side reins

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApolloIsMyPony

Reaction score
Are longing my horse with side reins beneficial to teaching him to drive? I'm not going to be competing, so I don't need him to look fancy. But just driving for fun, do I still need them for his training? What are things that I will need to train him to drive? I have books and such but I want to be prepared.

I sound like such a newbie. Sorry guys.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Is it absolutely impossible for you to send your horse to a proper trainer for a month or two? (I can't believe more people don't get seriously injured when starting their own horses...) If you have to do the training yourself, side reins can be very benefitial IF you are careful and know what you're doing. Used correctly, side reins can help teach a horse to respect and give to the bit and can also show them how to bend or turn with pressure, etc. Used incorrectly, side reins can harden a horse's mouth, teach a horse to avoid or ignore the bit, etc. Although side reins may help your horse to get "on the bit" with a hurried verticle headset, they will not teach a horse to collect, etc. Should you use them? Probably not if you have to ask.

Okay; thanks for your help and advice.

I would really like to send him to a trainer but I don't know of any that are near me. I don't think my parents would be very keen on spending money to have someone train him when we aren't even trying to make him anything showy. Trust me, I want to send him to a trainer, because I know it's safer for me and my pony, but that doesn't look like it will happen.

I'm not like a total idiot with horses, as I know I sound. I have been riding and handling horses for years. I've taken a lot of green horses and made them into show-material. Of course, this was in the hunter/jumper world and not the driving world. I would love to learn how to drive properly and have someone teach my horse properly, but I live in Cincinnati and I have not found anyone who would teach my pony, much less me.

Again, thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back