quarantine, please take time to read, this problem is GROWING

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know as well who did the quarantine. There are several facilities in Texas, the ones I have used have maintained the horses in good condition to the best of my knowledge but this one obviously did not. As someone said, it's not unusual for them to stay in quarantine much longer than 30 days waiting for a full load to ship out.

Mary Lou & mydaddysjag....familiar story. My boarder moved to Arizona a couple of years ago with her two horses. I arranged shipping for her & met the hauler, who was told NO HAY for one gelding as he was a colic risk. When he opened the trailer, there was an entire flake of hay on the floor. She removed it, but over the course of the 5 days it took to get from south Texas to Arizona (via north Texas, Colorado, Utah...) he colicked badly. Was given bute along the way, came off the trailer in Phoenix and had to be put down. I'm sure he ate hay along the way. I had good referrals on this hauler and had used them once before, but never again.

Jan

Is there any way that you could find someone here to work with and have someone go check out this quarantine facility? It sounds horrible. I am willing to bet it is probably filthy, with poor living conditions and bet your's are not the only ones to go through there and end up like this. Someone needs to find a way to file a formal complaint and shut this place down or expose them enough that they will be closed.

Can you PM me with who this is, as I also have lists of people I do not buy from, sell to, or use for other things, such as hauling, etc...

Reading all this makes me deciding that I rather never let a horse fly from the US to Europe...

I think I would rather get frozen semen or embryos shipped than an "actual" horse. For me as a breeder I would refuse to sell a horse to Europe and I would try to ET. I believe that it would be much cheaper than importing horses.

This makes me SO mad. I will vent my "quarantine" horror story as well. I bought a mare, had her bred, and was to be delivered to me at the World Show in 2010. The horse was at a quarantine facility in Texas (my guess is the same one based on the condition of the animals) and was to be brought to me (3 DAYS!!!!) later. We are not at 14 months later - still no horse. The quarantine facility doesn't seem to know anything about the mare (or her foal) or the need to ship her to me. Won't respond to phone calls or emails. I have asked several of her "friends" who say there are piles of dead animals around the farm, so they're not even sure my mare or foal are still alive. The unfortunate thing, this "AMHA approved quarantine facility" advertises regularly and seems to draw on overseas buyers who don't know the truth. One of my long-time friends used this same facility when they dispersed their herd - several animals were sold overseas to a GREAT buyer. Only when the animals arrive did we find out that the quarantine facility had SWITCHED the animals. I can't post her name online, but please PM me.

If you are an international buyer, please do not let this discourage you. I know of a couple of REALLY GREAT responsible horse owners themselves and I wouldn't hesitate to ship with them.

This makes me SO mad. I will vent my "quarantine" horror story as well. I bought a mare, had her bred, and was to be delivered to me at the World Show in 2010. The horse was at a quarantine facility in Texas (my guess is the same one based on the condition of the animals) and was to be brought to me (3 DAYS!!!!) later. We are not at 14 months later - still no horse. The quarantine facility doesn't seem to know anything about the mare (or her foal) or the need to ship her to me. Won't respond to phone calls or emails. I have asked several of her "friends" who say there are piles of dead animals around the farm, so they're not even sure my mare or foal are still alive. The unfortunate thing, this "AMHA approved quarantine facility" advertises regularly and seems to draw on overseas buyers who don't know the truth. One of my long-time friends used this same facility when they dispersed their herd - several animals were sold overseas to a GREAT buyer. Only when the animals arrive did we find out that the quarantine facility had SWITCHED the animals. I can't post her name online, but please PM me.

If you are an international buyer, please do not let this discourage you. I know of a couple of REALLY GREAT responsible horse owners themselves and I wouldn't hesitate to ship with them.
I CERTAINLY HOPE that the reason you cannot post the name of this Facility here, is because there are criminal charges with a hearing pending?? If not, I would ask WHY NOT? Personally, I wouldn't, 14 MONTHS LATER, be asking her friends, I would have the Sheriff and/or my Lawyer with me as I knocked at her door directly. To allow this to continue, especially with our registry sending more people to her door, is not helping anyone, and how many horses are dying there?

Reading all this makes me deciding that I rather never let a horse fly from the US to Europe...

I think I would rather get frozen semen or embryos shipped than an "actual" horse. For me as a breeder I would refuse to sell a horse to Europe and I would try to ET. I believe that it would be much cheaper than importing horses.
Stallion semen still does not freeze well, and the time it takes to ship pretty much precludes cooled semen.

I know that by the time the Arab semen arrived from Europe to England we had a window of about two hours, what with the mare's fertility and the cooled semen's viability. So I don't really think that bringing in semen form the US would be feasible.

I would love to hear that it was, and that someone had done it.......

Last edited by a moderator:
This is horrible!!! Can someone confirm this is the same facility?

If it is AMHA approved, then certainly AMHA has a responsibility to check it out. If this place is still in business it is a shame! If no one has the power to get it shut down, someone should just call PETA. They have power!

Someone could call the animal control facility in the county where they are housed.

I CERTAINLY HOPE that the reason you cannot post the name of this Facility here, is because there are criminal charges with a hearing pending?? If not, I would ask WHY NOT? Personally, I wouldn't, 14 MONTHS LATER, be asking her friends, I would have the Sheriff and/or my Lawyer with me as I knocked at her door directly. To allow this to continue, especially with our registry sending more people to her door, is not helping anyone, and how many horses are dying there?
Yes, there are legal proceedings. Unfortunately, in Texas - this is a CIVIL matter as there are contracts. If she STOLE the animal, then the Sheriff could get involved. She doesn't respond to any of the correspondence (either myself or my representative), so she has the system by the horns. We have called the USDA to ask for an investigation - if they find her facility "not meeting their standards" then they can close it down, but getting them out is like an act of congress as they are SO busy.

The AMHA is well aware of this. I have contacted them several times - I have the mares' papers on a "CALL" status in case she would try to get them. It sounds like she may have tried to register the baby, but the AMHA returned them to her as "unable to process" from what I was told. The AMHA, based on what they have told me, "does not endorse or support one business over another, nor do they investigate any business (breeder, trainer or other) that chooses to advertise. Also, if you pay a corporate sponsor fee, then you are considered an AMHA sponsored business."

So is there anything "illegal" about posting anywhere like this??? " I personally would never use these Facilities, XXXX, XXXX, XXXX, because I was not happy with the services they provided either to me or someone else."? I dont see how that could be considered slander because that would just be stating how you felt... not actually accusing them of anything in particular. Right?
default_unsure.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know the legal impositions, but I will not publicly slander another person. I will, however, give my opinion to my friends to prevent them from being hurt as well. What IS interesting - EVERY SINGLE PERSON who either PM'ed me or sent me an email (of which there were A LOT) all asked if it was "XXXXXXX" without me mentioning the name. EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO RESPONDED SAID THE SAME PERSON!!!!!

Hmmmmm ok I guess I understand.
default_no.gif
Anyway could someone please send me a PM and let me know their PERSONAL OPINION of who they would not use? Please. I would appreciate it very much. Thank You.

OK. I will tell you all who it isn't. We personally have used E Z 2 Spot Ranch, Oasis and Scott Creek for importing horses in to the UK and have been satisfied with all of them. Diane & Terry at E Z 2 are very good to work with and keep in touch with you at all times, as does Joanne at Scott Creek. Our horses all arrived looking well. Clean, groomed and with all feet in good order. I would recommend any of them.So far we have brought in six from various states and have been happy with all of them.We would definately import again if ( no, make that when lol) we find something else that we would like to add to our herd, and depending on where it is based, would use any of these named centres again.

OK. I will tell you all who it isn't. We personally have used E Z 2 Spot Ranch, Oasis and Scott Creek for importing horses in to the UK and have been satisfied with all of them. Diane & Terry at E Z 2 are very good to work with and keep in touch with you at all times, as does Joanne at Scott Creek. Our horses all arrived looking well. Clean, groomed and with all feet in good order. I would recommend any of them.So far we have brought in six from various states and have been happy with all of them.We would definately import again if ( no, make that when lol) we find something else that we would like to add to our herd, and depending on where it is based, would use any of these named centres again.
Well said.

As a breeder that has shipped horses to both Europe and Australia over the last 19 years, including to both locations within the last year, I read all these posts with great interest. One of my foals is due to clear quarantine in Australia this week. I appreciate your bringing this problem to all of our attention.

Whether shipping within the US or overseas we have searched for both transporters as well as quarantine stations that take excellent care of our minis. I always seek out information on how my horse looks on arrival from the new owner. I am also always in contact with both the transporter as well as the quarantine station until they are at their new home. I do not feel my responsibility stops when they are put on a transport.

Excellent communication is important throughout the process. I keep my client informed if I hear anything and hope and encourage them to do the same. These are live animals and they are precious to me. My horses have been bred and birthed here and I have a personal love with them.

Like other breeders have mentioned, sometimes our clients have a preference of who they want to use, and though we may offer an opinion, we have to agree to their wishes. Having said that I make it clear to my clients that if the transport they choose arrives and is an unsafe rust bucket, I will not be loading my horse onto that transport. Same goes if the driver appears to have any problems.

Quarantine station charge a significant amount of money which adds greatly to my clients purchase price. I expect that I will be able to be in contact with that facility and that they will respond. I also make myself available to them should they have any questions about my horse day or night. They have both my landline and my cell number before the horse arrives at their facility and I expect the same from them in return.

It is vital that all of us know which facility is a problem so that we all know to avoid them. As you are reluctant to publically post their name, I hope you will PM me. The other two facilities in Texas (EZ 2 Spot and Oasis), I have either used or came with great references. Joanne at Scott Creek in Oregon we have used very successfully too.

It is important that not all quarantine facilities in Texas take the hit for the bad facility, and that we know which one we will not send our horses to and can help the new international owners make the right choice to intrust their horses to.

Like other breeders have mentioned, sometimes our clients have a preference of who they want to use, and though we may offer an opinion, we have to agree to their wishes. Having said that I make it clear to my clients that if the transport they choose arrives and is an unsafe rust bucket, I will not be loading my horse onto that transport. Same goes if the driver appears to have any problems.
Joanne -

I used to think this way as well. Now, after this horrible experience, I do NOT. There are simply people that I will not allow MY horses to travel with or be handled by. If that costs me a sale, then so be it. Only I can act in my animals best interest and speak for them. The cheapest alternative is often the most costly in many ways - this one may well have cost my mare her life. My only wish is that for the 27 people who have contacted me (and ALL named the same person), you share your experience so that we can prevent other needless harm to animals. Only then can we END this persons destructive nature and put the business back in the hands of people who REALLY care about the animals.

I am adding the contact information for the USDA. If you have had a bad experience, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE contact them.

Mailing Address:

USDA/APHIS/AC

2150 Centre Ave.

Building B, Mailstop 3W11

Fort Collins, CO 80526-8117

E-mail: [email protected]

Phone: (970) 494-7478

Fax: (970) 494-7461

Living here in TX, I am familiar with most of the quarantine facilities. I highly recommend Oasis, from personal experience. I would also recommend EZ 2 Spot from references I've received. Period.

Now, y'all can read between the lines,
default_wink.png

Someone, please email me the facility. We haven't shipped anyone overseas but sure don't want to make that mistake.

Our Vet is now a quarantine station, but just recently.

Where can I find a list of quarantine stations in texas. Im sure that with that list, I can read between the lines without anyone needing to name anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back