Please give me opinions, As Buyers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Songcatcher, Becky, and Jean B.

I PQ every foal I register, bred here or not. If I get a foal who's DNA does not match its parents, someone is going to hear about it.
Starting this year, it is no longer an option. All foals DNAed from parents who are DNAed will AUTOMATICALLY be PQed. No one is perfect, but some people and some registries are making steps in the right direction and some are not.
Breeding and registering properly are not for the faint-hearted. I feel that if you are a responsible breeder you're going to follow the requirements of each registry, and AMHA has taken steps to insure accuracy in their records as much as possible. Oh, and not being faint-hearted means that you also have to come up with the funds!

Over a third of my herd is in the 34 to 38" range, and I LIKE them that size, so for me, AMHR all the way. :bgrin I've hardshipped horses into AMHA that are under 34", and bought and bred horses that are AMHA/AMHR, so I do have both, but since I love my "taller" minis, with AMHR I can have and show both "over" and "under" minis in one registry.

In this area, the AMHA shows didn't do very well, and now there are very few, if any, around here anymore.

A big reason for this is because the great majority of people in this area are into the "B's". We are very performance-oriented but also put a lot of emphasis on halter quality as well.

As others have said, I'm going to buy, show, and breed what *I* like.
default_wub.png
: My AMHR-only horses have sold just fine.

[SIZE=14pt]I prefer R not because of market value but for the foaling value. EASIER then the bitsys... BUT saying this I DO have 2 A/R mares.... ones a bitsy, I also know her foaling history and am ok with her foaling. I would only be picky on my breeding stud and therefor want a A/R stud (BECAUSE OF HAVING 2 A MARES.) Mares.... If I like what I see Ill get it. Regardless of it being an A. I WILL NOT search out an A ONLY mare.[/SIZE]

I too think that A is too high on their fees. And each year I tell myself Im not getting any more and what do I do..... get another. Hate messing with their paper work.

April

I think that Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis brought out some good points with her comparison of prices between AMHA and AMHR!

I know that one of the things that really frustrated Marnie was this:

(Stallion reports

AMHA- 10.00

If late- 25.00 + 10.00 per mare

AMHR-no fee late charge)

Especially because she was having to pay for 2 mares to be added as "late", one of the mares aborted her foal so logically Marnie should have only had to pay for the one mare but the office said she still had to pay for putting both of them on the stallion report - doesn't make sense to me!!!

My family and I just wrestled with this same decision recently on a little filly we are buying. She is AMHR only, and we had been trying to buy our mares AMHA/AMHR. We decided to buy the horse not the papers. I have to have AMHR, since we show AMHR only, I do keep all the papers current on a horse, and will hardship into AMHR. I would not ever not buy a horse just because it is AMHA only. In January we bought a mare that is AMHA only and are in the process of hardshipping her into AMHR since she is on our show string for 2006. Therefore all of our horses are AMHR (or soon will be :bgrin ) and some are dual registered with AMHA. I have two stallions that are AMHR only (one may be hardshipped into AMHA if he stays under, and if he shows well this year), the other one will not be. We also have a stallion that is AMHA/AMHR. It all just makes filling out the stallion reports at the end of the year alot of fun!
default_wacko.png
:

We ah ve mostly double registered AMHA/AMHR horses. We show only AMHR so if I buy a horse with only one registration it has to be AMHR. We used to buy AMHA horses & bring them over to AMHR -- but that is no longer inexpensive -- so If it is AMHA only I will not be AS interested in it as I once was. I think more of the AMHA only owners will have to start double registering their stock to appeal to both types of buyers.

Even after Lisa--Ruff N Tuffs post comparing the prices of AMHA and AMHR side by side, I STILL see people talking about how expensive AMHA is. Are you not reading the thread before posting?????? So AMHA penalizes you for making mistakes on your paperwork--they should! Having to deal with incorrect paperwork takes up time that they could be spending on someone else's correct paperwork, and how many of you on here complain about how long it takes to get something back from AMHA? As for the "hassles" of dealing with AMHA, have any of you dealt with big horse registries? I commend AMHA for modeling themselves after the big horse registries! :aktion033:

I have little respect for AMHR, as the registry makes so many mistakes. Yes, I KNOW these mistakes are made by AMHR, and NOT me. When I send in a registration application that is filled out with the correct sire and dam, and get the papers back with the wrong parentage, things spelled wrong, wrong DOBs, wrong color and/or markings, etc and I have an exact copy of what I sent in showing that I wasn't the one that made the mistakes, it makes me wonder! I even sent in a 15 year old stallion's permanent papers to get him changed to gelding, and I got back TEMPORARY papers on him! :new_shocked: Every time I call to ask a question, they keep telling me to go to the website and look it up. Well you know what, some people don't have interent access! Sometimes computers go down, sometimes the internet server goes down, etc. Sometimes things aren't clear on the website. And we all know how often AMHR's website goes down. And what about all of the mistakes I see mentioned on here all the time about the year-end points? Sorry, I don't remember what they are called right now.

I won't look at an R only horse. Any horse I buy must be AMHA registered, and if it isn't also R registered, then I have it done. I prefer double-registered horses, but they MUST have AMHA papers.

Flame away!

I just wanted to say in addition to what I said earlier that for me personally it is not the 'money' issue that is a problem for me with the AMHA. There were other issues. I can't say I love the way AMHA nickles and dimes you to death, and yes, IMO they do, but that is not the problem. I'd say that things can, and definately do go wrong in both registeries, but when they go wrong in 'a' they go SERIOUSLY wrong. And in both of the cases I had last year it was NOT because of delayed paperwork.

Horses: Rich man's hobby?
You are right Marty!,
default_yes.gif
:

I remember, my first horse, someone told us, you will always be broke.

But, just such a loving hobby.
default_shutup.gif
:

:saludando:

I've always considered my horses "cheap therapy". :bgrin

I dont have a mini ( yet anyway.. hehe) , so dont know which registry I prefer, but are there both "A" and "R" shows in Ohio, or mainly just one registry's shows, how about open mini shows for both registrys to show at?

My preference would always be double-registered AMHA/AMHR, which is what all but one of the horses I currently own are. However, that said, I would buy an AMHA only horse and register it into AMHR. Don't even LOOK at AMHR only horses. Reason?--the fee for hardshipping R into A is prohibitve, whereas the expense for A into R is "do-able". As far as I have been able to see, that is the ONLY place where AMHA's fees are appreciably higher than AMHR's. If we had AMHA activities here in Central Illinois, that would be my flat-out choice registry, but where I'm located, R is the only act it town. Come on all you people that complain about AMHA's high fees, show me a significant difference in ANYTHING other than the hardshipping fee, and PLEASE don't mention the DNA testing requirements, that is something that SHOULD be required by all registrys. I would suggest we all stop complaining about one registry or the other and just act on our own feelings privately. In other words, if you don't like it, get out of Dodge, but keep it to yourself!

Ginia, you gave me the biggest chuckle today. Thank you!!

Your post stated the feelings of many folks I know, including yours truly.

Great post.

:saludando:

Tommy

Lyn, sorry your horse won't be the first shetland. I know Laura Tennill has an AWSOME stallion that she hardshipped in and showed last year, just gorgeous!

Kay, I will try to help you with your problems with paperwork, just let me know.

All, again, what is the hassle? as I stated earlier, mag comes with AMHR, ya know!

Also, I hear AMHR is finally going to start using photos in 2007, with the added expense, their fees may rise as well.

As a director, I would sincerely like to hear from you, what your problems with AMHA really are, so we can try to fix things if we are at fault.

The only problem that I have had with AMHA is the time period on the DNA. I sent the DNA paperwork in on a filly in January and still don't have the results. I had planned to show this filly this year but have NO papers on her yet.

Mary

My horses MUST be at least R registered. A is a bonus. I won't buy a AMHA only horse anymore. I have two that I bought last year, and haven't been able to register them R yet (no fundage). But they will.

I find that the AMHA shows are FAR more expensive. Especially Worlds conpared to Nationals.

Now, if AMHA would open the registery to the B sized horses, that could be a different story.... I LOVE the bigger horses!

Lucy

I only buy AMHA or A/R double registered. In my area AMHA is the most popular and I don't find the A registery any more expensive than the R registery but everyone has their own opinions.

Joyce

$50 just to make a stallion's papers from temporary to pernament! :new_shocked: Sorry but thats outrageous to me
default_wacko.png
:

Besides that, here's the way I look at it. If anyone wants double registered horses, but like a horse thats registered into a single registry, I would defintelly look into buying AMHA horses and hardship them into AMHR. AMHR is a whole lot cheaper.

Now for me I only see AMHA registered a plus. I only have 3 horses AMHA/AMHR (2 stallions, 1 gelding) the rest are AMHR. The only time I bought an AMHA only horse is when hardshipping to AMHR with AMHA papers were a whole lot cheaper back then. I think anymore unless its an awsome AMHA horse, I will be only buying AMHR horses from now on thank you.

Now as an AMHR breeder I would like to buy some horses that are AMHR/ASPC registered. Thats the market I would like to be more involved in. Maybe in the future, if I buy any more mares.

Now I do plan on hardshipping my filly once she's 5 if she is going to mature like I think she will. She is looking awsome as a yearling. If AMHA had shows around my area I defintelly want to show my AMHA gelding and stallion there, but there aren't. Perhaps thats why I just don't care for AMHA. Their is a club in my state, but I guess they aren't having any shows this year. I would have gone to the one last year if it didn't fall on a AMHR show that same weekend
default_yes.gif
:

The answer is YES AMHA horses are important to me. All of our stock is currently AMHA registered; we are also registering some of them with AMHR as well. We are finding more AMHR shows in our area to attend so it makes it worth while. I also love AMHA and the competitive competition it offers and wouldn't purchase an R only horse as it wouldn't fit into our breeding program.

Dawn :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that AMHA's fees are unreasonable at all, especially keeping in mind that they are a very professional organization--in my experience they rarely make mistakes, and when they do, they are very easy to deal with.

Regarding the fees for bringing a horse from temporary to permanant, I don't think that $50.00 for a stallion is much at all. There are WAY too many stallions in our breed, and most are quite inferior. In fact, I think that $50.00 is way too cheap. The fee should be raised to 3 or 4 times that, because if it cost more to bring a stallion permanant than it would cost to geld him, then maybe people would think twice about leaving mediocre stallions intact. Raising this fee substantially would certainly promote the gelding of horses that are not top stallion quality, since the fee for bringing a gelding's papers permanant is only $10 (and maybe it should be free to encourage gelding even more).

If someone has a stallion that is worth being a stallion, then the fee for bringing its papers permanant shouldn't be a deterence at all, even if it is a couple hundred dollars. If someone thinks that 50 bucks is too much to pay for the right to have a permanantly registered stallion, then maybe they should reconsider whether their horse really should be used for breeding.

This is a very timely and interesting topic. I've enjoyed reading all your opinions and responses. Seems like the bottom line is...do what you personally feel comfortable doing.

Latest posts

Back