quarantine, please take time to read, this problem is GROWING

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the replys. However I am trying to find out if the horse that left me at Nationals and went to the PLACE NAMED !!! Has made it to France , this makes me sick..
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

Good luck Belinda - I hope that you took TONS of pictures of the horse before it left your care.

I talked to the lady where the horse went , Lucky he arrived in the most excellent shape she said, She was at A Nationals herself so saw him when he was taken by the company to quarantine.. All was good , so sounds like she was lucky , although I must say this is the first I have heard so much about this place .. Such a shame..

Joanne -

I used to think this way as well. Now, after this horrible experience, I do NOT. There are simply people that I will not allow MY horses to travel with or be handled by. If that costs me a sale, then so be it. Only I can act in my animals best interest and speak for them. The cheapest alternative is often the most costly in many ways - this one may well have cost my mare her life. My only wish is that for the 27 people who have contacted me (and ALL named the same person), you share your experience so that we can prevent other needless harm to animals. Only then can we END this persons destructive nature and put the business back in the hands of people who REALLY care about the animals.

default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

Hi everyone,

I'm also from Belgium and I have used several quarantaine stations over the past years. Now, I think which quarantaine station this post is about and it's the one I used most recently. Now, I have the feeling that only 1 side of the story is being told here.

I purchased a mare at the double diamond sale in Octobre 2010 and she was shipped to the quarantaine in Texas. She had been bred late in the year, so she wasn't confirmed yet. We had her checked at the quarantaine and unfortunately she wasn't in foal. Because we wanted her to be bred in the US, we asked S. if it would be possible to let her stay during the winter. This wasn't a problem at all and she asked a very fair boarding price. Hence, the mare stayed with her from Octobre 2010 till March 2011. During this period, we didn't have any problems whatsoever! She always responded immediately when we had any questions and sent photos when we wanted. In March we received the following photo:

micha2.jpg

In my opinion, this doesn't look like a mare that hasn't been taken care for during the winter.

Late in March we had her transported to the farm which stallion we had selected for her. All the arrangements were made by quarantaine and again everything went smoothly: no problems with payments, timing. She made sure that the owner of the stallion had all the necessary info like vacination dates, farrier etc..

She was bred, after the first breeding confirmed in foal and stayed at the farm until it was safe for her to be transported. She went back to the quarantaine, and all the arrangements were made for her transport to Europe. And again: no problems. We received photos of her at the airport and in the container with plenty of water and hay. She arrived in Luxembourg in perfect condition! We even received some foal blankets as a gift, because I had mentioned that it was so hard to find quality miniature foal blankets around here.

It's hard for me to believe all these bad stories are about the same person. Based on my experience, I would definitely make use of her facility again and even recommend her to others.

This is absolutely unacceptable! I think we should know which quarantine service in order to avoid using them. I sold a bred mare to a wonderful man in Belgium and the horse was in great shape. I received photos of her during her 30 day quarantine and also photos when she arrived at her new home. I'm sorry that you and others had such a rotten experience. I would be most interested in finding out which quarantine these horses were at. As a breeder, I want nothing but the best for my horses and clients.
This man is a good friend of ours and if I remember correctly he worked with quarantaine to transport this mare. He has worked with her a couple of times already and never had any problems.

I'm really sorry for the persons that had such a terrible experience, but I felt I needed to share mine.

Eva

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

We are from Germany and have importet horses this year via Marion.

I can only confirm that everything went fine. The QT was great. I have seen it with my own eyes.... everything worked out very fine.

If we will import horses again OASIS would be our choise!

All the best in the hobby,

Matt

The op's and my horses were all the same shipment and same plan. You saw her pictures! Do I need to post pictures of the yearling with all the lice on her? The vet bills showing the horse had a viral infection. As soon as the people got the horse she was coughing.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Dr. Collins of the USDA export office today - she is sending me direct contact information "for someone higher up" who will be handling the investigation, etc... for any people who have utilized the facility in question who may have concerns. I was informed that "all matters of animal neglect that could possibly affect international trade" are heavily investigated including the welfare of ALL animals at the facility (and other facilities operated by the owner). I will post that information as soon as I have it. I did speak with the Sheriff again and they reported "a large amount of severely thin horses" and were unable to identify my mare as they were not able to enter the property.

Adam -

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to be so far away from your mare. Did the Sherrif say they had reported neglect/abuse after seeing the severely thin horses? I would think that observation would give them the legal authority to enter the property in order to investigate.

I wish there was something I could do to help you...

Adam-i am also very sorry. Thank you for your message, I am using my phone so can not send one back, but I wanted you to know that I appreciate it. I hope you get your mare back very soon.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Dr. Collins of the USDA export office today - she is sending me direct contact information "for someone higher up" who will be handling the investigation, etc... for any people who have utilized the facility in question who may have concerns. I was informed that "all matters of animal neglect that could possibly affect international trade" are heavily investigated including the welfare of ALL animals at the facility (and other facilities operated by the owner). I will post that information as soon as I have it. I did speak with the Sheriff again and they reported "a large amount of severely thin horses" and were unable to identify my mare as they were not able to enter the property.
If you need to pull her out and need a place to put her for a while she is more than welcome to stay with us. We are right here in Fort Worth.

I am pleased to hear that some sort of investigation is now under way.I hope that everyone concerned will be passing on all information to the authorities and that this whole mess will reach a satisfactory conclusion. My fear is that it is sounding as though things could be a lot worse than first thought. Adam, I sincerely hope that your mare is one of those found there and that she is ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

We are from Germany and have importet horses this year via Marion.

I can only confirm that everything went fine. The QT was great. I have seen it with my own eyes.... everything worked out very fine.

If we will import horses again OASIS would be our choise!

All the best in the hobby,

Matt
Hello, Oasis are not in question, I have had excellant service from Oasis and the horse arrived in lovely condition, only wish I had used them this time.

with kind regards

I would Just like to add a little information to this forum. What has been written on this forum is brave and courageous of people to share stories of abuse neglect and disrespect to these horses..I am sure that most people have a pretty good idea who it is but LET US BE IN NO DOUBT AS TO WHAT IS GOING ON HERE AT SHORT VIEW QUARANTINE IN TEXAS IN THE USA.. unfortunately i was witness to these horses that came into England Prestwick on the last shipment. I was witness to the neglect and abuse.

I have over the last few weeks seen enough pictures and heard enough stories of horses that have been quarantined at the above to give anyone nightmares. if we all just sit back it will continue to happen.

My last import was through oasis and I would highly recommend them and they would always be my choice..my mini came of the plane bright eyed and bushy tailed. everyone who has used Oasis has said he same.

I do not post on the forum often, if I am not qualified to give advice on a subject, I don’t. Here is my… Bla.. Bla.. Bla.. on my experience with exporting.. take what you want… leave the rest….

We have exported since 2004. My answer to the quarantine dilemma is…this.. I now include quarantine in my prices… at the quarantine facility of MY CHOICE. I am the client with the quarantine facility.. they answer to me… I can call and check,, stop in and look.. I am paying for it. When it comes to caring for horses no one does it like mamma… I am telling you.. a big majority of people in this world do not see your little sweethearts as precious little horses… They are no more than livestock like cattle, sheep, horses, pigs.. TRANSPORTING ANIMALS IS JUST ANOTHER WAY TO MAKE A LIVING… In every country there are people who are no responsible to care for horses.. they just want to have them.

When the export horse is sold it does not go to the new owner.. a trucker picks up horse for a 2 day ride to Texas to quarantine who is responsible for their care for the next 45 days.. I have experienced different practices on the care of animals, just from the North to the South in this country. The geographics are like day and night… Northern horses coats are always heavier, horses quarantine in hotter temperatures, I know the heat has a physical effect on their heart rates and respitory, the hay in the south is a different type of grasses, and usually shipped in from other states. The same feed and grains products are not readily available, water is not the same tasting.. the insect problems are year round. The south has fungus issues we have never experienced. What is thought of as good care by some facilities… is what is easy, or ecomonical for them. REMEMBER…..Quarantine is a business and its all about trying to make it affordable for you the buyer. … so where will they cut to make a profit to stay in business.. I suppose they could put more horses in the crates??? I thought 8 was the limit on minis, .

Imagine a foal, its just been weaned, The stress of being shipped 1000 miles being on a trailer for days, going into a warm climate with a full winter coat. Arrives at quarantine, he is now put in a group of other foals(from all over the country) mares, geldings….who ever is in their quarantine group.. The foal has no food that is common to him, no herd companions,. Foals at 4-5 months are struggling to depend on his own immune system, at the same time he is housed with other foals with weakened immune systems. The foal is body clipped which can be a event, to make another trailer ride to airport, spends the night and is crated to be loaded on the plane. I know it is a hassle for food and water in the crates.. I am not sure pails are allowed in crates?? If a groom is attending which they should be , attempting to offer water should be their job…. The foal is arriving at port of entry from 70F in Texas to 30F in Europe Now foal needs to start its journey to its new home.. many buyers do not pick the horse up at import..a trucker is hired to pick up the horse, which could be a cube van, or a truck of some kind with a box on the back.. no featherlites, or air ride transports….. the ride could be 10 hours or more. I do not know if new trucker provides feed??? When he arrives at his new home there could be snow on the ground.. if the buyers are new people they probably do not have a rug.. now that colt is body clipped, even in a rug.. he will struggle to maintain its body temperature… there is no hair on the legs. I would have to wonder at this point… Is he dead yet???

I want to stress again….. … Not all people and countries view horses as pampered pets, Not all countries, have acreage, available feed, fencing, buildings, shelters or knowledge in caring for horses..

I know how fun and exciting is has been to sell international… In our own country I have always checked out buyers history…. but international I am guilty,,,, I never have checked buyers from other countries until recently.. American mini breeders need to take a lesson from dog breeders who make the new buyer fill out a questionaires ….. and ask those questions of new buyers. On the behalf of the animal we need to stop assuming everyone will give care.

International buyers, Once your new horse arrives in import it still has a long journey to its new home… Please buyers.. do not let just any person with a truck take your horse across Europe.. Get references, know who you are trusting with your expensive purchase. …If the seller in America wants you to find your own quarantine and make arrangements.. check with people who have had experiences with export. I mean done it more than once… to your country There are many excellent breeders in Europe now…. who knows….maybe someone will have a horse for you that is already in Europe/Down Under .. This idea that If it is not born in America it is not true AMERICAN HORSE… is not logical thinking.. I know of European breeders that are producing outstanding American Miniature Horses.. whether they were born in America or not. These horse’s parents are registered American. I was born in American, but if asked my nationality I would say…..GERMAN!!!

One last comment on releasing the name of the quarantine that a international buyer feels didnt provide good service... I am happy you have had some positive experience with quarantine... If you feel this facility wronged you…sir, Give these OTHER quarantine names out to everyone you know. Best way to get back at the facility is in their wallet.

THREE QUARANTINE FACILITIES HAVE BEEN GIVEN HIGH RECOMMENDATION ON THIS FORUM TO PASS ON TO BUYERS… USE THESE NAMES, IF AND WHEN SOMEONE BUYS A HORSE FROM YOU… I have been told of disappointments from International buyers before on certain quarantine facilities, but they have placed other horses at the same place again, why?? I see no benefit on giving out this persons name.. I know buyers I would not sell horse to because of their lack of care.. should we post their names too???? Doesnt everyone have the right to know????? C'mon now!!!!! People crave negative attention, don’t feed them…

I also would recommend these same Quarantine Facilities mentioned in the above feeds. Would I guarantee they wont make mistakes.. heck no.. only mamma is the perfect care giver for her own horses, but they have had alot of success stories.. One quarantine is North Texas, one is more South TX , one is North West these names are all you need to pass on to buyers..

Joanne Ross www.scottcreek.com]

Marion Masche www.oasisminis.com

Diane and Terry Nielson www.ez2spotranch.com

I would not want to discourage International buyers, if the quarantine facility is making International buyers afraid to buy, (I understand, its made me afraid of selling) ….we need to work together to fix the problems. Have a Happy Holiday.. Angie/buckonranch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back