Please give me opinions, As Buyers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
I'm so tired of the AMHA's expensive ways and all their rules that I can barely stand it any longer, I'm tired of trying. I have 25 mares, only 7 are A/R, the rest are R's only. I've always tried to have some double registered foals as some buyers only want the A/R foals but I"m wondering, how important it really is to have them double registered. I'm on my last nerve, I'm an inch away from just forgetting the AMHA all together but would you guys, as buyers, tell me if you'd only buy a double registered foal? I realize that it depends on the part of the country you're in like TX is a big A country but please give opinions and help me save my mind. I only have one nerve left and the AMHA is destroying it.

If I am buying a colt to geld then no it doesnt matter if he is or not. However if I am buying breeding stock then yes I want them double registured.

Personally, at almost 6' tall, I prefer them taller, so I really like AMHR. We only have R shows in Montana which contributes to that. That said, I have an A/R stallion and my three mares are R only (with one maybe eligible for A also). So, as a buyer, I really like the Rs, as all my mares will mature around 35-36".

Well that is a decision only you can make. I personally agree with you... I do not like AMHA, it's fees, it's shows... so I have R only horses. I also prefer the big moving R horses as well.

That said, if you are a breeder and hoping to sell foals, then I would not limit ANYTHING that would make them more saleable/desireable to a buyer. Limiting your horses by denying the foal the full things that you can offer them isn't something I would do.

If it truly concerns you, sell the AMHA mares you have and don't bother with it or be tempted by it, let someone else register the babies AMHA.

Andrea

I have had the exact reverse troubles with R instead of A's, and won't touch a horse unless it at least has A papers, Both is better, but A is most important to me. I also feel that it still adds value to a horse to be double registered versus just one registry, it gives you more options.

Just IMO, good luck, honestly, they are all a PITA, but it's what we do for our horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Texas, but my bare minimum requirement is AMHR. I only send my horses on the AMHR circuit, therefore, it is only necessary to have AMHR registrations.

I completely understand your frustration, Marnie.....and have had those same thoughts myself.

I do have alot of AMHA stock, but all of mine are double registered.

I have recently expanded my B sized herd and I get alot of inquiries for B mares.

It is very important to me that they are double. IF only one, MUST be AMHA.

Viki

Well since asking for opinions my own opinion and experiences..

I dropped AMHA about 2-3 years ago totally maybe more to be honest. I have only R horses and and most of them B size however. I can say judging from the sale board and alot of websites -I have had NO PROBLEM selling my horses as R only and for about the same amount of money the avg AMHA or double reg A/R stock are going for. It has been a decision that worked for me and I never looked back. However that said you will never be able to market to every buyer some want double reg A/R some will only look at R/ASPC some want only under 34 others only over 34. Bottom line is you have to go with what you feel comfortable with, what you enjoy and no matter what program you have, when it is a program that is consistent, you are a good honest seller with plenty of aftercare for your clients asking fair market value prices for animals that are what you represent them as and make sure the horse is the right fit for the client which helps to ensure a happy client... you will sell your horses
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited:
Our Horses are all AMHA/AMHR Except our Gelding?

Problems with AMHR also does happen, had paperwork sent back!

Example stud report, had the year at the top of page and on every mare at the side.

(forgot when signed to put the date beside. Returned. Read Read Read over.

When we started in Minis, suggested by a long time breeder?

Suggestions:

You will want leg action for driving?

DNA tested, so you know what you are getting? The Trueth on bloodlines?

Selling Market is more!

More show choices.

(Minis) meaning ( Small )

Hope this helps
default_wub.png
:

I agree with Lisa (RuffnTuff). Do what you think is right for your own program. When it comes down to it, you never can please ALL the people (Buyers) ALL the time.

For instance......When we end up having more tiny tinies available for sale, that's when we start getting calls for the long legged performance horses. Then the following year, we have more taller babies available and a bunch of people are wanting the LITTLE ones! <sigh>
default_wacko.png
:

All you can do is decide what YOU want in a minature horse and go with that.

MA

[SIZE=14pt]I dont show amha and I will only hardship Sweet Tart into AMHA for spite because people say there are no shetlands in AMHA.... I would never buy an amha only foal.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I would buy what I liked and whatever registry would be a second thought.

I think if you are selling as breeding stock/show stock some people want A/R but I think if your prospective buyers are newbies to the mini world or looking for a pet or 4-H show pony or to drive I think the taller minis are better and just need to be R.

Personally, I have found people who are looking for a pet, which often make the best home, all the expensive paperwork with multiple registries is just unwanted added expense.

I think R minis sell very well.

I am just in the process of doing some A paperwork, what a pain the the butt!! Now today I just got all my R paperwork back, all in order all up to date quick and easy!! I am dragging my feet with the A paperwork because it is a pain!

I have not read the thread yet BUT I have "not" renewed my AMHA yet. I have gotten more darn flack in the last year, I'm tired of it. I'd love to be able to have a membership that does not include the magazine. Don't get me wrong..I enjoy it but really don't need it. So I may just go R only from here on out. All my current horses are both (except Treasure who is 37") so any babies can be brought into the A if the buyer wishes. I think that is how I will do it in the future.

When (up until this year) I was only interested in showing, THE papers for me were AMHR. AMHA was fine, but AMHR is what I "needed". This is because there are no AMHA shows in my area at all, but there are good oportunities to show AMHR.

Now that I am going to be doing a little breeding, yes, AMHA is important to me. I probably won't be buying any AMHR only horses for some time, and the one mare I have who is only AMHR is going to be hardshipped into AMHA this summer. I would buy AMHA only horses, since for a couple hundred, they can get AMHR papers and then be double registered.

I want double registered, A & R both for breeding and showing. If I have to hard ship, I'd rather not buy the horse. Been there done that!!

JMHO

JoyceM

[SIZE=14pt]I dont show amha and I will only hardship Sweet Tart into AMHA for spite because people say there are no shetlands in AMHA.... I would never buy an amha only foal.[/SIZE]

Lyn
LOL Lyn I had to get a big ol chuckle out of that one
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited:
As far as I am concerned, you are losing half your market by having only AMHR horses. All of ours are double registered, DNA'ed, and foals will be parent qualified. I wouldn't even consider purchasing a horse who wasn't double registered no matter how nice!

That said, I agree paperwork is a hassle, but necessary. There are many benefits to being a member of AMHA, and AMHR. Why limit yourself?

Those of you that know me, know that I am very into the taller horses and shetlands. Most of mine are ASPC/AMHR. However, if I have a horse that is 34 or under which I do, I feel it is important to have them AMHA as well. It creates a larger market for them and you never know what the person wants that may buy that foal.

Also, and this is an absolute shame, many shetland breeders during the basement market for shetlands let the shetland papers go and did not keep them up for some of the reasons you have mentioned. These horses lost their lineage and heritage because of this. What I wouldn't give to have shetland papers on some of the fabulous stock out there that rightfully deserves it.

JMHO

Latest posts

Back