Please give me opinions, As Buyers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't care if the horse is registered or not. As long as it is sound and healthy, than I'm happy. I have a mini that I paid ony $400 for and he is the sweetest most easy going fellow I could ever want. And that is what I want in a horse. He is worth millions to me.

I am not interested in breeding or showing. I think of mine as my second time around at motherhood. My kids are on their own now and my horses fill my days with much joy and happiness. There is nothing wrong with having them just as pets. And heck, my children wern't registered :lol: :lol: :lol:

ive always supported both amha and amhr even though there are no amha shows where i lived. but i have to say ive about had it and am also ready to throw in the towel. I wont go into the long drawn out story but Im still having trouble with amha after MONTHS of trying to straighten it out. The last one took almost 7 months! AMHR makes mistakes too but i have found that they take care of them in timely manner. Ill keep the amha horses i have now but it will no longer be a prerequisite for me on what i buy.

I'm another that could care less about AMHA. I like the B's best (though we do have a few little ones too) & all but one of ours are AMHR only. I will not look at AMHA only since there are so many nice R horses to pick from.

It is a matter of choice because like the others have said, no matter what you've got for sale there are usually buyers that want something different. I figure go with what you like & then find the market for them.

It's true that DNA/PQ keeps honest people honest, but then honest people aren't going to be fudging papers even without DNA/PQ! DNA isn't a bad thing & somewhere down the road I guess AMHA pedigrees will be foolproof, but right now I laugh every time I hear someone spout off about how superior the AMHA registry is because of DNA....then they turn around & say that they're afraid to PQ anything that they didn't breed on their farm.

With our Morgans PQ was automatic as soon as bloodtyping & then DNA came into effect--you send in DNA on a horse & you automatically get PQ, you're not given a choice. I cannot get over how AMHA didn't do the same.

I started out with A only (they will be hardshipped into R), and bought one R only (she is currently being hardshipped into A), but now will only seriously consider double registered horses. That works for me. I have had no trouble with either registry. Both have been considerate and timely.

Stacye

All Minis I have are AMHA/AMHR, DNA - Proven parentage

All Minis I buy have to be the same..

I personally feel it is IMPORTANT to have correct parentage on my registration papers through DNA.. Sure some people argue people can cheat with DNA but REPUTABLE breeders will not..

It is too EASY to fudge up AMHR papers... and now that the fine-boned, ultra-stepping Mini-ponies are HOT.. you are going to see a LOT of FUDGING papers in the AMHR.. JMHO

Just because AMHA is more expensive, I can deal with that because I like their higher standards for registration better...

Not knocking AMHR, but I think it is far past time for them to clean up the registry with better standards... but I do not see it till all of the breeders are happy mixing Shetlands AND Hackneys in the current Miniature Horse breed..

REMEMBER.. this is Just My Humble Opinion.
I agree with you, Mary Lou. Mine have to be both AMHA/AMHR.....all of mine always have been, and always will be.
default_yes.gif
: I have been raising Miniatures since 1989, and personally have had no more problems with AMHA than I have with AMHR.
default_rolleyes.gif
: I always make sure to go over all my paperwork before sending it in, to be SURE I have everything in order.
default_wink.png
: I show in both registries, and enjoy them both. The AMHR shows are a little less "intense" IMO, so actually enjoy those more. But, there are things about the AMHR shows I don't like, just as there are things about the AMHA shows I don't like either.

Yes, AMHA is a "bit" more expensive...but it's worth it to me, as I breed for the "tiny" ones. I also feel the AMHA registry has more credibility. Yes, dishonest people will always find a way around rules....but at least AMHA is "trying" by requiring DNA & photos on registrations.

I think, all things being "EQUAL" (both horses of equal quality, size & color) an AMHA horse will always bring more money. And that's JUST MY HONEST OPINION.
default_yes.gif
:

DNA isn't a bad thing & somewhere down the road I guess AMHA pedigrees will be foolproof, but right now I laugh every time I hear someone spout off about how superior the AMHA registry is because of DNA....then they turn around & say that they're afraid to PQ anything that they didn't breed on their farm.

With our Morgans PQ was automatic as soon as bloodtyping & then DNA came into effect--you send in DNA on a horse & you automatically get PQ, you're not given a choice. I cannot get over how AMHA didn't do the same.
I PQ every foal I register, bred here or not. If I get a foal who's DNA does not match its parents, someone is going to hear about it.

Starting this year, it is no longer an option. All foals DNAed from parents who are DNAed will AUTOMATICALLY be PQed. No one is perfect, but some people and some registries are making steps in the right direction and some are not.

Last edited by a moderator:
We really like th R horses infact the aspc/amhr horses and most of our horses are registered that way. Have a few R only and 4 that are amha/amhr. We go only to amhr shows and the cost to register and show amha not something that we like.I guess it depends on what you like and also if into breeding and selling what people in your area like.

As a fairly large breeder, (30+?) this year, I find that it is sooooo much easier to sell a horse that is both AMHA & AMHR. Pepole just come looking for a mini or two(a lot of my clients are first time buyers) and when I get into the registries, most don't really care. At least at the moment they don't. However we all know how infectious the *Mini Bug" is. I always explain both registries and ususally down the line these people get into showing, driving etc and are very glad to have the option of both. The experienced mini horse buyers I get know ahead of time which they want and are happy when I tell them 85% of my mares and 100% of my stallions are double registred. I delivered 2 mini mares today to a new mini owner and one is registered A the other is R (part of my 15%) Both are beautiful mares and they will be clicker trained in jumping and obstical. We finally decided that it would be best for er to hardship the A mare into R so she can show them together. It wouldn't be cost effective to go the other way. So, I guess I'm saying, if possible any future purchases by me will have to be double registered. It's easier (though costly) for both me and my clients.

Ginny StP

My horses MUST be AMHA AMHR is just a bonus.

AMHR comes with the magazine too, what's the diff?

As a director in AMHA, what is the problem, really? Hassle? I do know that most problems are caused by improper paperwork by the owners, especially pictures!

One 'undefined ' I guess with AMHR is you can register dwarves since no pictures are required.

AMHA has higher overhead with the papers with pictures. AMHR with just a certificate has much lower overhead.

I am looking at a stallion right now that is only A reg. If he was only R, I wouldn't be looking at him at all. Only because I like all of mine to be double reg and it's cheaper to take him from A to R than vice versa.

[SIZE=10pt]It used to be that I would ALWAYS insist on double registered horses...but as time goes by I do not limit myself to anything...I buy and raise what I LIKE. Nothing to do with registry troubles, just my personal taste...
default_wink.png
:
[/SIZE]

When I first helped fill out AMHR registration papers... I was appalled. I have worked with many different breeds and had never seen papers that were that big of a joke - and told you next to nothing. Putting pinto markings on those ridiculous, small outlines was laughable. Going by such papers - any horse could be - well, any horse. :no:

AMHR should at LEAST clean up their regoistration papers and bring them up to the standards of other breed registries - if not go the full monty and actually require DNA & PQ - that would be the ethical and responsible thing to do. The prefix nonsense was interesting... when told that a certain AMHA mare could not be registered in AMHR with her registered name - the correct prefix was unacceptable as it was already registered... we were told to simply attach our farm name onto her. No, we said - we did not breed her - and we cannot claim her as our breeding. The AMHR office person said to just do it - everyone does it... it was not a big deal. HUH?? We would not tack our farm name on - so in order to get some of them into AMHR we had to leave the prefix/farm name off totally...
default_wacko.png
:

If you switched prefixes on registered dogs or other horse breeds like that (as we were advised to do) - and made it appear as if they were of your breeding.... YIKES. :new_shocked:

We have had delays with both registries... one is not any speedier than the other... and getting some of the A horses into R was a PITA, as I mentioned.

Except for a couple of geldings and older mares, everyone here is now AMHA/AMHR... and all new babies will be as well....
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=10pt]Great thread Marnie. I have enjoyed reading all of the posts...I will post no input though, as I am technically a newbie. Lots of stuff to think on though![/SIZE]

Lori

To answer your question, "Are AMHA foals important to you", the answer would be yes. All of my horses but one (she's AMHA only at the moment) are double registered. I have hardshipped 3 mares and one stallion into AMHA and it's been worth every penny. If I were looking to buy a foal, it would have to be double registered as waiting for it to become 5 to hardship into AMHA would just be too long. If I'm looking to buy a young horse, I pass over any that are AMHR only.

I don't want to cut out half my market by having foals registered in only one registry or the other.

I've had problems with paperwork with both registries, but generally it's not a big deal to correct. It can be a little time consuming, but I'm not about to toss out the baby with the bath water so to speak!

I have a question. All my horses are double reg except for Treasure. Mares(Inc Treasure) and stallion are DNA'd. IF I should decide NOT to renew my A membership, wouldn't any future foals be "eligable" for AMHA registration even if I am NOT a member? I could still sell the foal with the A application and explanation...correct? Seeing as I do not plan to buy any more horses this got me thinking after MaryLou's comment. She made a good point but....I had to ask. Thanks.

It used to be that I would only look at AMHA or AMHA/AMHR horses. THEN I fell in love with Misty,who is exclusively AMHR. I bought her, from you Marnie, and it opened my eyes to a whole world of minis that I had excluded before.

Since then I realized that there are MANY more AMHR shows around, that AMHR is much less expensive and is more user friendly and seems to be a little more family oriented.

Now, I will never not look at a mini simply because he or she is exclsusively AMHR.

Ps. I felt Misty's baby move the other day. It will be a homozygous pinto, and I am sure it will have blue eyes. Misty is bred to my homozygous blue eyed black pinto. I can't wait!

I have bought 9 mare or fillies and 2 stud over the last 3 years as I had decided to get back into minis after leaving them about 5 years ago.

My record so far is 7 of the 9 mares are AMHA/AMHR

2 of the 9 mares are AMHR only

1 stud is AMHA and AMHR

1 stud is AMHR only but I am going to hardship him into AMHA after his sire is hardshipped in, so that I can use him on my dual registered mares.

My criateria has been must be AMHR but would prefer dual registered. My reasoning like several others is I don't want to loose that share of the market, but like you I HATE the bull *!@? that goes with AMHA.

:bgrin

I only buy A and R double reg. Its so exspensive just to have anything shipped to Maine that I have to shop long and hard and make the investment worthwhile. Plus where it is just really getting started in Maine Im not sure which way the shows will go and I want to cover all bases!! :new_shocked:

You get back from each organization what you put into it. If you do not show on any particular circuit, then you have to look at where your potential market shows, because after all, everyone wants to breed that next National Champion, whether it be 'A' or 'R'. Or at least, that's what people SHOULD be breeding for, because to breed indiscriminately without trying to improve their program....they should not be breeding any horses. JMHO

To your original question - all horses I've purchased in the last few years have been A/R registered. BUT...I really really really really wanted a mare that was in Doc Taylor's sale last year. Dang!!!!! She was awesome. She was ASPC but would end up staying under 38" and I would have hardshipped her into AMHR in a heart beat but someone else recognized that fact too - in fact quite a few did - because she sold for a good chunk of change. DANG IT!!
default_smile.png

But I have had absolutely no problem with AMHA and its paperwork or it's costs. To me, the cost of DNA and PQ is WELL worth it. I like the fact that my horses are DNAd. That they are Parent Qualified. I show primarily on the AMHR circuit but my dream and goal is to someday take the AMHA circuit by storm.
default_yes.gif
:

For me, any horse I buy must be AMHA, AMHR is a bonus, but not necessary, as I can always register the horse in R with its A papers. I find it strange that so many people have had problems with AMHA - I have never had any problems at all. Now AMHR on the other hand, I could go on for hours about the difficulties I have had with them!

Latest posts

Back