quarantine, please take time to read, this problem is GROWING

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The USDA in Texas should be the one notified, and the veterinarian that signed off on the quarantine's shipment should be contacted too. His license is on the line.

Adam, I agree that knowing this information if a buyer wanted me to use this quarantine station I would loose the sale rather than agree to it. My horses mean too much to me.

Someone posted the address of the USDA/APHIS office in Ft Collins. That is the address for the Animal Care branch . Animal Care does not handle import /export of horses. You need to contact USDA/APHIS/Veterinary Services. They would inspect quarantine farms and the approval of international health certificates.

If the horses shipped from Texas then a good place to start is to contact USDA/APHIS/Veterinary Services office in Austin , Texas.

USDA APHIS Veterinary Services

903 San Jacinto

Austin, Texas 78701

512-383-2400

512-383-2411 ( Export )

Elizabeth Pannill, DVM

It has been quite a few years,but When I had three mares quarantined at EZ to spot before they went to Norway,i visited the mares to check on them . All the horses were well fed and in clean stalls with clean water. You should not have to check on your horses in Quarantine facilities, but maybe it is not a bad idea. I know it is not always possible but maybe if facilities had some spot checks by the horse owners they would clean up their act.

Thank you Elizabeth for posting this. I have spent the last half hour trying to find this information to post it. Yea!!!

Is there an email available for them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please PM me the name of the facility as I have a couple that are getting ready for shipment.
default_new_shocked.gif

Is the facility in question also known to have miniatures of their own that they sell?

There are at least two quarantine facilities in TX that breed miniatures that they sell. One of them, Oasis, I have had a very good experience with and have seen their facilities personally. Oasis' facilities are immaculate.

Can someone please PM me with who this is? I, and others, would like to know so we don't use them.

I would also like pm'd who this is as we have had a few international inquiries and want to know where not to let our horses go!!!

What an awful thing. Sounds like there should certainly be more inspections on quarantine facilities.

Would someone please PM me the name of the quarantine facility. I've only sold one horse overseas, but never know when another might go.

Thanks,

Barbie

Could please PM me someone with the name of the bad person?

If the horses are shipped with Oasis, did they arrive in great condition or are they exhausted because of the flight? We are seriously thinking of importing a mare I felt in love with 6 months ago but I wouldn't ike to let her suffer just because of importing her...

As an overseas buyer I know who nervous one can get over quarantine. You search a long time for that horses. Once you have found and you come to an agreement with the breeder you are already madly in love with that tiny horses you mostly have never seen in real. It comes all down to trust. And the one person you should trust the most is your quarantine station. We always use the station of Marion Maschke, Oasis. And i have to say, yes there are very good quarantine stations. Mrs Maschke always took very good care of our horses. With her German precision she does exactly what you want, providing a good and save house for a month. Preparing the horses for a long travel. Our horses were never exhousted. The come out relaxed because they are well taken care of and in comfortable crates. It's is a good thing that we trust her so much with our horses that if she would ever advise me to not make a particular horse fligh i would imidiatly go with her advise. To be honest, if we had to buy a horses and it good not go to a quarantine like marion's the purchase would be off. We like to have a lot of pictures from the horses when they are in quarantine. And it is always great when we receive them. Maybe it wood be good to mention the name of realy bad stations, that way they will put them selves out of busines.

Could someone pm me with the name of the company. I thought I had it narrowed down, but now I am not sure. I have lots of mini friends who do not read these forums and would need this info.

Thank all of you who have mentioned the one who give great service. That is very helpfull also.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first oversea shipment was bad. The was sent in great condition, horse landed in LUX with a viral infection, and a TON of lice, and completely sick.

I almost didn't want to leave the horse there seeing the minis. I will not being using them ever again. And I bet its the same shipment because my horse was shipped with minis!! It landed on november 17th in Lux.

We all tried calling the owner of the quarantine with no answer, called Austin. To report a quarantine case I have the email of the lady that works for the state that handles quarantine problems. She has been helpful. PM my for the ladies email. They are looking into the quarantine facilty.

Please PM me if you have any questions.

thank you

I 'am from Belgium and has imported several horses this year and in the past . I'am always used Oasisminiatures . NEVER had problemes with Marion . She always mails me when the horses arrived at her place directly. She send me always pictures of the horses She do the paperwork of AMHA and AMHR ,so you received the AMHA and AMHR papers home on your name so they can't be lost.She always mails me to aske me if she must clip the horse or not.The horses always arrived clean and in good condition . My last

import was on 5 november 2011. Bought the horse on 1 september 2011 The shipper piched her up on 17 september2011 Horse was at Oasisminiatures on 17 September 2011 and on 5 november the horse was home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back