Pictures of my mare...is the pregnant?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freegreenbird

Reaction score
Title should say: Is SHE pregnant. :/

Hi! I'm new to the miniature horse world. I have owned three miniature horses for about a year now. They are a lot of fun! I grew up with Quarter Horses but because of me being pregnant so often (not being able to ride) and having small children around we decided to sell our big horses and try minis! We have two mares and one stallion. The mare that I have questions about is 13. When I bought her she was very overweight and even looked pregnant but I knew she wasn't because she hadn't been in with a stallion. As soon as we got her home (summer of 2012) she went into heat and our stallion bred her. But...the due date rolled around and she never foaled. She has been in with a stallion ever since I got her. I honestly have not been checking her close and watching for her heat cycles. On October 31, 2012 I did see our stallion breeding her. I checked her and she was in heat. So am I correct in thinking she would be due late September this year? Anyhow...I am posting some pictures from photbucket to let you look at her and hopefully tell me what you think. Do you think she is pregnant? One of the main questions I want answered. ..can an older broodmare have an udder that looks like my mares all the time? Can the udder look saggy after so many foals?

Also, the pictures are taken in our barn (needs a good cleaning)...our horses don't live in there. They are out to pasture (20 acres) most of the time and can come and go as they please.

These links are long....sorry...I hope they work! They are a side view, under tail view, udder views, and above view.

Full side view:

Underside udder view:

Under Tail:

Back udder view:

Top View:

Extra side view:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome to the Nutty Nursery
default_smile.png
You had me giggling away reading your post
default_yes.gif
so now I have loads of questions. Firstly what is your name as freegreenbird is kind of long to write, then how many kids do you have ? you will soon have loads of minis too if you have 2 girls and a stallion, the kids can have one each
default_thumbup.gif

O.k now to the serious stuff, your girl is gorgeous by the way, we can see that she receives plenty of shopping but this makes it hard to see if it is fat or a baby. Her udder could be saggy due to her age even though my older girls never had saggy boobs. (much to their delight I am sure
default_smile.png
)

Can you take a pic of her from behind down at her level, this will help us see how wide she is and if she is symmetrical.

Once again, welcome and please share pics of everyone else on your farm
default_yes.gif

My name is Laura. We have three children and one on the way (I'm due in Oct.)
default_smile.png
. My husband is a farmer. We raise wheat and milo and cattle. I will try to get a picture of her from the back. Her name is Josie. I would love to share pictures of my other two minis when I have a chance. My stallion is a red roan (Red) and my almost two year old (Debbie) is a black and white pinto/paint....not sure what you would call her. Anyhow...I need to get running! Looking forward to checking back with you all!

Renee, so interesting to read your post. I was thinking as soon as I saw the pictures of beautiful Josie that she was expecting. I still have lots to learn. Welcome to the Nutty Nursery Laura. So glad to have you here and how exciting you're expecting!!!

She looks pregnant to me, as the one picture makes her look a bit lop-sided, which is what we look for!! Can't wait for the other pictures so we can learn more about this lovely lady!!

WELCOME to our Nutty Nursery. We're so glad you are here!

Last edited:
Pretty little mare love her color and markings. I am no way experienced with prego mares just had my first foal born and the ladies of this MB were very helpful.

Hi Laura, a big welcome to you, Josie, Debbie and Red - great to have you here!
default_yes.gif

I would say that Josie looks pregnant, but agree that her weight could make this a 'maybe' especially if she has foaled before - do you have any past history for her - this could also explain her saggy udder.

Now bear with me as I am an elderly person well known for occasionally lacking in brain capacity but, not too sure I understand your first post! You say that when you got her home (summer 2012) she was covered by your stallion "but the due date rolled round and she never foaled"?? Do you mean "summer 2011"?

If she has been running with Red since then (2012) she could foal anytime now! Many mares allow a stud to cover them even when they are pregnant, so dont let that Sept covering fool you into thinking you may have to wait until August for her to foal. Indeed, if she is pregnant, then she looks much nearer to foaling to me than August.

Soooooooooooooooo I think we will have to assume she's pregnant but due date is unknown? So we now need lots more pics from every angle possible, so that we can join you in trying to give Josie an estimated foaling date.
default_yes.gif

She's a very attractive mare by the way - could we have some pics of Debbie and Red too please plus any other members of your family when you have the time (sounds as though you might be a bit busy! LOL!!)

Oh Anna. Thank you for reminding about the little "hussy mares" who let stallions cover them even though they're pregnant, I'm thinking she is not reallky far away from foaling either, but new pictures should give us a bit more information!

And yes! Show us the others as well! We LOVE pictures here!

I agree ladies that she is probably pregnant just not so sure as to when
default_smile.png
Hopefully we will see some changes in the next few weeks that will give us a better idea.
default_thumbup.gif

Hi, "I'm a goner" lol...I think you are right actually! I think I might have miscalculated her due date. That really makes sense to me now. hmmmm....I really want to get out and get more pictures for you all...hopefully tomorrow sometime I can find some time. Thank you for all of your input. I don't know of hardly anyone with minis (the closest person is about an hour and 15 minutes from us. I really love Josie, but one of my main reasons for getting her was because I wanted to use her as a broodmare. I know she has been used as a broodmare her whole life but I am unsure of how many foals she has produced. I have only seen one picture of her with a foal at her side. I was getting really concerned that I had spent money on a mini that couldn't have babies...but I think for some reason I thought their gestation was shorter. This gives me confidence that hopefully she can produce for us. My husband is not as fond of her as I am and wants me to sell her if she isn't able to give us a foal before long.
default_sad.png
Thanks for chatting with me!! I love hearing from you all!
default_smile.png

Hi Laura,

Welcome to the nutty nursery... where abouts are you from? ok I'm confused did you say you grow MILO???? My brothers would love your farm
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

your little girl is gorgeous! love her colouring and her markings, like the others have said she looks a bit on the heavy side and you need to be careful with founder etc.
she does look pregnant to me
default_smile.png
you don't by any chance have any older udder photos at all? I know we all take pics of our mares when they start bagging up but I'm wondering in your case whether she has started bagging or if she is normally like this, some piccies may help with that side of things
default_biggrin.png

and yes please pics of your stallion and your other mare! can't wait to see daddy and aunty to be
default_smile.png

hi I think she got about 6 to 8 weeks to go she looks very close to me

oh and welcome

more photos would be great

Last edited by a moderator:
I am from NW. Yes, I am concerned with founder as well. Can you give me some advice on keeping this from happening. I have heard that spring grass can be really hard on ponies. They are free range on 20 acres of grassland. We do not grain them at all. What are signs of founder? I honestly am a little bit scared to get on here and talk about our ponies because I have read on forums on here and people can get so nasty with others about how they take care of their critters. I am no expert...but I do take care of them! I know that I have a lot to learn, though. I have only been around Quarter Horses and they seem so much easier to take care of...feet, keeping them in shape, I have never had a horse founder..... this is a whole new world for me. But I am very willing to learn!

I took some more pictures. So hopefully this will help you all help me know if she is pregnant or not. The more I look at her the more I think she may be pregnant!
default_smile.png

Underside of udder again: (not the best picture but I guess it works)

Side view of udder:

Side view of Josie:

Back view of Josie:

You have come to a safe place as we accept NO ATTITUDES here
default_smile.png
all advice is given between friends to keep these adorable minis healthy. Everybody starts somewhere so feel free to ask any questions you like.

Thanks for the new pics
default_smile.png
the last one is great and will help to see changes, try taking exactly the same angle in a few days (Foals move around a lot so their tummies change shape)

Have you tried feeling her belly for foal movement? Place you hand in front of her udder whilst she is eating or drinking. This is a great way to check if they are pregnant.

Yes she certainly is pegnant - and I dont think that she is too far away from foaling either!! Thanks for the pictures -she's such a pretty girl.

As Renee says, we are a friendly bunch here, no attitudes or such allowed, so please relax and join in with the fun and chat as we wait for 'our' girls to produce their precious babies.
default_yes.gif

But please be aware that due to the fact that this is a world wide internet connection, mistakes can be made regarding knowing whether the person we are 'talking' to is an exprienced or unexperienced horse person, so in trying to help, some posts can leave a person feeling "oh I knew that, I'm not stupid" if you understand me? Also it is not always easy to get what you are trying to say/mean when typing a post, so please realise that no offence is EVER meant when posting here on this forum!

Now regarding your lovely girl especially as it looks as though we WILL be seeing a foal before too long. When was she last wormed - if not in the last 6 weeks then I would worm her as soon as possible (the ideal is 4 weeks before a foaling date), you do know not to use Quest wormer on mini horses?? Make sure you have an Ivermectin wormer ready to give her a dose within 12 hours of her having her foal. Have a read of our 'pinned' topic concerning what is useful to have in your 'foaling kit' to keep close at hand for when the big event occurs.

You said your minis are out grazing 20 acres 24/7 (sounds like my herd!), but I take it that your stallion is separated from the girls. Have you somewhere to bring her in for foaling - barn, stall etc? You will need straw or hay for bedding, avoid shavings etc when foaling mares, plus if you start bringing her in at nights from now on this will allow you to cut down the amount of grass she is eating and you can then let her out to graze during the day. Could you perhaps bring Debbie into a stall too, so they can keep each other company? The barn/part of barn/stall that you use for foaling needs to be made foal safe - no gaps in the walls, wall down to floor level (babies are accidents waiting to happen and legs, even heads, can get trapped in all sorts of strange places!!) Make sure you have the ability to raise/hang her water bucket is some way - many a young foal has drowned in its Momma's bucket when first stumbling around trying to find it's feet soon after birth.

Do you have a salt lick and/or a good quality mineral and vitamin 'block', or can you get one? As I dont think that she is going to need much in the way of extra feed (!!), just some hay when she is in overnight, then a mineral/vitamin block would help to give her anything that she might be lacking from her grass only diet.

Sorry, as usual I seem to have woffled on - I'm well known for woffling as you will find out over the next few weeks as we wait for your sweet girl to foal. LOL!!

The pictures are great - a few more in 3 or 4 days will give us a chance to make comparisons.
default_yes.gif

Good luck and safe foaling!!

I honestly am a little bit scared to get on here and talk about our ponies because I have read on forums on here and people can get so nasty with others about how they take care of their critters.

I took some more pictures. So hopefully this will help you all help me know if she is pregnant or not. The more I look at her the more I think she may be pregnant!
default_smile.png

Underside of udder again: (not the best picture but I guess it works)

Side view of udder:

Side view of Josie:

Back view of Josie:

Let me GIVE YOU MY WORD that you will see NO ATTITUDES on this forum.
default_yes.gif
I can't speak for the other forums, but I can speak for this one, and we do not allow anyone to give any attitude at any time.

We are here to help, and become friends as we wait. We're here to answer any questions you may have about anything that you are wondering about. This is a group of friends from all over the world, and there are many, many years of experienced people here all willing to share information with you in a kind way. So have no worries about asking us anything you can think of!

Yes, you're beautiful little lady is pregnant, and looks like she's moving along very well -- already starting her udder! Very exciting! And the pictures are great and we can build on these as we watch her change!

default_thumbup.gif

Hello to you and your very pretty lady. Looking forward to seeing a little cutie!

AnnaC: I appreciate all of your advice! I have the perfect spot for her to foal in in her barn. I just need to lay straw out on the floor for her. When would you start putting her in at night? Is it safe to have Debbie in there with her even with her being so close to foaling? I would hate for Debbie to get stressed or high strung and step on baby? Josie was wormed just a few days ago with Ivermectin. Thankfully I had looked that up and researched that and found out Quest was not a good choice. We do have salt and mineral for them. Now if our farrier would just hurry and come...their hooves are getting long! Once again, I appreciate your good attitudes...I really do like advice and information in a kind way.
default_smile.png

Welcome Laura! Your little pinto mare is just beautiful!! And I agree that she is in foal! I can only add one other thing here that the others didn't mention. If your pasture has any fescue in it, you will need to take your mare off of it completely until after she foals. I live in SW Missouri and most pastures here have fescue in them. Ideally, you would want to take your bred mares off of the grass at least 60 days before foaling. But there is now a wonderful product out called Domperidone that can help mares with milk production. Just throwing that out there in case you were ever to need it.

It will be exciting to watch Josie's progress!

Latest posts

Back