Questions on feeding a foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estelle

Reaction score
Hi there..I notice that my 2 1/2 week foal is already nibbling at her moms dinner, both hay and grain. I was wondering when:

I should start giving her some of her own?

When I do start giving her own how much per feeding?

How do I keep mom out of it?

Thanks gang.
default_smile.png

Lots of choices. I let mine eat with mom and then I tie mom so baby can eat (usually while I'm in the barn cleaning or nearby), or I let baby outside the stall (my stalls are open/mesh front) and with their own dish.

Some make creep feeders (a space only the foals can get into and leave out unlimited feed for the foals), but my mares would figure out a way to get in and eat up the grain, which they don't need.

I feed my foals as much as they will eat, usually give them an adult portion and what they don't eat, I feed to a different horse/foal or dump out.

My vet says this is fine, foals don't founder like big horses on feed and they just won't spend that much time eating it anyway. I feed them a feed formulated for growth (which is what the mares eat, too, a "Development" formulation of LMF feed).

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back