Red bag delivery???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gracie

Reaction score
Ok Im reading through blessed are the broodmares AGAIN * Quickly* and I cant find the are athat covers this, What is it you do when ya se e ared bag ? I forget geeze im gettin nervous and gonns forget everything i should know,

I think what you do is you rip the sack and get the foal out ASAP! It's very important to get that foal out as soon as possible as oxygen is compromised. You want to have scissors or something sharp to cut that sack and just time is the huge factor with what I understand about red bag deliveries.

Thanks Jill I found an article online so am now a little calmer, lol you'd think this being the 6th foal we have had Id know this stuff and be calm, lol but SOMEHOW Ive missed 4 of the last 5 lol

this one I wont miss. Thanks again you have ALL been so very helpful,

I'm excited for you!!!

And, I can relate about being nervous -- trust me!!!!

Until a month or so ago, I couldn't let myself read up on red bag, malpositions, etc., or I'd just be too worked up. I deliberately waited until the last minute to learn about some of the scary things.

Good luck! Can't wait to see pictures of your little foal
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Our red bag foal was not breathing and was blue when I got him out so keep that in mind (I have heard others with red bag have foals not breathing) so be prepared to get the foal breathing again. We use a cut off water bottle (small size) to put over the foals muzzle and force air into the lungs. Works better then mouth to mouth

Thank you for that tip, Kay. I will put this in my kit today and explain it to H also!

Your welcome!! My friend ginny taught me that and it has been a live saver literally. I know its what saved cody. Might put some tape on the cut edge if its not smooth. I blew on that once and he turned pink and jumped up and has been running ever since LOL.

Heres hoping we all have easy foalings and dont need it!!

I'm very excited for you too, and I love that you are reading and preparing for the "big event"!!!

Liz R.

Latest posts

Back