ohmygod!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic Marker Minis

Reaction score
Just saw 'fancy turnout - youth' at Nationals - class 71. The horse pulling the 4-wheel cart looks like it has a broken tail... Entry 1540. Please tell me they're not doing that to the shetlands...

Oh, thank god! But you do remember the broken tails of (I think) the saddlebreds from way back... Scared me to death! I was getting ready to go on the warpath!!!! lol!

It's called a tail cap... A wig affixed to the crupper or sometimes even electrical taped to a pony's tail if they are shown in halter without tack.

Some ponies (modern shetland or hackney) do have the ligaments of their tails surgically cut... They are not "broken"... It's a practice that I consider akin to the draft horses that have their tails docked...

You most likely will never see this with a mini though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, that's just not right... If you have to surgically alter a horse (cosmetically), than you shouldn't have a horse... I'm starting to fume! Now, I am on the warpath!

Well, tell that to the majority of Percheron, Belgian, and Clydesdale breeders then.

I feel the same way there, too and I feel the same way about 'firing' a Walker's heels...

Heck, I don't even agree with dairies cutting the end off of the cow's tails just so they don't get dirty.

There's a lot of "stuff" done to animals of all types, especially for showing and there is much of it that's a shame and some that is actually illegal by the rules but still gotten away with. I you want to show you don't HAVE to do that stuff. Just enjoy your animals. Some say you have to do some things to be in the ribbons or win big, but that's not always the case. And what's a ribbon or trophy really-a dust collector. The main thing should be the pleasure and satisfaction of working with your animal and feeling the two of you have accomplished what you set out to do, placing or not.

Well, tell that to the majority of Percheron, Belgian, and Clydesdale breeders then.
I'm not out to point fingers at anyone but I do think it's sad when a tail is altered. The tail serves a purpose as a fly swatter. Also, when tails are docked or ligaments cut the horse ends up with a poopy mess of a tail when out to pasture because they can't lift it to get it out of the way. In a perfect world all horses would be shown as they are. Natural movement, natural coat, natural tails. But... this is far from a perfect world.

I hear ya! But at Nationals (at least) they are fake tails. A cage/cap like thing they attach that has big tails/hair.

Yes these are hair pieces meant to make the pony look like he has a high tail carriage. I am not familiar with any breed having the tail bones actually "broken" but I do know many draft breeds dock (cut off) the lower portion of the tail and many gaited breeds "set" tails by cutting tendons to allow for a high carriage. These tails either get set in a spoon with a bracing harness or sometimes horses under saddle get the tail tied up with shoe string. Many western pleasure horses' tails are "deadened" so they cannot swish or move their tail. All diciplines have their pros and cons. Some people do not agree with it and others hail it as tradition or breed standard anogolus to docking puppy tails and cropping ears. At one point in the breeds' history these methods may have served a purpose (like grabbing fox terriors by the tail from outside the fox hole). While many breed standards change as the social climate changes, some practices are continued as a means of preserving heritage. Most breed and show associations have regulations and standards to prevent cruelty. If the alteration is perfotmed humanely by a vet and is condoned by the breed assiciation, I have no problem with it. Doesnt mean I am going to go chop all of my ponies tails off. But I wont holler at exhibitors who show horses like this. I do alert show management when someone is breaking a rule and being cruel (tieing horses heads up so as to tire the neck or tie the foot to the belly to slow the gait). Just remember that just because you do not agree with something does not make it wrong. Always ask about something before 'going on the war path' Obviously some things are considered in humane by the registries but not what I see here.

Draft horses tails were traditionally docked to save time when harnessing. They were used for work and teamsters did whatever they needed to do to make their jobs easier. There was a practicle point to the procedure. Other breeds it is done to "make the horse more beautiful". Not my opinion though. Kinda like the dead tails in the stock breeds. I like "happy, relaxed tails"

I dont kow what happened to Peach but when i got her... she hung her tail to the left side and it was clamped , or stuck in that position , then as you got closer to her she shook and almost sat down. you couldnt touch her from the hip back and down to the hoof without her shaking violently and almost sitting down. thats all in the past now , but someone did something to her tail that traumatised her for a long time ;(

Just because a tail has been nicked, doesn't mean they can't swish their tails. Horses that have had tails altered and can't swish (Disneyhorse please step in), is either an extreme measure or a poor job.

A himane brace is used these days as mentioned previously. The tail is slipped through the brace and electrical taped on, then a wig/cap/tail is placed over that and tied to the brace/tail. And occassionally they do slip during class.

Going to add my two penn'orth to this- no tails docked on horses in the UK since 1948, no ears cropped on dogs in the UK since (I think) 1943, no tails docked on any non working breed (and then they are not allowed in the show ring) since April 2006. Pretty sure all docking of dogs now illegal in Europe (apart form working breeds, but just wait we are still working on that one!) and most countries (all EU countries) now ban the docking of horses tails. This was done on humane grounds, under the Animal Welfare Act that was put together by the Humane Societies from all the involved countries. As far as I can see, cruelty is cruelty, it is not governed by International boundaries, and nor is it open to negotiation. If these practices were found and agreed to be cruel by all these countries then, as far as I am concerned, they are cruel.

As to the false tail thing- I cannot see the point, not at all. I thought it was a horse show, not a fancy dress parade. If the playing field were leveled and no false hair were to be allowed, as with AMHA, then it would all settle down very quickly. Surely you would wish your horse to be judged on what is actually your horse not on bits of another horse you have added on?

The park classes follow the gaited saddlebred/hackney look and requirements of the show ring. It is a formal class with formal requirements.

Don't like it, don't show that class or division.

Not being from the UK, can you tell us how the hackney horses and ponies are shown in regards to their tails? Do they have braces? Are they kept in tailsets?

Who cares about the dogs, that isn't the conversation. You only mention docking. So how are their tails done?

Well, I certainly care about the dogs, sorry- and it was mentioned in passing as well!

The UK Hackneys are shown with a small spoon under their tails, the height of which is strictly governed. Since very few people here can remember a time when horses were allowed to be docked full tails are not only the accepted norm, but also look really good. They are not kept in tail sets, why would they be? I doubt it would be allowed anyway- the weight of their shoes is also strictly governed and shoes are routinely pulled and weighed.

Spoon cruppers are also used, but how do you think tails are kept flexible to be turned up at that angle without discomfort?

I also meant to ask if you are against the practices of showing hackney horses/ponies with cruppers.

Try this. Lay your hand flat on a table . . . Comfortable, the let it hang over the side of the table, still comfortable? Now pull your fingers and hand up and backwards as close to 90 degress. Now a little more. Hurts doesn't it. Now if you keep stretching and working it, it isn't as painful or uncomfortable.

So you are telling me tails are not flexed or trained to be at this angle to make it more comfortable and obtain the required tail sets.

As for the miniatures trying to follow the real horse world, attempting to be like "gaited" in formal classes, then the false tail is required.

Putting on a false tail is an art, and when you attempt to put a brace on something so small it may not work and look awkward ie: broken, but it is how the crupper must lay to achieve that bump.

Latest posts

Back