Bit/Training Suggestions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Standards! You’ll have to let us know if he likes his new bit and what you think of it. I will keep everyone updated on my end once I receive mine in the mail. My hubby shops eBay all the time, I didn’t even think to check out eBay, good suggestion!

My plan once I get the new bit is as you suggested to be VERY firm with my requests until he gets it. If he pulls, I will pull back harder and I won’t be very nice this time. He is a quick learner so hopefully this behavior will be corrected fairly quickly and we can move forward. I’ll keep y’all updated, thanks everyone!

I hope that gets you the results you need quickly, Kelly. I know that neither of us takes any pleasure in needing to be so firm on our little dudes. But there's some clarity he's not understanding in the current situation. Effect change, then refine, right? Please let me know what you find to use!

I just found this website. Some of the bits sure intimidate me!!! But I think the wire liverpool I want is on here: Bits | Herron's Tack - Horse Tack Shop in Adel, Iowa

Last edited:
I ground drove Breezy this morning in his new bit. I wouldn’t say he loves his new bit and hate is such a stroooooong word. He has now started rearing, which is not good for a driving pony. I wonder how long for him to get use to it or should I stop using it because he does hate it? I know I have changed the rules for him so that does take some time to get use to. The positive is that I am now confident that I can stop him in the new bit, so that is a plus.

I started him In the middle slot, but felt that was too much for him so I ended up putting it in the slot at the top, the first slot.

What to do, what to do? 🤔🤔

Rearing is caused by forward impulsion being blocked. There's no place to go but up. I don't know what you have for a training area, but if you have an arena to work in, I would do changes of direction and gaits.

Kind of like drive forward at a trot, then do a 40' circle to the right. Go forward out of the circle and come back to a walk. Walk a few strides, then ask for a 30' circle to the left at a walk. Walk forward a few steps then ask for trot and trot a half 40' circle to the left and ask for a walk for the other half. Mix it up, make up things as you go. Keep it interesting and don't repeat requests in the same order. This encourages them to start listening, keeps anticipation in check and keeps boredom to a minimum. Frequent gait changes helps with control too. Walk, trot, walk, whoa, trot, whoa, walk, whoa, back, pivot, whoa, trot. I start with about 10 steps between transitions, but if the go 20 before, that's okay to begin because that will encourage relaxment. Standing length depends on how they stand. If standing still is near impossible, I'll count (in my head) to maybe two before asking forward. Next stop maybe 3, then maybe 1 then maybe 4. Mix it up so they don't anticipate when they get to walk off.

Feel free to ask questions 😊

Update:

Ok so I’ve been putting off… dreading… putting the new bit back in his mouth, it really wasn‘t fun having him rear so much, but after yesterday being on the trails and him running through the bit again I made myself get back to it today. He is perfectly fine at home and out in my neighborhood. It’s when we go with another horse.

I loosened one of the straps that attaches to his bit and he stopped rearing! So I think I had that way too tight 🤪 LOL poor guy! He didn’t rear once today, although we didn’t work very long because now my issue is the chain. It is way too long. I think I need to cute it in half or something. It pushes the top slot of the bit into the upper side of his mouth. At first I was thinking the bit was too small, but then realized it was the chain, I just have it hanging down for now. There is a little ring in the middle of the chain, i have attached to that but I still think that is too long. Any tips on how and where to cut the chain? Is it suppose to be about a finger width loose under the chin? Or does it need to be tighter? Any tips and ideas would be appreciated.

I have been working on those transitions and mixing it up as suggested. I have noticed improvements in him, now I just have to do it in the new bit 😁

Cut the chain on both ends so the center ring remains centered. The center ring is for a "lip strap or lip chain" that attaches to small rings on each side of the bit and the lip strap runs through the center ring to the other side to keep the curb chain from bouncing and being annoying and also to keep the chain from falling off and getting lost. To be honest, IDK if they use lip straps on driving bits! I used the lip straps a lot when i was younger on the riding horses. I would think a generous finger width would be good to start. Try putting your finger under the chain (between his chin and chain) and then pulling the reins back, you'll get an idea how much play you have before the chain comes into action.

And my lamentations are kind of the opposite. I broke my twisted liverpool (the shank bent) but I found that it was not well made either. My other fixed liverpool that I ordered never came in - maybe wasn't actually sent out! But there's a refund coming. I've ordered a THIRD liverpool from a retailer within the province, but this one is not an arch, it's a mullen mouthpiece. Hopefully we can get this show back on the road! @Marsha Cassada, have you played with using different settings on the shanks? I'll use mine at the bottom rein hole, but it sounds like your little dude is a little offended by too much pressure.
Funny kids. He sure seems indignant that there's a consequence to running through your hands!

And my lamentations are kind of the opposite. I broke my twisted liverpool (the shank bent) but I found that it was not well made either. My other fixed liverpool that I ordered never came in - maybe wasn't actually sent out! But there's a refund coming. I've ordered a THIRD liverpool from a retailer within the province, but this one is not an arch, it's a mullen mouthpiece. Hopefully we can get this show back on the road! @Marsha Cassada, have you played with using different settings on the shanks? I'll use mine at the bottom rein hole, but it sounds like your little dude is a little offended by too much pressure.
Funny kids. He sure seems indignant that there's a consequence to running through your hands!
I started on the first hole but I'm using the long hole now. I believe I have enough rein experience now to use that properly. Billy seems very content with our setup, so not changing anything!

Another update 😁

I …well, my hubby… got the chain cut on both ends and then bent in the loops so the chain stays on. I ground drove Breezy today, he only reared twice so I thought let’s give it a go in the bike 😁… he did fine. He does seem more responsive in the bit. At this point I am not sure if he loves or hates it 🤷🏻‍♀️ Sometimes he does still gap open his mouth, but it is still new so only time will tell. He was much better today though. Today I tried NOT to give him voice cues and I just wanted to work in his mouth to see his reaction and how he accepted the bite. Just testing him out, but my real test will be on Wednesday when I meet my friend Julie and her horse Hollee out on trail, wish me luck 🤪🤪

Ding, ding, ding, we have a wiener… I mean winner! 🤣🤣🤣 got to hit the trails with Breezy today and the best part was that we have breaks!! I can’t tell you how excited and happy I am about that!! Now he might not have been too excited about the new situation, but I am relieved to say the least. He only popped up slightly on his fronts once while hooked to the bike so I was really pleased. He likes to protest by throwing his head around and having a little temper tantrum from time to time, but he is a quick learner and is finding out that his behavior isn’t getting him anywhere. He can no longer run through the bit! I have breaks!!

He still likes to gap his mouth open at times, but I will give him a while to adjust to the new bit. Might have to get a cranky something or other due hicky or a figure 8 thingy ma-jig…🤣🤣 …. but I can cross that bridge later on if need be…. I loved to hear y’all recommendations.

Just excited I have control. This bit has 3 places to attach he reins. I used the middle slot today (I guess technically called the first slot) for a tad bit more leverage.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Holy cow I'm so excited for you!!! I finally received the THIRD bit I've ordered for Phillippe. It's a liverpool mullen mouth that looked just straight in the picture, but is actually a low arch so I'm quite pleased with it. It's decently thin, but he's still putting his tongue over it. I have a modification that I can help him out with that part, not hugely worried right now. I also had breaks! And turning (like turning a 2 x 4, but it's improving!!) This weekend we're going to an obstacle and basic driving clinic with both our littles. I'm really excited to see how they do!

I have only been using my new bit and I am really liking it. Breezy has gotten use to it now and hasn’t reared all week. 🥳 He isn’t throwing his head around either, he might be saving that tactic for when we drive with other horses 🤪 I am so glad to have breaks! When we were out in the hood the other day, the brakes (bit) came in very handy. I won’t mention any names…. BREEZY🤣🤣….. didnt want to stop at the stop sign when cars were going by, so I was very happy to have control. Thank you everyone for all your input and help!!🥰

Latest posts

Back