Snake bite

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizbeth

Reaction score
When I went to feed tonight I notice swelling on both sides of this fillies jaw. Just above her muzzle, further inspection showed two bite marks on her lower lip/chin and hard swelling there.

I have not been able to get my vet to return a call as yet. I have given her 3 CC of dex but sure what else to do? She is hungry so am feeding her very sloppy feed. She is eating it. It has been about two hours now and I see no real improvement, but see no further harm/swelling or breathing problems as yet either.

I think I should be giving her PCN also, should I give her banamine as well?

Gee this is my first snake bite and not sure what to do? I will call one other vet ASAP, I have been watching her to see how she is doing. She seems to be breathing okay.

B

When I was a small animal Vet Tech, we always gave Benedryl along with Dex for snake bites. Not sure what the dose would be on a horse though....maybe somebody on here will know? I would probably give Pen too and then just make sure you tell the Vet all that you did and what time when you do talk to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one get bit by a rattle snake. It was years ago, and I cannot remember exactly what the vet did, but she did end up on penicillin. Just make sure her nose does not swell up so much that she cannot breath, I remember that being a major concern. Good luck, hope you are able to get ahold of your vet.

I am not a vet, but I would give Banamine. Can you call a Zoo? Or University Of Pa. New Bolten Center in Kennet Square ,Pa.?

Robin

Hi

Thank you all so much! The vet called and said to give her 2 more CC of DEX., and some banamine. PCN is AM. She is no better as yet but not worse yet either. It must have just happend when I went out to feed and found her.

Yes, I could only remember parts of preventative meds., too but luckily (if you call it that) had some Dex on hand.

I am praying for this sweet little girl? She looks like a chipmonk with full cheeks. She is still breathing good.

I hope to report a good outcome in the morning. I will go in late to work in the AM.

Beth

I had one bitten a few years ago. The vet gave Solu-Delta-Cortef 500 mg. I think it is to help the blood vessels from collapsing. He was on antibiotic and banamine. We gave the banamine twice a day for about 3 days, as long as we felt he needed it. I hydroed the bite area twice a day. It was on his eyelid.

He recovered completely but it was a scary thing. Good luck.

[SIZE=12pt]I'm astonished that your vet didn't want you to bring her in to the clinic or come out to see her in person. We had a rattlesnake bite "Hallmarks Boomers Bentley" under his jaw in two different locations a couple of years ago and we rushed him into to vet where he was given Antivenin, DMSO, Antibiotics, Banamine. The poor boy didn't even resemble a horse. He look more like a alligator when his head swelled so badly. Our vet indicated that he had a fifty percent chance of surviving. Fortunately, he made a full recovery without any tissue damage. [/SIZE]

Beth, the only rattlesnake bites I have seen on horses or dogs have swelled their heads up so you could hardly recognize them. Wonder if your filly only got a glancing blow, or if it could be something else....maybe spider bite? If it is snakebite (or anything with dramatic swelling) you may have to keep her airways open with tubing, open big syringes......anything to keep the nostrils functioning. One of my JRT's got snakebit a few years ago and long story, but I ended up treating her with smz & a painkiller, and using dex & dmso topically. From a hugely distorted face and a big oozing sore, the swelling went down within a week and she only has a small scar now.

Hope she's alright....let me know.

Jan

Hi

I just went and checked on her. Her face is still very swollen (lower part) but does not appear to be as painful. She did not pull away from me. She is munching on hay too although having a bit of a time chewing it. Hopefully she will be okay. I do understand that Dex is slow working, probably the banamine helped a lot.

Not sure about whether she got the full force of it or not, it sure looks like she did. The space between the bite marks is about one inch so we figure it was a big snake. Not sure the type either, I have never seen a snake around here, not a poisions one and really open and sandy (no rain) where she was so it must have been traveling from somewhere?

** I was told there is no anti venom for horses???

Oh she seems a bit better this morning! She whinnied at me and the swelling seems to be down some. She let me touch her head, so these are good signs. She looks horrible but the swelling did not move up to her eyes and remains on her lower face/side and she seems to be breathing good still.

I am very lucky! Waiting now for the sun to come up good to check all the others, but they all looked good last night. Hope "that" moved on out of here. Neigbors were shooting real close Sat., night so bet the scared the snake(s) up from the big pasture behind me. Guns were so loud I just prayed they would not shoot my way. Ugh, always something.

Thank you all,

Beth

Thanks for sharing the pictures of Darla.

How scary to live where you have the fear of snakes.

I hate freezing for six months of the year but thankfully snakes hate it too
default_saludando.gif

Hopefully the o.p.'s mare does okay.

Oh Beth how scary!
default_new_shocked.gif
I'm glad she's a little better today. Poor girl
default_sad.png

[SIZE=12pt]The Antivenin is made by Ft. Dodge and its an off label that can be used on horses.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The other thing is that we searched for the snake and were not able to locate it. One year later to the same month that the horse was bitten my husband was mowing our property on the otherside of our pond and located a huge rattlesnake at that time and killed it. I don't know if that was the same one our not. But don't just assume that it has left and please be careful. [/SIZE]

I'm so glad to hear the your filly is doing some what better this morning....

OMG that is such a scarey thing to have happen! I hope your little girl is much better this afternoon.

Joyce...thank you for posting those pics of Darla and the snake. Very informative. Would'nt not wish that upon any animal or human!

Beth

How is your mare doing? These darn snake bites can be so scary.

Praying all is well.

Joyce

Latest posts

Back