Pictures of my mare...is the pregnant?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha! He does look pregnant! Eek! Any guesses on how many weeks you think she has left?

I love Josie. She is such a cutie pie. P.S. - I think your avatar photo is gorgeous!! I can't wait to see the baby.

Thanks for the great pics
default_thumbup.gif
I am a little concerned about Debbie being in with your stallion at the age of only 2, in my opinion she is far too young to be covered so you might want to think about separating them. Also Josie's tail looks dirty and wet as you said, it almost looks like she is in season, I think you might want to remove the stallion and see if that was caused by him, also it won't do her any good being covered if she is already pregnant.
default_whistling.gif
I am saying nothing about "well covered" horses as mine were far from thin
default_whistling.gif

Aunties what do you think?

Yes, I've wondered if I should move Red over to another pasture. Do minis do okay if they are in with cattle?

Most of my minis do fine with cattle, just make sure your fences are really safe between Red and the girls when you do separate them, I wouldn't want him to try to return by tackling a fence and hurting himself! And yes, he really shouldn't be in with young Debbie, although by now she may already be in foal. She's a lovely looking little girl - love her markings too! She also looks very mature for a two year old - is it possible she might be older??

As far as Josie is concerned, she does look as though she might be in foal - best thing you can do is to take another/more pics of her udder in about 5 days, then post them here and we can see if there is any development.
default_yes.gif
She is overweight and you do need to be careful about this. My minis also get overweight during the summer months with all the grass we have here, but they are 'hard/firm' over weight, not 'pudgy' overweight, if you understand me, and Josie looks a bit on the pudgy side to me (sorry!). She really needs to be a bit fitter before this foal arrives. How much exercise does she take during the day? She is such an attractive mare and I love the pics of her with your young daughter. I'm so hoping that she will produce a foal for you.

Dont forget the new udder pics in around 5 days - thanks.

No offense taken! haha...I know she's fat! The only exercise she gets it what she does on her own out in the pasture. I will see them all run across the pasture every once in a while. Any advice on exercise at this point?

And yes...I am pretty sure Debbie is only two. She has done a lot of filling out just in the past year and has gained a lot of height. So I know she was young because we could really see her growth. She is already quite a bit taller than the other two.

You could start taking her for walks once a day -- to make her take some exercise. Some mares are just so lazy, and forget they should be out running in the field! But, a walk once a day would be good for her.

How 'bout a picture of just Debbie? She looks so pretty...how tall is she? As Anna said, she could be in foal now, but I've bred several 2 year olds for their first baby at 3, and had good luck. You just have to look at their maturity, and she looks good. But I'd love to see a picture of just her!

I did post a picture of her....do you want a different view? I never took into consideration that she could be pregnant too...hmmm... I actually did look at Debbie's udder a few days ago just to compare/contrast hers from Josie's and it was very small.

Well....I should be taking walks with Josie too than! I am 22 weeks pregnant and need to be walking anyway. The two of us can waddle down the road together. It just gets hard to find time to exercise with three littles in tow. I'm not sure how I would go about going on a walk with a stroller and a mare...hmmmm.... might have to find a time to do that when hubby is home. Farmers have crazy hours...so it is hard to plan for things like that.

Congratulations to you, too, then!

I very much understand having little ones in tow. I used to have Katy holding one hand, Tommy holding the other hand, a front-pack carrying Jon, and a back-pack carrying Ben (the twins) and off to the grocery we would go with me pushing the cart! At that point there were only 4 and they were all under the age of 5 -- so I understand completely! LOL

The walks would do good for both you and Josie. Perhaps hubby could find a little time to let you get a walk in each day -- which would also give you a little break from the little ones and let you breathe. I used to love the little break I took to walk around my neighborhood after dinner while my hubby (ex) did a little "baby-sitting". For me, it was exercise as I needed to lose a little "baby-fat" -- but I sure enjoyed it. I'm sure Josie will be a good listener, too!

I agree Diane either with or without the kids a walk will be good for both of you
default_smile.png
do you have safe lanes you can go down? How about bikes for the kids? Mine had a bike that had a handle for me to push them when they were little. I bet Josie will be fine with bikes/stroller, minis are very patient with kids once they learn, maybe leave the kids with hubby for a while and take her out with an empty stroller to see how she reacts?

How about a pic of you and your kids
default_smile.png

Congrats again about your pregnancy (sorryi'd forgotten!) Yes walking would be great for both of you and if you can leave the kiddies with hubby for half an hour or so, as Diane said, it can also be a bit of peaceful time!

If you are not sure how Red will be with the cattle for the moment, could you bring Debbie into a stall at night near/with Josie and have Red out during the night time, putting him in a stall with some hay/feed for the day when the girls are having their outside time?

Would love to see some more pics of Red, Debbie and your other family members.
default_yes.gif

Here's some more pictures of Josie! Any ideas if she is getting closer or not? Maybe it was my imagination but she seemed irritable today. She seems to have really popped out in the last few days. (once again...maybe my imagination??) I think her bag has come down more too? hmmm...

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember right this is a picture of her that her previous owner's sent me of her right before she had her last baby. I think she may have foaled within a few days...if not the very next day.

Hi Laura and welcome back
default_smile.png
how are you doing? Thanks for the pics
default_thumbup.gif
Judging by her "wide load" look and her udder she doesn't look like she is due yet but remember that these things can change fast. Did you manage to remove Red?

default_sad.png
most of the pics except for the post #53 to here are gone!! I can't see your pics.

What a pretty little mare!! This forum is a great one for help. Congrats on your the little one you are getting ready to have - hopefully should be a really nice baby!

Would love to see the other two minis.

Latest posts

Back