Our 288 day baby!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaunaL

Reaction score
As most of you know, Whitney started dripping milk almost 2 weeks ago at around 273 days gestation, she's been on Regumate, SMZs and Banamine to hold things off as long as possible. Well, last night I KNEW she wasn't going to hold off any longer - let's just say this mare is NOT sneaky
default_laugh.png
I had been worried that since she was restless, dripping milk, mushy, etc for so long I wouldn't be able to tell when she was about to foal. Not an issue, she practically held up a flashing sign
default_laugh.png

She paced and stared and pawed and up and down for about 4 hours until 1 am when she started pushing. I knew pretty soon we would either have a red bag or a malpositioned foal - she was pushing but nothing was coming for awhile. I could feel a huge round thing, the only thing that kept me from panicking completely was it just didn't feel quite like a butt, too round and smooth. It was a red bag but by the time it appeared I knew that's what it was going to be so I was ready and felt pretty calm
default_new_shocked.gif
I already had the scissors out and as soon as I opened it and pulled a bit he slid right out! What a relief!! Yep, HE, a tiny tiny little chestnut colt!! He walks right under his 28" mama
default_wub.png
He started shaking his head and flailing around as soon as he was out - what a tough little guy
default_wub.png

He is doing well so far, better than I expected
default_smile.png
While waiting for her to foal last night I ran her last breeding date through a calculator just for fun and realized she was actually 2 days less than I thought she was - I must have figured it from the first breeding date last year
default_rolleyes.gif
So he was born at 288 to 290 days.

He does have a few issues - main one so far is that he doesn't really suck, just kind of gums the nipple. I got a lot of colostrum down him with a syringe within about an hour. He is nursing some, he just can't get a good latch so when he wobbles he loses it. I am feeding him as well. He is VERY windswept and weak in the legs. He walks on his fetlocks, which I imagine is normal for an early one. As of this morning he still shakes and falls so much that standing still to nurse is a problem, esp with not latching well. We gave him antibiotics right away. His eyes are pretty swollen and bloodshot. He didn't seem to be a tight squeeze so I guess this is from the red bag? He is coughing a bit
default_unsure.png
which is worrisome but we are watching him closely.

He is a crack-up already - tons of fire and attitude just like his mama
default_wub.png
He gets frustrated when he tries to nurse and makes the cutest little squeals and grunts, smacks mama in the side and tries to buck
default_laugh.png

I am so thankful to all of you here - you saved her baby's life several times over! It was here that I learned what meds to put her on, what to look out for and how to handle a red bag so thanks you guys!!

About an hour old

Whitney_colt_2_24_09.jpg

this morning

Whitney_colt_down_2_24_09.jpg

he props his legs against eachother to stay up

Whitney_colt_legs_2_24_09.jpg

I love how refined and upright and tiny he is!!!
default_wub.png

Whitney_colt_side_2_24_09.jpg

default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Whitney_head_legs_2_24_09.jpg

For those who would like to see mama's FACE this time
default_laugh.png
here are sire and dam

Little King's Prince Echo (Little King's Buck Echo X Aaprina In Buck Commander Jhenla) X Star Farms Whitney (Sierra Dawn Uno de Mayo daughter)

making my little guy a Buck Echo/Uno de Mayo grandson
default_wub.png

LittleKingsPrinceEcho2.jpg
StarFarmsWhitney_side.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wahoo!!! congratulations!!! He is adorable!! I like his head! I hope he strengthens up for you real soon!! Wayy too cute. Please keep us updated!

A big congratulations!!!!! That little guy was worth all the stress.
default_smile.png

I'm sure he's premature, so keep doing what you are. Many times they have a suck reflex but not the ability to 'latch and hold'. Just make sure he is getting plenty to eat. Hourly. He should be able to latch on in a day or two. Also make sure is doesn't get too cold. Keep a check on his body temperature. Even if it's in the 60's outside, he could still be cold. If they are cold they get lethargic and don't want to wake up and nurse. I noticed the blankets, so keep that up.

Keep us posted!

SHAUNA!!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!
default_laugh.png
How exciting to have such a pretty little boy come after all the drama. I am glad to hear you say that your girl got even more demonstrative when the time came, I had also been worried about that with Flirty. Congratulations, and now at least maybe you can get a LITTLE more rest, eh? :D

Congratulations and good job!! He is a cutie
default_wub.png

So glad he made it here safely!!!
default_aktion033.gif
Congratulations, I'm sure this is a huge weight off your shoulders. He is beautiful, I can't wait to see pics once his legs strengthen up some, he's gonna be a knock out!
default_wub.png

Thanks everyone! I'm so in love with this gorgeous little guy and SOOOO relieved he is here alive! Whitney is doing great, she is the best mom. I just got back from meeting our lab guy with his blood for the IgG so we should have results on that this afternoon.

A big congratulations!!!!! That little guy was worth all the stress.
default_smile.png

I'm sure he's premature, so keep doing what you are. Many times they have a suck reflex but not the ability to 'latch and hold'. Just make sure he is getting plenty to eat. Hourly. He should be able to latch on in a day or two. Also make sure is doesn't get too cold. Keep a check on his body temperature. Even if it's in the 60's outside, he could still be cold. If they are cold they get lethargic and don't want to wake up and nurse. I noticed the blankets, so keep that up.

Keep us posted!
His due date is still 6 weeks away. He is trying harder to suck now so I think he'll get it once he's stronger. He tires so quickly (and wears himself out by being a wild boy), it's hard to keep him up long enough to try very long. We tried bottles but that didn't work so we are syringe-feeding him and that seems to work. He swallows once the milk is in his mouth. I'm so glad to hear he should catch on soon!

We had SO MUCH trouble keeping him warm at first! He just shivered and shivered and was freezing to the touch, even with the blanket. We ended up laying him down under two heatlamps, blanketed, with warm towels and warm IV bags packed all around him. That warmed him up and he has done better since then. He's still a little cold, even with the blanket and heatlamps on. It's pretty warm out so it must just be a maturity issue.

Click Mini, I sure hope your girl gives you as much warning. I think since you've been watching her like I have mine you can tell when they are acting differently. Plus the halter monitors are great! I was already halfway to her stall when hers went off but it would have given me plenty of time to get there had I been asleep. So I feel pretty confident in those now
default_smile.png

default_aktion033.gif
:yeah Congrats on your Miracle Boy!!! It sure does look and sound as if he's a premie..... Thank heavens you were on the watch for a problem.

Congratulations ..I am glad everything worked out ok and you have a beautiful colt..I love his head
default_wub.png

Congratulations Shauna! He's a real beauty!
default_wub.png

All the things you're describing are really normal for such an early one and you're doing a GREAT job of giving the extra care he needs.
default_aktion033.gif
Having trouble regulating his temp is really common for such a young one. Also the weak legs. Our Poopy actually walked on the front of her hooves
default_new_shocked.gif
at first. I'd never seen that before and my first reaction was that all of her legs were broken!
default_laugh.png
The vet was like calm down, it's normal and the least of our worries!! Sure enough, legs straight as an arrow and a national top ten as a weaner to prove it.
default_wink.png

You're little guy looks like a real winner!
default_firstprize.gif
You deserve something good after the year you've had. Keep us posted.

Congratuations, what a cutie pie. I hope he continues to improve. Have you picked a name? Please keep all of us posted on how he is doing.
default_smile.png

[SIZE=12pt]Oh my goodness congratulations..... [/SIZE]

Make certain that you keep providing him with nutrition on a regular hourly basis. I had one like that a couple of years ago and I milked the dam every hour and syringe feed the foal for a 24 hour period until the foal "Monarch" was strong enough to pull his legs together and nurse on his own without any difficulty.

My prayers are with you and your little one....

Latest posts

Back