ohmygod!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rabbitsfizz, I'm looking at the Staplefordhackneystud.com website and I see pretty extreme spoon cruppers and overchecks on their hackneys at their National Show. This does not mesh with what you say about the UK not using any of these practices. I am not familiar with showing hackneys in Europe, what am I seeing in these photos that I'm misunderstanding?

Edited to add:

This video is of one of their two year old stallions being shown, he has his tail set and is wearing a tight overcheck. Horses with set tails usually wear bustles or some sort of tail sets other than just in the show ring...

Last edited by a moderator:
Disney Horse you are very correct, tail looked awful and pony out of control even having such a tight side check.

rtsp://v8.cache4.c.youtube.com/CjYLENy73wIaLQl3nPVrkALUuBMYJCAkFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSARSBXdhdGNoYM6Eg6_T0ZyxUAw=/0/0/0/video.3gp

Also, when tails are docked or ligaments cut the horse ends up with a poopy mess of a tail when out to pasture because they can't lift it to get it out of the way.
Draft horses with docked tails can lift them to poop just the same way a regular horse can... friends raised and showed Percherons for year and every one of those horses could definitely lift its tail....

Interesting video --the pony is shod up and wearing a check, in spite of what rabbitsfizz says about none of that being allowed.

I agree the tail is poorly done but I don't see anything out of control --they are simply trotting him out more than we see here. Frankly I like that better. Here too often the handlers sneak along like they are afraid to let the pony trot properly. I know they're trying to keep the pony all tucked up and stepping higher, but I personally like seeing some forward movement too.

I had an older modern shetland mare with cut tail ligaments (I have no idea what show barn she was in twenty years prior) as well as numerous drafts with docked tails and none of them had issues with poopy tails.

I will say that in the modern Shetlands, altered tails are now maybe the minority. Every breed has its thing... But I'm doubting you will see tail altering in the minis since "natural" is more an emphasis in our rule books.

Minimor... I was drooling over those Stapleford ponies... I didn't think he looked too out of control. I'd be in way better shape if I had to show like that though! I like that they have to have a couple handlers to pass the baton to because they can't keep up with him, and he really gets to strut his stuff as the champion! I love the grassy fields they get to show in, too.

Draft horses tails were traditionally docked to save time when harnessing. They were used for work and teamsters did whatever they needed to do to make their jobs easier. There was a practicle point to the procedure. Other breeds it is done to "make the horse more beautiful". Not my opinion though. Kinda like the dead tails in the stock breeds. I like "happy, relaxed tails"
Draft tails were not docked for ease in harnessing, they were docked because there is nothing more horrifying than the sight of a long tail that has wrapped itself into farm equipment and been ripped out. Draft people who are using their draft horses for farm work will still dock for just this reason.

Draft tails were not docked for ease in harnessing, they were docked because there is nothing more horrifying than the sight of a long tail that has wrapped itself into farm equipment and been ripped out. Draft people who are using their draft horses for farm work will still dock for just this reason.

Same reason cattle tails are docked. Most large farms have automatic scrapers now for manure, pens are cleaned every 10 minutes! When they lay down in the stalls however, their tails "dangle," and few things are more horrifying to see or more painful to the animal than a scraper slowing de-gloving a tail.

I think as stewards, we need to be RESPONSIBLE for out actions. If you alter tails, you better keep a fly sheet on your horse, loaded with flyspray, etc. Don't turn heifers out with docked tails either, that's just a pretty low thing to do. Don't think every docking/whatever is done in a cruel manner either - and don't rely on youtube, PETA, or HSUS to see how its done. I think the bands left on for a long period of time is absolutely horrible personally. BUT, the American public seems to think a rotting piece of meat flopping aruond for days or weeks is kinder than leaving the band on a day or two to kill nerves and blood supply, then lopping it off

I could go on about the CONSTANT misinformation about agriculture, and practices such as this for DAYS. For some reason, we listen to the guy with the pretty big garden and 4 chickens about our food instead of the 4th generation farmer in the business for 30 years, but thats just as much producers not wanting to be open, most of which is because the guy with "4 chickens and a pretty big garden" constantly thinks they know more than the farmer does. itch scratch cycle.

Please, THINK before you automatically point the cruelty finger. For beautification only purposes? I am SO against causing undue pain, however, a LOT of the practices mentioned here, in passing and head on, all come from a direct function, and things would go very bad if the practice wasn't done.

I would rather see more collection and cadence. Hence my term for more out of control. If you use Disney Horses's link, look down a couple and see Heartland Heartbreaker. The link I tried to post. He has collection and cadence, yet a very forward movement.

Well, the colt IS only two. That's a tough age for horses
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back