Our 288 day baby!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so happy for you. I was praying for a healthy foal for you and your mare. He is so cute and what a pretty head. Congrats!!!!

Alisha

Congrats on your baby boy! Good job!
default_aktion033.gif

Congratulations to you and bless your heart for working so hard to get this little guy here safe and sound!
default_wub.png
default_smile.png
He sure is a cutie!

Congratulations!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah I was praying she'd go long enough to give you a viable foal! He's a cutie....definately looks premie but you're doing a great job!

Shauna- So glad to see your little guy arrived safely! Thanks for sharing pictures of him. Can't wait till he gets a little stronger and you can show us some updated pictures. I guess he just had a mind of his own and wanted to come into this world on his own terms. Have fun and enjoy him!

This is amazing news and I am so relieved for you.

He's a little 'fire cracker' - well done to you and I can't wait to read the updates.

He sure is a cute little guy! I hope that the IgG level comes back OK and that he gets strong soon so you can finally get some sleep with him nursing on his own!

Congrats!

Barb

CONGRATS SHAUNA..........

I have been out of town working each day, so have missed the forum. So GLAD he made it okay, such good good news!

Keep us up to date - he should straigten up, that is not so bad. Many full term babies look like that, just their being so refined.

Beth

Oh oh oh oh OH!!!!!!! I didn't see your post until just now!!!!!!
love0034.gif

Your new boy is SO precious!!!!!!!!!!! What a cutie cutie!!! BIG congratulations on that LITTLE boy!!!!
love0075.gif

Hi Shauna

Hoping that your little guy continues to improve and get stronger and stronger - keep us all posted -- we are rooting for you!

Stacy

Good job, and what a pretty boy! Sounds like you have it all under control
default_smile.png
, as long as he keeps up his obvious will to live he's certainly headed in the right direction.

As to his legs, this was also a red bag baby with issues, not so premie as yours but very wobbly. She matured to be a Regional & Honor Roll Champion, and a World Champion producer, so keep the faith with your boy LOL! I've saved this picture to reassure myself when I have babies like this, that things WILL be okay.
default_smile.png

Bowfoalpicture.jpg

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
OH!!! He is so sweet! Congratulations!!!

Make sure to ask your vet about giving him Probiotics and Serimmune.

Keep milking the mare and feeding him every hour.

Keep pancake syrup on hand it helps keep blood sugars up.

Robin

Oh, what a beautiful baby boy!!! Congratulations and JOB WELL DONE!

With the few preemies I have had, like yours, nursing was the big issue. Seems if you can keep them going for a few days they then take off like gangbusters.

He really shouldn't be coughing so I'd watch that REAL close since he is being hand fed....always a danger there of aspiration pneumonia which is easy to fix with pennicillin if you are right on top of it. Might be a good idea to have the vet listen to his lungs.

I'll be watching this anxiosly for 'good news' updates!

Charlotte

Oh Shauna, I am so glad he came out ok. I kept checking then forum, hoping he would wait long enough to be born, to be fine. He is soooooooooooo cute!!
default_wub.png

Thanks for sharing him with us. I cant wait to hear the name you've picked for such a special one...

Keep us updated...

Missy
default_smile.png

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and well-wishes.

He is hanging in there but had a rough afternoon and night. My husband is giving him about a 20 - 40% chance of making it at this point. Our little guy got weaker throughout the day yesterday. We knew he would go downhill quickly if he went but wow, it's fast. I had to leave to pick up the plasma and some supplies for the transfusion from a local equine hospital and when I got back he was pretty much flat out. I'm so exhausted right now that the details are getting fuzzy but once he started crashing he slid really fast. My husband (with phone help from a fantastic equine vet - thank you Dr. Johnson!) gave him a plasma transfusion and started him on various meds. We changed his antibiotics to Gentamycin and Ampicillin. He gets Mannitol IV every 10 minutes for swelling in his brain. He started seizing around 6pm so he is getting Valium. He has pneumonia and is septic. He has been on antibiotics since he was born but once he went septic we had to change them.

However, in the midst of all this he started sucking!! He seems to be a little stronger to me this morning. He hasn't opened his eyes since about 1am
default_sad.png
although he does go through struggling fits so I know he's in there. He's literally been in mine or my husband's arms since last night and right now I am sitting on shaving bales in his stall with him in my lap so I can give his 10 minute injections and keep him from hurting himself when he flails. My 1 year old daughter is asleep in her playpen here in the stall too - thank goodness mama Whitney is being very level-headed about the whole thing. I really don't want to seperate him from his mama but if he continues like this I guess we'll have to bring him inside. We stayed out here last night and are making it work for now but with the kids and work I can't be in the stall 24 hours.

Thank you Stacy (Mountain Meadows) for all your help yesterday!

Whitney_colt_Gabriel2_2_24_09.jpg

My husband taking a turn - I am so proud of him for jumping in and giving this everything he has, he's never been comfortable working with the minis (he's a small animal vet) but he is pulling out all the stops for this one

Whitney_colt_Charlie_2_25_09.jpg

Our own little NICU

Whitney_colt_Shauna_transfuse_2_25_.jpg

I fell asleep for a few minutes despite my efforts not to, I swore I didn't but he got proof
default_rolleyes.gif
It was actually a really comfy bed

Whitney_colt_Shauna_sleep_2_25_09.jpg

Latest posts

Back