Sad news

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Now, whether you agree with me or not, I know what I did (after second guessing myself many many times) was the right thing to do.[/SIZE]

He had been going progressively downhill since late afternoon, regardless of hourly feedings and getting his body temperature stabilized. He had lost his suck reflex and was refluxing foul smelling green slime from his nostrils. He was passing lots of urine, but had no control over it and had passed no feces. By 3 AM he was struggling to breathe and was almost unresponsive, (he had been in the house for several hours by this time under blankets and a heating pad), with Zac and I in the den on the floor with him. Mia let the foal use her Dora The Explorer blanket
default_bye-sad.gif
:

About 3:30 AM I decided to end his suffering with an overdose of Ace. He drifted off peacefully, warm and loved. I haven't had a critically ill foal in a long, long time and it's not any easier than it was then :no: I was not willing to let his suffering continue though and I know I made the right choice.

Thank you all so much for your support and prayers...

Wind to thy wings little one...

Edited to add..

This sweet boy was not actually mine, but they are all "mine"
default_rolleyes.gif
: . His mommy & daddy actually belong my Sister Lindsey and her partner Dianne. He was a full brother to this 2006 gelding, "Phoenix"....

MVC-017F-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about your baby, I know it was hard for you and Mia but personally I think you did the right thing. God bless you for caring that he was suffering so much.

Lyn

You did do the right thing. You have been in this business long enough to understand there was something very wrong. Starting with the mares behavior. I am sorry, but glad he was safe. I am sorry too that Mia had to see that. But she is a brave little girl.

EVERYONE HAS TO MAKE CHOICES THAT ARE RIGHT FOR THEM AND FOR THEIR ANIMALS. SOUNDS LIKE IT HE WAS PRETTY BAD AND NOW HE WILL HAVE NO MORE SUFFERING. I AM VERY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS, AND YOU WILL BE IN MY THOUGHTS.
default_pray.gif
:

I am sorry you had to go thru this but you absolutely did do the right thing.

Don't second guessyou were right.

Hugs

Bonnie

So sorry for your loss, you did the right thing and I think his momma knew there was a problem.

The right decision is not always the easy decision and you made the right decision. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry, Laura......... It does sound as though something was very wrong with the little fellow.
default_sad.png

MA

Laura,

I am so sorry for the loss of your little one but applaud you for doing for him what ended his suffering. There have been many times in my 60 years with many many pets that had I had the drugs to do so I would have personally ended their suffering. Godspeed little one and God Bless you, Laura.

I am so sorry for the loss of your little one but you absolutely did the right thing to end his suffering and give him peace. I hope you to can find peace. Hugs to you!!

Tammie~

Laura, I know this was hard, but you know you did the right thing, and I agree. To end the suffering is often the best thing for one so ill..... jennifer

Last edited by a moderator:
It is my belief that one should always follow your inner voice. I am so sorry he didn't make it but he was loved for his short time here. I applaud you and am sorry for all your sad hearts especially Mia's.

Laura, you did the best anyone could for him, it was obvious that there must have been internal problems.

Hugs to you and the kids.

[SIZE=14pt]so sorry for the loss of your new boy. my thoughts are with you, Nikki[/SIZE]

So sorry for your loss, I agree sounds like something was wrong, he is at peace now.

I am so very sorry. You did the right thing by not allowing him to suffer and for caring enough to let him go. Take care of yourself.

kareng

Latest posts

Back