not be a dwarf.

Hi Jill,

Unfortuneately NO.... this was a '07 foal.... they didn't have the '08 foals on thier website yet..... so this person knew that the mare HAD a dwarf foal and I don't know if the mare had a foal for '08 but it says the mare is bred back to the same stallion for a '09 foal!!!!!!!!!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And looking at the the foals on their website he deffinately carries the dwarf gene by looking at his foals he's produced..... but obviously this mare carried a gene and the 2 genes connected to produce the dwarf...... but just appauls me that she knew she purposely bred them back a YEAR after this dwarf foal!! INSAIN!

Last edited by a moderator:
default_no.gif
How very, very irresponsible of that breeder.

There is really no excuse for something like that. If you can tell at a glance the resulting foal is a dwarf, they should at the very least no longer be breeding them to each other. Preferably they should not be breeding that mare and stallion again at all.

She probably wants a foal from that cross and having "not succeeded" with one foal is trying again for a normal foal. *sigh* If she's trying to sell the mare she may have bred her back to increase her value, especially since it seems many mini people will not buy a mare if she's not bred. :arg! Maybe that was the only stallion she had available? It's frustrating either way and not fair to the potential offspring.
default_no.gif
Some people....

Leia

How about a broodmare "with no problems other than she sometimes drags a back leg," (locking stifle?) that a vet has certified in no way affects her ability to reproduce? I've seen that, too. Some people are merely ignorant, but when you can see that something is wrong, you'd think people would at least be curious enough to educate themselves about the problem. I agree, to know better, and still not do better, is appalling.

So sad!!! Just becuase its there, it doesn't need to be bred. I would prefer an open mare versus one that is bred.
default_wacko.png

Well.... I would SO love to e-mail this gal and tell her what I think....... but I know that would probally NOT do any good and really not sit well with her......but it just haunts me and bugs me to NO end knowing she's trying to sell this mare and brags her UP really big and this mare has had one foal that was a top 10 and really tries to brag this mare up!

And I think producing something that carriers a "known" dwarf gene is as bad or equivalant (maybe) would be to me, one that has stifle issues..... but to me, seeing a stifle issue is more noticeable to me because if they have a short hip, weak rear end, I think it's a huge risk factor right there about "possibly" having stifle issues.... I'm a huge one on likeing a nice rear end (the whole horse actually).... so I won't consider one if I don't think it would do well in the show pen..... and a weak rear end will NOT do good in the show pen.

default_no.gif
There are no word to discribe how I feel about these "breeders"...except maybe if we still had that puking "smiley".
default_no.gif

Maybe that was the only stallion she had available?
That would be a sad excuse and no better than doing it just because they could. We ALL know that there are breeders who only see dollar signs, and really don't give a %^$# for the foals they produce. This is one who makes it very obvious that is the case.

We do soooo need a place to go where we can post these names, so all can be informed and make more informed choices. Sadly, we don't, and someone will buy that mare, and even tho' the next foal will possibly look normal, there will be that chance that it, (and it's parents) will go on to produce more dwarves, or carriers.
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

Unbelievable with a little research I was able to locate the farm. I too am appalled that someone would rebreed the same pair then stick an enormous price on the stallion for sale and also a very large price on the mare in foal who could be carrying another dwarf but must definitely carry the dwarf gene. The only thing I can say is if the person looking at either were to follow all the links they will quickly learn from the breeders website that there is a dwarf foal from the pair. Case in point how will they ever stop breeders from matching their horses that have previously thrown a dwarf. They even have the pedigree of this stallion proudly posted so you can follow the lineage back to other breeders.

Those who are in it for the money will continue to breed and sell no matter what happens.

This is truly heart breaking.

We do soooo need a place to go where we can post these names, so all can be informed and make more informed choices. Sadly, we don't, and someone will buy that mare, and even tho' the next foal will possibly look normal, there will be that chance that it, (and it's parents) will go on to produce more dwarves, or carriers.
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
I totally agree. I keep my own personal list of known sires and dams as well as pics of the foals when I can find them. I also think we need a public place for this information but don't have the solution yet. It is something that I'm trying to accomplish; it just takes time. Until then I will not send my list on to others but if you (anyone) want to know if a specific mare or stallion is on my list I will tell you yes or no.

If you (anyone) knows of a sire or dam that have produced a dwarf and would like to contribute that information to my list I'd appreciate it. I don't add names on heresay, I need confirmation.

Thanks!

What I am shocked by is the fact he is listed as a "purebred dwarf". Some unknowing person is probably quite happy to have purchased this "purebred" animal not aware of the severe implications and potential for health issues these animals have. I know there are great families out there who have dwarves and I can only hope that this little boy found one.
default_no.gif

Also, makes me start to question some of these "popular lines" as obviously they are carriers of the gene if I'm not mistaken on how it all works.

Maybe they don't have a clue?

Maybe they are going on what Joe Blow up the road is telling them.

These folks might be so ignorant that they think they really have got something there!

After all, we all know some people are very misguided.

I'd go ahead and email them My Bar......but don't rag them out. See if they have any idea of what they are doing.

I'd agree with Marty on this one. They may really not know. If they're receiving guidance or validation from whomever they bought their horses from they may actually think what they're doing is okay.

Hard one to say what do do. You want to help people that may be clueless, but some people do not or will not accept any education or contrary opinions. And trying to point out what is very obvious to you may take some tact. Good luck with that one.

As for a public here's the horses that have proven to sire/produce a dwarf - that would be great, but unless it's your own breeding/horse the liability would be huge.

So what's the website?

I think Marty and Michelle are on to something..........Perhaps the people are totally ignorant about dwarfism.

I have seen people advertise a little dwarf as an adorable tiny mini and have no clue.......perhaps this person is the same?

Very sad... and i actually hope its a case of not knowing and if/when someone informs them, they take it on board.

We had a foal born here this year 'just not quite right', bent front legs and undershot jaw..... although neither parent have ever produced anything but a perfect foal.... fluke? Perhaps... but i certainly won't run the risk of crossing the 2 together 'just in case'

They even have the pedigree of this stallion proudly posted so you can follow the lineage back to other breeders.
And I would say that is perhaps the best part of this whole thing.

I'd go ahead and email them My Bar......but don't rag them out. See if they have any idea of what they are doing.
And then is anyone going to go back further and tell owners of horses in the pedigree that they are also raising horses that produce dwarves??? Just curious if that would ever occur to anyone?

I'm sure grateful to have read this though because I was seriously considering the pricey purchase of a relative of this stallion and will now be looking at other bloodlines.

edited to say - to their credit, they have listed this foal and the sire and dam
default_aktion033.gif

They even have the pedigree of this stallion proudly posted so you can follow the lineage back to other breeders.

And I would say that is perhaps the best part of this whole thing

I agree. That's the best part. I always find this type of thing VERY informative and I file the information away for future use.

Latest posts

Back