Rasping hooves............

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
Hi,

well another foaling season is upon us........Good Luck to us all........
default_smile.png

Last year with my foal crop I messed with their feet more than I used to with foals. Its important to get them accustomed to it. That being said I don't trim, I let my farrier do that.

However, I want to rasp but when I do it their feet are so tough and I don't seem to make any progress am I just a wimp and need practice? Are their easier ways to do this that I'm not doing? I've watched my farrier and he makes it look so easy...........LOL

Are their better rasps than others? I just bought a one from the farm store its kind of big for me. I thought it would be a little easier than it was......................
default_new_shocked.gif

Would love to hear how you experienced people all do it.

Thanks!

It was hard the first couple of times for me too but you just have to find the angle of the rasp to the hoof that works best and also it does require a little bit of strength so it may take a while to build up those muscles.

Definitely all rasps are not created equal. If you bought the cheapest variety available, it probably won't be great to use.

I used to buy the $25 variety at the local tack store, then the last time I bought one I just grabbed that same price one without paying much attention. Took it home, looked at it & realized it wasn't the same as what I'd bought previously--this one was so thick, and so heavy--I have no idea if it would have done a decent job; I knew it was much too heavy and clumsy for me so I took it back & exchanged it for the $42 rasp. Huge improvement--it was thinner and lighter and actually did a better job (and has lasted longer) than the $25 ones I used to buy.

However, there is a certain skill required to do a good job of rasping...the first time I tried, many years ago, I was hopeless at it! It wasn't that I'd use the rasp & not get anything off the hoof...I just couldn't make it work properly--it would kind of bounce and skip over the hoof and didn't do anything at all. I thought I'd never be able to trim hoofs, just because I was such a putz with the rasp. But then one day I took another try at it & it worked!
default_laugh.png
Now it is easy...but I'm afraid that I cannot describe in words how you do it.

I do suspect, though, that your rasp may be a good part of your problem.

My husband usually moves the foot not the rasp

makes it a little easier when they are so small
default_wink.png

Sorry we do not claim to be a professional farrier,

just something he has done with our weanlings,

if our farrier is not coming right away.

I believe we have a lot of farriers here, that know more about hoof care.
default_wink.png

I think thats true, I just need to build up and get used to it.

Is there a good brand of rasp I should look for?

Ya Sixstardanes that looks quit handy.

Thanks everyone!

As minimor said, rasps are not created equal. Simonds Black Master is a good one.

Some rasps just do not work and will discourage you.

You need to get a good quality rasp, and my style is to rasp in one direction, away from me.

The finer side is used on the top of the hoof, much the same as using a nail file, just to smooth and clean.

Just have a farrier in and watch their technique, as they would rasp the hoof after trimming, normally.

Most styles of rasping are to do the bottom of the hoof, then smooth the hoof top, and clean, using the finer side of the rasp, finishing off by rounding the edge of the hoof to smooth it off and tweek the shape.

Hard to describe, but the quality of rasp is the deciding factor on the success of your rasping job, i.m.h.o.

Mary I am too! he he he............. Hey that looks good, too bad it doesn't have batteries to rotate itself back and forth......ha ha be good for wimps like me! Probably scare the horse though.
default_sad.png

Another question, how quick does a rasp get dull?

Last edited by a moderator:
Send hubby out to do it!
default_laugh.png

I can do it, but I always end up rasping off half my knuckles before I get the hang of it.
default_wacko.png

I love when others put up links to help each other out! I have saved most of them and habve folders full of links for things!

Here is a forum you can read to learn about farriers. I love to read anything about horses!

Farrier

I noticed a couple comments about accidentally rasping your hands and would like to add that I wear leather gloves when I am trimming feet.
default_smile.png

Definitely.....gloves.

I have a pair of heavy rubber gloves that give me a good grip and protect my knuckles froma slip of the rasp.

When I first started trimming my girl rasping was so hard. I thought it had to be my rasp and found out it was me. That and my filly has really good hard feet. A firend of mine that tought me to trim loves when I head her way cuz she uses my rasp, I don't mind cuz she helps break it in. Yes rasps have a break in period, I did not know that. I too just thought I was a wimp. I got my rasp at TSC as well and mine was I think 30?? Not sure though.

But to answer, yes it takes practice and Diamond are what my friend recommended as a great brand. They stand up well to big horses feet and so they last longer on smaller hooves. And YES wear gloves. After I took my thumb to the knuckle once I have always worn leather gloves since. That hurt like a son of a gun and I never want it to happen again. Bled like a facial wound too. I had a scar for a while but it finally went away.

I got mine at the local tack store. I didn't just grab one. I looked at what they had and chose what suited me the best. I don't like the one with the siut case grip because you need the corse and fine rasp. I spent about $30 for mine about 3 years ago. It is still going strong. I also use gardening gloves from the dollar store to keep my hands safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back