Progression in training-First trimming and more

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

circlesinthesand

Reaction score
Mosely and Cowboy got their first trim this morning! Last night was the first time I picked up feet and felt they were ready to stand for a trimming so Dad was ready this morning before the heat gets too bad :D What a hoot! lol! My poor dad! He might have been better off on his knees! This is not the first mini he does but it's the first time I am the 'horse holder' for a mini who has never had his feet trimmed. I've held a few older mini mares who didn't tie well when I would ride with him but that experience just wasn't the same. Over all it went really well. Very nicely considering the were untouched a week ago.

I have been so pleased with them. Both are now halter broke and leading really well! And now they are standing fairly nicely for a farrier (still need a little work on the back legs, they fought a tiny bit) are walking over 'obstacles', are fine around the big horses and dogs (one of which I think thought they were dogs! lol he kept trying to sniff their butt!) I've started their tying training and it's going well. I've also started longeing them at a walk. I need to do some measurement to get a bit and bridle, to get them started for ground driving. I also need to start working on a few other things but they can be touched and groomed everywhere and aren't heading for the hills when they see me anymore :D I can walk right up to them and halter with no problems which makes me happy! Very nice for only a weeks worth of work :D

For me it depends on the horse and what I'm doing. Loving up on them and giving scritches? you can never really do enough of that and sometimes it's hours :p Every touch desenthisizes them to me and my movements and teaches them that being touched is a good thing.The rest depends on the lesson and what you want to accomplish. I tend to break things up into very small accomplishments and quit on good notes everyday. Usually short sessions for a baby, approach and retreat, let them think on things for a bit. They need time to process. I find that doing things this way gets more accomplished in a shorter over all time frame. If you overwhelm them they don't know what to think about later when you're not around.

You want to pick battles you know you can win. I push a little each day then back up and find their comfort zone then push it a little more until they're comfy with what I'm trying to accomplish. I've done so many horses that I really can't put a time frame or even structure it out into specific lessons. The horse usually tells you what he's ready for and especially what he's not ready for. Each horse is different and even working two untouched colts at the same time will not follow the same guidelines. Mosely gave a bigger fight and has more spook but he's the one that gets over things quicker. Cowboy had less fight and spook in him but he's slower to learn...neither is a bad thing, they're just different. Both are going to be very nice when all is said and done.

Latest posts

Back