Winter feeding? Northern Midwest Winters?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, those of you in snowy winter states, how do feed the little mighty mights? Poundage wise, according to the "feed 1.5-3%" of body weight she only gets 6lbs max morning and night, but seems to go through it all in a matter of 2-3 hours. I've tried those high country plastics hay balls, slow feed nets with 1" holes, and still she's out of hay by the time I get home from work or when I go out to feed in the morning. What do you guys all use? I only have 1 mini, which might mean that boredom is part of the problem, but she terrorizes the pony next to her when I tried them out together.

That amount recommendation is per day, not per feeding; but that said, if she's not obese on the amount you feed, I wouldn't worry about, until she starts gaining too much.
It might be beneficial to divide the meals into multiple slow feeders, so you can put them in different places around her pen, so she has to walk between and get a little exercise and entertainment, rather than just standing in one place to eat. You could try to double net the hay to slow her down further or find a 3/4" net.
I don't use anything, and mine do run out of hay between feeds, sometimes. Middle of winter, they often get a whole round bale plopped in their feeder (during these times, it takes a lot longer to run out of hay); but keep in mind I have multiple minis in multiple paddocks, so they entertain each other. I rarely worry about them running out of hay, as I know I feed them plenty for their dietary needs, and have rarely had problems due to them running out.

I use the 3/4" hay nets from Hayburners. I started with 1" hole nets and he got so good at getting the hay out that it didn't really slow him down at all. I don't get to the barn every day so I typically set him up with enough hay to last a week just in case. When I track it by weighing at the beginning and end, he's pretty much right on track - eats about 1.5-2% of body weight per day in summer, more like 3% in really cold weather, and weight stays good.

I pretty much give mine as much hay as they will eat. Ideally I want them to have scraps left when I feed in the morning. I feel like not having hay is unnatural for them, it causes ulcers and stall vices, and unhappy horses. Of course if your mini tends towards the chunky side, that can cause worse problems. So I exercise mine regularly. It's a pain for me but I feel like it's better for them.

Very similar here. Two feedings a day, summer 1/2# of good quality grain twice a day each, and enough hay to last between feedings. In the summer and early Fall, I grab hay and walk down their paddock area shaking it out so they have more of a grazing experience. Depending on our temperature, it won’t be much longer before I also drop in one big round bale for free choice, and this continues throughout the cold weather even into April/ May. In the winter, their grain is increased to 1# each twice a day.

We're working on feeding our herd of littles 3 x/day plus I have a 1" slow feeder net that I do my best to keep full of oat straw during the winter so they always have something to chew on. Unfortunately that donkey of mine has learned how to put larger holes in it. It's just straw though, so it doesn't worry me much. They're all a little plump right now, but up here in north-central Alberta Canada, it's already freezing at night. No snow yet though. Could happen any time, it just doesn't stay until beginning of November.

I wonder if anyone here has experience managing a horse who can no longer eat hay in the winter? Little Marty has choked and has no real teeth left. He eats soaked beet pulp, timothy cubes, and senior feed 3 times a day. Right now he nibbles on the little grass that grows on our land, but I'm wondering how he'll do when the grass is frozen. The vet is coming for another round of tooth care next week so I'll ask if she thinks he could manage a little chopped hay, but I just worry he'll be bored to death!

We have a mustang, adopted in 1991, who is now close to 40. Cochise cannot eat hay effectively but we always keep a big hay bale in his paddock, even though he also has free choice pasture, up until the snow starts piling up. We feel it is important as the hay is another free choice item and provides contentment.

He is 14.2 hands with a small build. His grain ration is 15# daily of 1/2 alfalfa pellets and 1/2 senior feed split into two feeding.

Hugs to Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpeg
    IMG_0091.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
We have a mustang, adopted in 1991, who is now close to 40. Cochise cannot eat hay effectively but we always keep a big hay bale in his paddock, even though he also has free choice pasture, up until the snow starts piling up. We feel it is important as the hay is another free choice item and provides contentment.

He is 14.2 hands with a small build. His grain ration is 15# daily of 1/2 alfalfa pellets and 1/2 senior feed split into two feeding.

Hugs to Marty
40! I hope our guys live that long. Marty has already choked once at rescue, and when he has gotten near some hay on the ground and munched on it I've seen him drop big quids of food out of his mouth, so I do worry about his safety. I'm looking into grain slow feeders to at least slow him down a bit, or maybe some extruded senior feed in a treat ball.

Hugs to Marty
Cochise...Looking good😍

I wonder if anyone here has experience managing a horse who can no longer eat hay in the winter? Little Marty has choked and has no real teeth left. He eats soaked beet pulp, timothy cubes, and senior feed 3 times a day. Right now he nibbles on the little grass that grows on our land, but I'm wondering how he'll do when the grass is frozen. The vet is coming for another round of tooth care next week so I'll ask if she thinks he could manage a little chopped hay, but I just worry he'll be bored to death!
My senior mini stallion is now missing 2-3 molars, could be more now, I've lost count. He gets soaked senior and hay pellets twice a day and has free access to chopped forage, which he rifles for the choicest bits and leaves slobbered on, coarse bits behind (which one of his companions happily eats his left-overs, slobber and all, so I have no waste). In the summer, he goes out with his companions on grass and he quids fresh grass. [If he doesn't go out daily with his companions, he quits eating, so it's better that he goes out and quids a little hay, then to go off feed completely.]
I've tried several chopped forages, his favorite seems to be the Standlee alfalfa/timothy mix or the straight alfalfa chop. He's also had the Dumor chopped timothy/alfalfa mix, and ate it fine. Both brands are fine, and I've found finer and coarse bags from each brand. We've also tried, several other chopped forages which he didn't care for, but yours might like them: Triple crown Safe Starch forage, Standlee chopped timothy, Dumor Hi-Fiber, several varieties of Lucerne Farms chopped (he likes some, doesn't like others, I can no longer readily get it, so have lost track of which he liked and didn't) and TNT Chops (haven't seen this one in several years, they may no longer be in business).

Good ideas! Maybe even two treat balls? (I’m sure Marty would agree! 😂)
Another thought, do you have access to chopped hay in your area? If so maybe scattering an armful randomly around Marty’s area would allow him to ‘graze’ without getting the bigger mouthfuls?
We do! I am going to ask the vet when they come out for his next float. If she thinks it's ok to try then we'll start with that. I've also seen people chop their own hay with a mulcher which may be another option.

My senior mini stallion is now missing 2-3 molars, could be more now, I've lost count. He gets soaked senior and hay pellets twice a day and has free access to chopped forage, which he rifles for the choicest bits and leaves slobbered on, coarse bits behind (which one of his companions happily eats his left-overs, slobber and all, so I have no waste). In the summer, he goes out with his companions on grass and he quids fresh grass. [If he doesn't go out daily with his companions, he quits eating, so it's better that he goes out and quids a little hay, then to go off feed completely.]
I've tried several chopped forages, his favorite seems to be the Standlee alfalfa/timothy mix or the straight alfalfa chop. He's also had the Dumor chopped timothy/alfalfa mix, and ate it fine. Both brands are fine, and I've found finer and coarse bags from each brand. We've also tried, several other chopped forages which he didn't care for, but yours might like them: Triple crown Safe Starch forage, Standlee chopped timothy, Dumor Hi-Fiber, several varieties of Lucerne Farms chopped (he likes some, doesn't like others, I can no longer readily get it, so have lost track of which he liked and didn't) and TNT Chops (haven't seen this one in several years, they may no longer be in business).
Chandab thanks for the recommendations! We've been trying the Safe Starch and its going pretty well - mixing a handful in with his mash slows him down quite a bit, and I've been giving him a feed scoop's worth to munch on overnight. I love that it's vitamin fortified too, i had been giving him a little Grand Vite every day since he'd been so malnourished, but I think i'll cut that out now.

It's funny we do the same - send our draft horse out for night turnout after the two old boys have been out all day dropping bits of hay and she happily vacuums it up for morning!

Latest posts

Back