Red Cell

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
Hi Guys

So...Willow was sick again last night
default_no.gif
Not as bad as last time, and she's out right now munching away. The vet thinks that it may be ulcers this time (I can't think how, as a horse can't have a more stress-free life here
default_rolleyes.gif
) caused by the PHF etc. So...he's administering oxytetracycline again over 3 days this time (not 5) and I'm giving her gastroguard. He took blood and said that she's anemic. So he gave me Nutrequin to gave her daily. Does anyone use the supplement Red Cell? How much do you give a 200-250lb. mini?

Matt

I think a full size horse dose is an ounce or two. (trying to do this from frank's memory, don't have a bottle on hand right now) that's 30cc. divide that by 5 and you get 5cc. I can't remember if it's once or twice per day. We suck that up into a syringe and squirt in mouth.

We've found it can give the horse a stomach ache if they already have ulcers so want the horse on ulcer meds too. It really seems to perk up a lethargic one that is eating poorly.

I hope your Willow comes along quickly for you this time. 'If' she's ulcery, plan on at least 30 days of ulcer meds.

Charlotte

p.s. I forgot, we keep it refrigerated since B vitamins are fairly fragile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lixotinic is way more palatable than Red Cell, but more expensive. And I'm grossed out it's made from beef liver. But every horse I've given it to has WAY preferred the Lixotinic.

It's a good daily liquid vitamin supplement for year-round use. Especially if your horse tends towards anemia.

A mini would get 1/2 oz dose of either one.

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine have also always preferred the lixotinic and have ate it well on their feed.

Matt, a horse with ulcers is going to show up as anemic more than likely. Once the ulcers are under control it should be fine.

I've used Red Cell in the past on a couple of big horses that were iron deficient for a very short time. It is really good stuff but put it this way: I wouldn't use it if I did not have to and could get away with something else. The key to ulcer sucess is to be sure you keep the horse on it long enough, 30- 45 days usually if not more. At the same time I use ulcer meds I use probios as well.

Matt, we've used both red cell and lixitonic.......1 to 2 teaspoons......mixed with water orally.

Ulcer meds and probiotics as well.......Good luck with your little Willow. (We had a Willow too....)

Just an FYI for those that have used, are using, or are going to use Red Cell; I'm using Nutrequin. Apparently it's MUCH better and MUCH more palatable
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back