Farrier etiquette

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone,

I've been reading along and want to introduce myself and jump into this conversation. My 15 year old daughter and I adopted two minis last year during the pandemic. Both of my parents died and she got very depressed, so I got her two therepy horses! She is a horse person, me not so much, but I'm learning.

We live on Martha's Vineyard, a very beautiful, very expensive place to live. Our farrier, who is fabulous, comes from off-lsland, from PA, and we pay $200 for both minis. She charges $150 for each big horse, but she knows I am a single mother, a teacher on MV, and don't have a lot of money, so she gives me a great deal. I was shocked when I saw what you all were paying! Oh well. The things we do for our childre.

I am learning a lot from all of you and I hope to start posting and learning more. I have a lot to learn! I am going to try to post a picture of my daughter, Cameron, and Sweet Pea and Pumpkin. I'll tell you their stories another time.
(I did it! I'm so proud of myself! I'm not very tech savvy...)

Thank you all for sharing. It's not only informative, it's inspiring!

Heidi
They are beautiful - all three of them! I have a small retirement hobby farm in SE Massachusetts with one mini. Looking for a rescue companion for her.

Reactions: Taz
They are beautiful - all three of them! I have a small retirement hobby farm in SE Massachusetts with one mini. Looking for a rescue companion for her.

We found Sweet Pea on the island. Her paddock mate had died 1 1/2 years before we found her in someone's backyard paddock in the town we live in. She was very depressed and lonely and obese. She barely moved. I looked for a rescue to be her companion, but had no luck, so we went online to Chippaway Stables in southern MA because we were told the guy who was an honest horse trader. We found Pumpkin there, though her name was Cinderella then, and we bought her. She had been brought to Chippaway from an auction in AL and she was only about 5 and very anxious, so we basically rescued them both and they love each other. Sweet Pea is very partial to my daughter because my daughter was the first to give her loving care and attention after her paddock mate died. Pumpkin favors me 'cause she needs a mama. :)

Anyway, check out Chippaway Stables (or Farms, I can't remember) if you can't find a rescue. Good luck! Heidi

Hi Heidi,
Your daughter and the minis are so cute. Her smile is priceless. What a wonderful mom you are.
Thank you! I worry that our horses don't get enough exercise and attention, but they have each other and a pretty big paddock. Hoping this summer, my daughter will get interested in training again.

Did you get Pumpkin/Cinderella in August 2020? If so, I got Rowan (who was called Tonto) from Chipaway at the same time and I noticed Cinderella, she was SO sweet and I might have come home with two but she was already sold, probably to you! They do re-use names though and your Pumpkin looks a bit bigger than I remember that Cinderella being, so maybe not the same horse. Either way they're both adorable! And if it is the same Cinderella, your farrier has done a great job on her feet, they were a mess when she first arrived at Chipaway. Rowan and Cinderella seemed a bit bonded and I wondered if they were siblings since they have a similar look about them and were one year apart in age.

Yes! We got Pumpkin (formerly Cinerella) in August 2020 and we remember Tonto! I wonder if they were siblings. Sad to see them split if so. We were thinking of gettting Tonto, but then he was sold, so we got Cinderella instead. She is so, so sweet and very social. And yes, we have an amazing farrier, Daisy Bicking. She's a pretty well know teacher as well as farrier. We are very lucky.

We went for our first family walk (dog, kid, and minis!), but the video was too long apparrently to upload. Oh well. :) It was super fun! When the weather warms up we want to learn to cart/drive.

Congrats on your first family walk! I bet your minis had fun too!

Have you had a chance to read the walking/hiking thread? Hop in and join! There is no set goal, or set distance. I am not doing any walking now but hope to be back at it in March. I find it very motivating and great fun to share with other pony people.

Stay warm! 😊

Did you get Pumpkin/Cinderella in August 2020? If so, I got Rowan (who was called Tonto) from Chipaway at the same time and I noticed Cinderella, she was SO sweet and I might have come home with two but she was already sold, probably to you! They do re-use names though and your Pumpkin looks a bit bigger than I remember that Cinderella being, so maybe not the same horse. Either way they're both adorable! And if it is the same Cinderella, your farrier has done a great job on her feet, they were a mess when she first arrived at Chipaway. Rowan and Cinderella seemed a bit bonded and I wondered if they were siblings since they have a similar look about them and were one year apart in age.

Yes! We got Pumpkin (formerly Cinerella) in August 2020 and we remember Tonto! I wonder if they were siblings. Sad to see them split if so. We were thinking of gettting Tonto, but then he was sold, so we got Cinderella instead. She is so, so sweet and very social. And yes, we have an amazing farrier, Daisy Bicking. She's a pretty well know teacher as well as farrier. We are very lucky.

Seriously? Holy crap! That is sooooooo COOL!! ♥♥♥♥

Small world!

Oh yay, that's so great, I've thought of her often and wondered how she was doing so I'm so glad to know she's in a good place. She seemed like such a sweetheart. I know that Rowan came from the Amish via the New Holland auction in PA (that was on his Coggins), so if Pumpkin came from Alabama then probably they are not related. They did post video of her driving though so she's already trained! Here's a pic of Rowan:
IMG_3757.JPG

I have been looking at Chipaway Stables minis for a couple of years, but wound up rescuing Consuelo from Maine. I am still looking at their postings and hope to acquire another within the year. I am so pleased to know that others have minis from Chipaway in the area. I am in SE Mass. I also recognize all of those names and so glad they all got good homes.

Latest posts

Back