quarantine, please take time to read, this problem is GROWING

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WJS

Reaction score
As a European buyer I have spent time researching my prospective buys, I have enjoyed looking at horses pedigrees, endless searches for show history, pictures and eventually I find the right horse, I ask all the normal questions you would expect, ask for video footage, enjoy making new friendships across the pond.

In 95 % of the cases I have been given correct information about height and pregnancies and have been delighted once the horse arrives in the UK.

The Breeder as I understand it, developes a breeding program over time, spends time promoting their stock, nurtures their foals, invests large amounts of love, time & money to raise their stock for sale, they video, take endless pictures, measure, scan etc, etc. Times are hard for the Best of breeders so when eventually they make a sale they care delighted knowing they have done their utmost.

The Horse is collected by transporter and shipped off to quarantine, so you would think all is well...BUT WHAT HAPPENS IN QUARANTINE!

a shipment of your beautiful miniatures arrived here recently, 10 in a crate, two colts were partitioned off, they were wedged in, no room to turn, one behind the other, no water or empty bucket. the remaining 8 were mainly weanlings, except one ASPC mare which was tied for the journey with no access to water, there was only one empty bucket in the container, a 9 hour flight as I understand it.

I helped as the horses were unloaded, 4 had serious conjuctivitis in both eyes, all crusted up and weeping, the remaining 6 has watery eyes.

one was in a terrible condition, I could put my fingers between her vertebra and ribs, a weanling that not 6 weeks before had won at AMHR nationals. My horse was in an incredibly poor condition, ribs & spine visible, I could not believe this was the beautiful horse I has purchased, I had seen pictures of her departure from the breeder, she looked incredible.... I was heart broken. 4 others were in a similar condition.

The Airport Vet reccomended that all horses be taken to vets immediately.

At this point I will add, I have had amazing service from several other Quarantine stations before, I only wish I had gone to them this time.

I emailed the Quarantine station immediately, to date I have had NO reply, nor may I add has anyone else.

So, I ask you, do I name and shame? what can we do, when we all do are best to buy and sell beautiful horses only to be let down by one person, huge amounts of money has been invested by all parties, shipping and taxes can be the best part of $3500 and more.

I for one would be very reluctant to buy again from the States.... and I have numerous other complaints from all over Europe with the same tale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heart breaking situation.

Sorry to hear this has happened.

I have had a few wanting my pups to go by air, and being so so tiny at 8 weeks old...

Just tell them sorry would never take a chance on the puppy arriving alive.

So I am not surprised with miniature horses, not being looked after properly.

I would be so afraid when they have to stay where ever for their quarantine, I would never send one

of my precious minis in a situation unknown.

I would also hesitate to do a repeat, sure hope they all survive and get back to good health.
default_no.gif
:No-Sad
default_no.gif

It is amazing that within only 9 hours this has all come about.

If the horses are that bad in 9 hours does not make sense.

and if they where in this condition before loading from Quarantine, Why why why where they allowed to ship them still

OMG this is awful! It doesn't seem to be the breeders fault, but I would contact them and find out about the quarenteen facility that was used. 9 hours of travel wouldn't have cause this, it must have been done in the facility. How awful, and yes it makes us look bad! Hope the horse recover, bless them.

Reble, this did not happen in 9 hours. They must go to a quarantine station in the US for 30 days(I think??) and then are shipped overseas. The point the OP is making, is that the quarantine station was apparently negligent in providing proper care for these horses while in their care,
default_no.gif

Mona is correct -- poor care at quarantine would be suspect, not the 9 hr trip. It is my understanding that these facilities are State monitored, possibly Federally, also.

IMO I would report the situation (pictures & witness info provided) to the State Vet from where they originated out of quarantine. I'd alert all sellers, to allow them to complain, also.

Years back I shipped 3 to New Zealand. They had to leave VA, go to CA, quarantine, then to New Z, where I think they were again quarantined before buyer could pick up. All arrived in good condition, etc.

These things should NOT happen and needs to be reported ASAP for investigation and correction.

As a side note, every horse that I shipped to any buyer was photographed at loading, there was a statement for the shipper to sign that the animal was not cut, injured to sight, not limping, etc. I took photos of their rig and inside. Never had an issue with buyer or the shipper!
default_smile.png

This is absolutely unacceptable! I think we should know which quarantine service in order to avoid using them. I sold a bred mare to a wonderful man in Belgium and the horse was in great shape. I received photos of her during her 30 day quarantine and also photos when she arrived at her new home. I'm sorry that you and others had such a rotten experience. I would be most interested in finding out which quarantine these horses were at. As a breeder, I want nothing but the best for my horses and clients.

Living in the UK, I had already heard reports of this plane load of horses, but not where they came from. It is really awful that this happened and the problems must have started with the quarantine centre, although allowing animals to then travel on a 9 hour flight cant have helped their condition on arrival.

When we imported Dragon several years ago, he actually spent longer at quarantine than normal as he had to wait for a full shipment to be collected and quarantined. He was fine and arrived in good condition (amazing as we now know what a worrywart he can be!) But he did travel in his compartment with another colt and arrived with little bite marks all over his neck. He was also totally ehausted, so I can well imagine how the horses referred to here must have felt. Dragon arrived in bad, very stormy weather and the pilot had quite a job to get the plane down at the airport - was actually coming in sideways and at quite an angle, not good for the animals inside. Why do they allow flights to head this way when the weather forecasts are so bad??

Dragon was so shattered that when we stopped for a meal a short way from the airport and we moved him from his travelling compartment in our lorry into the rear large compartment (deeply bedded in straw) giving him some wet hay and a half bucket of water, he had a drink, laid down flat out and slept for nearly 2 hours, bless him. We waited patiently for him to wake up before continuing the journey. But what about those that get unloaded from the planes, then shortly afterward loaded up again into trailers and lorries to do another 4, 5, or 6 hours of travelling before they get to their new homes and can have a rest? A nine hour flight it just the start of the journey for most of them. I feel very sorry for any weaned foals and even most early yearlings who have to make the journey across the 'pond', most animals need to be in tip top condition and pretty fit to undertake the trip and not get 'knocked for six' by it.

I hope you successfully get the authorities to deal with whoever was to blame for the state of those horses.

Unfortunately naming names can get you sued. I guess I would be willing to "name names" if someone asks specifically, in a private message or e-mail.

How horrible for these poor horses. I agree it didn't happen during the flight, but this is a case of the facility not taking proper care of the animals in their care.

I'm so sorry this happened and I feel dreadful for the poor horses! I agree with the advice of pictures and written reports provided to the state vet responsible in the originating state. Also, while agree they didn't get in that poor condition in just 9 hours I do feel like they should have had access to water on the trip. A horse without water for 9+ hours and in a stressful sitation is a recipe for disaster. And in their already compromised condition I think it would have been made worse.

I do think this information should be made public and I agree it's not slander if it's true. However I don't know if it's necessary to name names on this forum. What I have personally done in the past when I've had a horrible situation with a transporter or boarding facility, etc., is to explain it in detail on my website and to also contact all I know who may also have had horses with these services. I did have one man contact me and threaten to sue me and I told him to feel free. I never heard another word from him. He knew the info was true. In addition, when people post on here asking for suggestions of haulers, etc., I PM them and let them know that I personally won't use XYZ company again and why. Like you, I have pictures to support my claim.

I hope your horse and all the others recover and suffer no long-term issues. So sad.

I get occasional inquiries from Europe and am sometimes asked which quarantine facility I recommend. What I find ironic is that I will specifically recommend one quarantine facility to a potential buyer and then have them tell me that they want to use a facility that I know has had problems (one I never mentioned as recommended).

So, people, if you ask me who I recommend and I don't mention a particular facility - it's because I don't recommend them.

As you can see, Picture of my mare just before leaving for quarantine and a picture of her apon arrival.

she does have a winter coat but you can also see the condition of her including her spine protruding.

Can any one tell me who I would contact regarding reporting this to governing bodies?

This mare was my ninth import, I was delighted with the care, service and information I have received from the horse breeder and I would not hesitate in buying from them again, it is what happens after they leave that i have serious issues with.

376625_2693621739268_1218284935_33225299_1112846343_n1.jpg

(pictures do not want to load in the right order)

P13601071.jpg

As you can see, Picture of my mare just before leaving for quarantine and a picture of her apon arrival.

she does have a winter coat but you can also see the condition of her including her spine protruding.

Can any one tell me who I would contact regarding reporting this to governing bodies?

This mare was my ninth import, I was delighted with the care, service and information I have received from the horse breeder and I would not hesitate in buying from them again, it is what happens after they leave that i have serious issues with.

View attachment 4905

(pictures do not want to load in the right order)
I would report first of all to the sellers. I'm sure they would want to know, and they would probably know who to report to from there.

I would also like to know which transport company it was. Please either PM me the name or email me at the address in my signature.

I would report first of all to the sellers. I'm sure they would want to know, and they would probably know who to report to from there.

I would also like to know which transport company it was. Please either PM me the name or email me at the address in my signature.
I have informed the sellers and they are as devastated as I am.

I would think a complaint to the US department that regulates them as a quarantine facility would be a good start, and I would personally like to know who they are so I never use them. I don't export frequently, but when I have my horses have been well cared for and arrived in good shape. I always worry and stress, will the new owner like them, be happy, etc, etc, will the horse travel ok.

I only flew one of our horses one time to the AMHA World show in Reno and won't do that ever again. We drove the trailer out and Commodity flew. Poor guy was so exhausted that he slept for two days solid. At least he had enough time to recover as he went on to win Single Pleasure Driving Geldings as well as several top tens but lesson learned, we hauled from then on. He rode great on the trip home. He would lie down and rest, as a matter of fact on one stop when I fed him, he was down and sternal and ate his grain from that position. He came off the trailer after 40+ hours straight bucking and prancing and full of beans, and had gained weight.

Those horses not getting water on that flight was terrible, I am betting no hay either? It's a wonder they didn't colic from stress and dehydration!

I think most people in the UK and Europe have heard about this shipment now, and I sincerely hope that no one would consider using that facility again. This same facility brought 10 horses in to Europe last year ( from the Texas heat to November in the Uk) all were clipped out and none were rugged. On arrival at their destination they were unloaded and left. Potential UK buyers and other people at the facility had to raid their lorries/trailers and stables to find enough blankets to keep them warm on one of the coldest nights of the year. $$$ on legs is all they were seen as. Fortunately they all found good homes and are now happy, healthy little minis.

I have a good idea who it is but if someone could PM me I would like the info. I keep a list of DO NOT USE.
default_yes.gif

I have flown round Europe several times with horses when I was a groom and I can assure you it is not pleasant. The horses are cramed in and there is no room to move. I lived, ate and slept with these horse so they knew me well. To get to each horse I would have to craw under their tummies. Giving small amounts of hay and water as often as i could was exhausting. The worst thing was the noise, it was deafening! I can't imagine what it must have been like for these poor horses as they were obviously in no condition to fly.

Please try your best to report the people responsible so no other horses must suffer.

The BIG problem is that if an airport worker refuses to load they tend to get fired. We had one just recently that refused to load a dog. The dog spent 4 days at the vet before they sent him on to TX. The agent did get her job back. But it took a month. I know a lot of animals are shipped that are in bad condition. I know a woman that bought a dog that was skin and bone, matted, filthy and his entire mouth was infected. He smelled so bad she had to drive in the snow for 2 hours home with the windows open. The difference is that he came from the breeder like that. But, weather it is from the breeder or from quarantine, the airport should NEVER load an animal on an airplane in poor condition. Also, the vets that sign off on these animals should be held accountable.

So sorry to hear about your mare, and the other horses. This is unnacceptable and I agree with reporting them.

Marylou, did that transporter happen to drive a white six horse trailer? Sounds like a hauler I used in the past, down to the door being tied shut. My horse ended up being hauled to the opposite side of the country from me, to pick up other horses, before being brought back and delivered. What was supposed to be a short trip ended up being three days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back