Snake bite

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

She continued to do well yesterday, was eating and the swelling has come down a lot. Last night she did not want to eat, gave her more banamine - Dex and I noticed a couple of hours later she starting eating some. She is eating hay this morning but still not feeling so good. Some swelling under her jaw, her face is tight and not swollen and last night it was hot where the swelling is/was. Her lower lip is better, not so swollen either now and she has more control of it.

We wait, there is nothing else the Vet recomments at this time, only keep her hydrated and eating if possible, meds already prescribed. I had asked about anti venom but they told me none was available. I have not seen this snake but do look for it. We think it could have been a copperhead since we have so much sand here.

Lots of rain here yesterday so hopefully the snake has moved on? Or else hiding somewhere? Gosh............hope I don't see him.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have rattlers here I had one bit last year. A weanling filly. Her face swelled so much that the couldn't close her mouth. The vet recommended banamine and gave her some kind of antihistamine or something. I don't remember exactly. She was much better the next day and almost normal after 2-3 days.

The I had a 2 year old filly who I think was bit yesterday. Not sure on it as she swelled up so fast and it came down rather quickly too. She was fine yesterday morning, then her face was swelled something awful when I got home at 5 last night. She was eating and acted like nothing was wrong. So I gave her banamine and the swelling is almost gone this morning.

It sure does look bad and give your heart a lurch when you see it though.

** I was told there is no anti venom for horses???

My little mare was bit 2 years ago. My vet told me the anit venom used is derived from horses originaly and that is why they cant use it for them. Someone correct me if I am wrong but that is what he told me. Anyway my mares head swelled up so bad she could not eat very well, it took her a long time to recover. she lost a lot of weight, she was on meds for like a week I think cant remember what exactly. anyway, she is great today and expecting her first baby any day now!

I had a mare bit right on the nose a few years ago..... when she was due to foal in one week. If I had not found her within about 3 minutes of it happening, and got a tube inserted in the nostril on the good side, she would have suffocated by the time she got to a vet.

By the way folks, I keep aquarium tubing on hand as a garden hose is much too big for a mini and not very flexible. I keep the 1/2 stuff on hand and it worked great for the mare. Would probably be too big for a foal though. I cut a piece from my aquarium vaccuum cleaner which only cost a few bucks- well worth buying another one if need be!!! It was taped to the halter and yes, her head swelled HUGELY.

There is not a whole lot a vet can do, and they are going to swell regardless. The main thing is to keep them breathing. However, it depends on where the snake bites them, and how badly. There are different kinds of rattlers but venom is made up of things that can cause necrosis of body tissue, neurological damage and organ failure.

We have had some, and dogs, survive, but my neighbor did lose a young mare to renal failure. She just gradually deteriorated over the days..... and didnt make it. It can affect all organs though, so if your horse continues to not want to eat, or gets worse, get her seen by someone a.s.a.p.!!!!!

My mare, though her face was unrecognizable, she could not close her mouth, had to breath through the tube for two or three days before the swelling started to go down and the tube fell out (yeah!) never lost her appetite, so I would say to beware of that as a possible symptom of another problem.

I sure hope your little horse recovers ok.... this is always a serious issue and pretty scary until they are better and healed up.

P.S. The mare foaled one week after she was bitten, and by that time looked like herself again and had no problems foaling! The foal was named Snakecharmer and is owned by a farm in NY!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope she continues to improve...even slowly is better than not!
default_smile.png

My gosh! When I got home from work tonight, she whinnied at me and even walked with some pep to her step. A lot differnet than last night or eve and this morning. She is eating and looking/feeling better. The swelling is nearly all gone.

Thank for the prayers for this little one, I was so worried about her I thought I would lose her.

Thank you all for your support and advise- I love this forum!

Beth

Latest posts

Back