Pictures of my mare...is the pregnant?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Pam. I forgot to add that, and that's usually one of my "stand-bys". Just getting back as something was nagging at me, and that's what it was! You're a lifesaver!

My other mantra is Selenium and the need for mares to have an adequate intake of selenium -- something mare/foal feeds and general grain feeds don't have enough of. But I just checked our selenium map and saw that Kansas has adequate selenium in the ground, so this pretty mare should have enough without having to add a supplement.

If anyone is not sure about the selenium in their state, you can check our threads with the foaling videos, and there is a map posted there. In states where selenium is missing, like here in Florida, I can recommend a product from Purina called Natures Essentials, Free Balance 12:12. Mare/Foal feed usually contains 0.6 ppm of selenium -- which is not enough for mares where selenium is not found naturally in the soil. But the Free Balance contains 35.0 ppm and helps put healthy and strong foals on the ground.

Last edited:
wow your girl is most certainly pregnant! thats so exciting
default_smile.png
sounds like you're pretty prepped and ready for that little bundle of joy to come to your place very soon
default_smile.png

so tell us what would you like a visit from the filly fairy or the colt sprite/elf? lol

Aww such a pretty mare..Good Luck with your new baby.. I will be keeping a look out for regular updates and some baby pictures
default_wub.png

I really don't care either way if it's a boy or girl...just hoping for a healthy baby!
default_smile.png

Oh my gosh I just love your girl!! I would have to say that she is pregnant also!! I hope that everything goes well for you and her! I wish I could figure out if my girl is pregnant as easily as yours!

Awwww.....we all want healthy babies....but do you have a secret desire for a colt or a filly? Any color you're hoping for -- or plans for what you are hoping to do with baby?

She's such a pretty girl -- you're going to get a beautiful baby!

She's beautiful! Since she isn't a maiden, my guess is about 8 wks to go for her. But don't take my word for it as I've only gone through it once and it WAS with a maiden! Welcome!!!
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This is such a fun forum! I can hardly get off of here! :/ I think I would maybe lean closer to a filly if we were to keep her. If it was a colt I'm pretty sure we would not be keeping him. One of the main things I want to do is take the foal up to the nursing home. I'm not sure how I'm going to go about doing that...wondering if I'll have to take Josie to? I wonder what age I could do that? I have been wanting to take our minis to the nursing home for a while but wasn't sure about how to go about doing it.

Can anyone give me advice on selling minis? Around here you have to practically give them away it seems. I paid around $500 for Josie...that was way more than minis go for around here. I got her because first of all I fell in love with her looks and second of all she is registered and has Komokos Little Rocky, Komokos Little Champ, and Komokos Teenie Joy in her pedigree. I honestly don't know a lot about pedigree...but I wanted a mare with a little bit of something in her background. She is 31". Red is 31" and he was only $200. One of his colts won Nebraska state something or another a few years ago...but I don't know a lot about that. Both Josie and Red are AMHR registered. If I was to sell the baby do you think I could sell him/her for much in another state? I just don't know much about this subject. Anyhow...thanks for all of your thoughts and advice! I really appreciate it!

Unless the baby was weaned, I wouldn't take it to the nursing home -- as stress in the little ones can be very hard on them. Once weaned, and once you've got a "lap horse" who likes meeting new people and new experiences, you might take her to meet a few people and see how she does. I don't know much about visiting nursing homes, etc., but several people on here do so they could advise you more -- especially about the rules, and how to know if a horse is suited for those types of visits. Hopefully they'll respond and give you some ideas!

We're really glad you're enjoying your time with us! We are so happy you're having fun, and am happy that you're sharing your precious girl with us!

I would start to get her used to her foaling stall now, we are not sure of her due date but we normally suggest about a month before foaling. Is it possible for you to prepare a space for her friend to be close but not in with her? Can you close off an area in front of her stall for Debbie to stay at night? Remember also that you will need to prepare a safe area for Josie and baby to go out in that will need baby proof fencing.

As to taking baby to the Nursing home, I think that will have to wait for quite a while. Babies pick up all sorts of bacteria just like human babies so it is safer to keep them at home for the first few months. Also you have to account for the fact that babies aren't house trained and the first thing horses do when they get nervous is poop, which probably won't go down very well in the nursing home. Plus the fact that she might not be over friendly as some foals just don't like being touched much.

How old is Debbie, I am not sure if you have said? Could you perhaps take her instead?

I will leave the selling horse advice to the American girls as things are different here in Italy. The market is down everywhere though so you might just have to wait and see how the foal turns out.

Still waiting for pics of Debbie and Red
default_whistling.gif

The farrier came out yesterday and while he was here he told me he thought Josie was pregnant as well.
default_smile.png
I am going to try to get more pictures soon for you all!

I'm about to photo bomb you all! I probably am showing you too many pictures. But I am excited! Although....my stallion was trying to breed her again yesterday!?!! What is up with that? She also looks like she leaked on her tail and legs?? Was that from him or from her? I'm just all around confused about that. I still need to get pictures of Debbie and Red for you. I'm hoping to run out and do that after uploading these if the baby is still sleeping. ;) I have to multi task to get these pictures!

My 2 year old girl, Ella is holding Josie for the pictures. She will be three in June. She isn't so sure about holding Josie. I think that I put too much fear in my kids when I talk about horse safety. I want them to feel confident around them...but at the same time I want them to really respect the horse!

And finally....here's my lil herd:

Red our stallion:

Debbie who is two. She is not registered and will be bigger than the others:

Josie and Red together:

I know, I know....I have chubby ponies. :/

OMGoodness!!! Are you sure Red isn't pregnant, too???

Now, you have joined the regiment of Anna and Renee in the fatty horses!

Little momma looks lop-sided -- even with the "added fat" everyone has! Very exciting!!

Latest posts

Back