Please give me opinions, As Buyers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we buy horses they must be at least AMHA, I will not buy a horse that is only R, We cannot give those horses away here in NC, There is a huge difference in what an AMHA horse will bring over an AMHR horse of equal quality at the sales here. You would only have to come to one sale to see this.

I totally see where you are coming from with AMHA....My stallions are all A/R and I have several mares that are A which I plan to register them also in AMHR....The rest are AMHR only.

I truly prefer AMHR......

Those of you that know me, know that I am very into the taller horses and shetlands. Most of mine are ASPC/AMHR. However, if I have a horse that is 34 or under which I do, I feel it is important to have them AMHA as well. It creates a larger market for them and you never know what the person wants that may buy that foal.

Also, and this is an absolute shame, many shetland breeders during the basement market for shetlands let the shetland papers go and did not keep them up for some of the reasons you have mentioned. These horses lost their lineage and heritage because of this. What I wouldn't give to have shetland papers on some of the fabulous stock out there that rightfully deserves it.

JMHO

I totally agree, Annette! Dropping those papers was a disservice to the breed!

MA

Registration does not matter at all to me.

BUT, I am not a breeder, looking to breed, or a big show person. I like my minis and if they have papers, fine. If not, fine too. No matter to me. I also only buy cheap ones at this time. :bgrin

My preference would always be double-registered AMHA/AMHR, which is what all but one of the horses I currently own are. However, that said, I would buy an AMHA only horse and register it into AMHR. Don't even LOOK at AMHR only horses. Reason?--the fee for hardshipping R into A is prohibitve, whereas the expense for A into R is "do-able". As far as I have been able to see, that is the ONLY place where AMHA's fees are appreciably higher than AMHR's. If we had AMHA activities here in Central Illinois, that would be my flat-out choice registry, but where I'm located, R is the only act it town. Come on all you people that complain about AMHA's high fees, show me a significant difference in ANYTHING other than the hardshipping fee, and PLEASE don't mention the DNA testing requirements, that is something that SHOULD be required by all registrys. I would suggest we all stop complaining about one registry or the other and just act on our own feelings privately. In other words, if you don't like it, get out of Dodge, but keep it to yourself!

I can understand your frustation, although both registries can give grief when it comes to paperwork! 9 out fo 10 it's pefect, but if something goes wrong . . .
default_sad.png

From the breeding perspective, I personally want double registered, DNA/PQ breeding stock. AMHA's system for registration, may not be perfect yet, and may not guarantee parantage (with unscrupulous people) - but it's a start. I'm not purposely breeding for the pet market, as pets are born from the best stock, and we'll all get them occasionally from any breeding program.

My personal feeling is if someone is willing to market their horses for anything above a pet price, everything should be done - registration, DNA/PQ testing, etc. Those are things I'm looking for in the future. AMHR's paperwork with fill in the blank color - well - it's not good enough in my book. Photo ID and DNA helps keep most people honest - not perfect as the cheats will cheat!

So, last year was my last time to buy anything that is registered in only one registry. I have four that will be registered into AMHR ($1400) and one that needs to go into AMHA ($600+ dna test too). The cost is one thing, but unless a horse is an absolute steal, not again - the paperwork is just time consuming and an additional pain in the butt!

That said, we show primarily AMHR as we can show our tiny ones up to the B size. Plus here in California the A shows are much more expensive and less friendly. We show for the enjoyment not for the stress!

Marnie, you will never please every buyer, and you really need think of who or what you want to market too. If minis are under 34" (to me) double registered opens up a larger market. If it's causing you stress - don't do it! You can sell only AMHR, with an application to AMHA for the foals (assuming the parents are A's). There are plenty of people that specialize in only one registry with great success.

This is suppose to be enjoyable, if it isn't re-evaluate what your doing and make changes!

Oh Marnie I feel your pain.

Up until last year I really had no problems whatsoever with AMHA. I'd had a few little problems here and there, but nothing to get all huffy about, most were usually resolved with a few extra dollars. LOL Every once in a while you'd hear me grumble about it, but I figured as most on the thread have said, that if I'm going to be breeding horses to show and sell, I shouldn't limit myself (well, them).

However, last year must have been the AMHA's year to see how many people they could tick off. I haven't renewed my membership yet. I'll probably get over it, and re-join. All of my breeding stock is A/R, and I would NOT have a horse that wasn't R... that's what we show. Plus I love the driving horses. I can see where it would be limiting to seel babies that were only R though.

It is very important to me that they are double. IF only one, MUST be AMHA.
This is my feeling, too.

AMHR only would be unusable to me as there are very few people in this area buying R only, they seem to want to give very low rock-bottom dollar for those, while AMHA are getting almost twice that, IME.

Double registered is my preference, but I COULD get them AMHR lots easier than the other way around.

I feel like Michelle does in that AMHA is trying to be accountable on keeping track of breeding stock w/DNA and pictures on the papers and AMHR has done some pretty funky things to one of my friends RE: her farm name/reserved prefix and I am angry with them for not being more committed to their customers in that respect, but I love both and I feel that a horse w/AMHA papers has far more value for me and for my program than an AMHR only or an unregistered one.

Liz M.

Come on all you people that complain about AMHA's high fees, show me a significant difference in ANYTHING other than the hardshipping fee,
Ok well since you asked and since I am curious myself having felt AMHA was more expensive I decided to compare side to side incase I was wrong- I found it interesting to put it side by side as like I said I have never done it before and usually was going off memory on the one I wasnt filling out at the time.

Now before anyone goes on a flame fest I was just doing this for interest sake and not saying there is or isnt reasons for any charges.

First off

Membership

AMHA- 75 first time- 55 renewal

AMHR- 45

Weanlings-20 bucks for both A and R

Yearlings-AMHA-45- AMHR 30

2 yr olds and up is the AMHA breakdown- AMHA-60 bucks 2 yr olds AMHR 45

3 yr old and up- AMHR 60 bucks

Transfers

AMHA 15 within 6 months 25 after

AMHR-15 after 6 months 25

Temp to Perm

AMHA has breakdown per sex of horse

within 6 months

Stallion-50.00 After 6 months - 100.00

Mare-25.00 After 6 months- 50.00

Gelding-10.00 After 6 months 20

AMHR - no sex breakdown

5 dollars all horses if late it is 10.00

Stallion reports

AMHA- 10.00

If late- 25.00 + 10.00 per mare

AMHR-no fee late charge -25.00

Ammy card

AMHA 10

AMHR- 5

They have to have AMHA papers or I won't look. I am willing if its not AMHR to shell out the $200 to put R papers on it. I don't want to wait 5 years to put a papers on.

BTW it seems ASPC/AMHR is adding some of the restrictions A has. ie papers with picture, DNA in some cases.

If you are breeding horses you should be able to keep up with registration requirements. Most people get into trouble when they don't do their paper work in a timely manner.

Ok one more thing then I'm off. I have always had both A&R. BUT I also have difficulty selling regardless. I'm in debt to my eyeballs, I have very nice horses, have had some exceptional babies BUT unless I drop the price to ridiculous they don't sell. I have no idea if it is location oriented or what but I advertise, I'm in the journal state listings, I have a website, heck I'm "here". I am just about done honestly. Why make more if no one wants it. I adore my girls and am happy with them. Sorry to be so sour grapes but this tweaked me. A or R, A&R seems to make no never mind for "my" market so why bother.
default_wacko.png
: They may end up just beloved pets.

I feel your pain Marnie. I too have thought about the money I've spent with AMHA the last 4.5 years and think of the nice pinto mare I could have bought with it.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

But on the other hand I have an R only stallion (in my avatar) that I was trying to sell for the longest time...he's only 32.5", a buckeroo grandson and VERY worthy of AMHA papers, his dam was only R (and hardshipped at that I believe) that's the only reason he's R only...but do you think I could sell him?? Nooooo....Now I've decided NOT to sell him, I have gotten 5 or more emails asking if he's still for sale - isn't that how it goes? I may or may not hardship him into AMHA, heck I'm not too proud to say that $1200 is steep as heck...but I have a bad feeling that if I breed him to my A/R mares(I don't have any that are R only), I'll end up with a barn full of R foals that will mature UNDER 34", which doesn't really work well for people wanting the taller big movers.
default_unsure.png
:

I'm on my last nerve, I'm an inch away from just forgetting the AMHA all together

Me too exactly Marnie! I'm just sick of it too.

Everytime I turn around it's another DNA fee or something else. Some of their fees are out of line in my opinon and I can't afford their rich taste. Did I actually have to PAY to send in a stallion breeding report? Now that's really sad.

I will keep up with the double registered ones I have but in horse shopping, I will gladly settle for an R horse in the future. So less complicated.

AMHR is just easier for me.

If I knew back then what I knew now, I would go stricktly AMHR.

Horses: Rich man's hobby?

I haven't had time to read all the responses, I will later. But I just wanted to ad that I feel like a small fry in a big pool. Like $25 per mare on an amended report and I asked if the mare was open, if it can be removed, nope, $25 for each. Now this was my fault, admittedly and the AMHA is so good when they send back paperwork, they include everything and high light it in yellow. But I just wish they'd realize that not everyone is made of money, they simply want to much money for to many things. I did read Mary Lou's response and do agree, I do think it's high time that the R registry started to be stricter but in the mean time, I guess I'll just keep writing checks out to the AMHA.

I personally feel it is IMPORTANT to have correct parentage on my registration papers through DNA.. Sure some people argue people can cheat with DNA but REPUTABLE breeders will not..

It is too EASY to fudge up AMHR papers... and now that the fine-boned, ultra-stepping Mini-ponies are HOT.. you are going to see a LOT of FUDGING papers in the AMHR.. JMHO
Not to argue the point but... you said it yourself DNA or not (as we all know there are ways around it) reputable breeders will be honest be it DNA/ actual PQ or not no matter what the registry

Horses: Rich man's hobby?

You are right Marty!,
default_yes.gif
:

I remember, my first horse, someone told us, you will always be broke.

But, just such a loving hobby.
default_shutup.gif
:

:saludando:

Not to argue the point but... you said it yourself DNA or not (as we all know there are ways around it) reputable breeders will be honest be it DNA/ actual PQ or not no matter what the registry

The other thing DNA does is make an honest breeder aware when something has happened that they don't know about. ie Stallion gets out breeds mare and somebody stops by and sees horse out and puts him back in pen with open gate.

It has happened enough that PQ comes back, and breeders has to go out and DNA a couple of yearling or 2yr old studs to find out who did the deed. It happens to the most honest people you would ever meet. PQ'ing foals makes it possible to find out when the unexpected happens.

Marnie, with us I prefer them double registered. I had a few R only mares several years ago who were just as nice as any A/R mare I had. BUT their babies sold slower than the double mares. I spent out the Wazoo to get these mares double registered and haven't regretted it for a minute.

I know your frustrated but don't limit yourself to just one market.
default_yes.gif
:

Well I prefer double reg AMHA/AMHR on all my horses and I would say at least 95% of my herd is just that; I have a couple shetlands and a couple just R, two of which are going for A hardship.

When looking I prefer to look for AMHA/AMHR horses........

But I can say I would never be too closed minded or hard headed to say I would never buy a horse due to that fact that it is only AMHA or only AMHR, because an AMHA only horse can go into R very easily really..........and an AMHR horse into AMHA (if under 34").

To me a good horse is a good horse whether it is A or R or both - and if it is a horse that I look at and go "oh laa laa" over then heck it will become part of my program and hopefully outproduce itself and creat even better foals, maybe even a National Champion.....

I know everyone has their own opinions and preferences but my take on it is if I like the horse, I will buy the horse - no matter A or R or both...........if I don't like the horse it won't matter what it is, I won't buy it.

Latest posts

Back