Odette *colt*, Britt *colt*.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome back Karina
default_smile.png
I might just get 2 blue roan foals this year
default_smile.png

I tested Odette and she has gone back to 7.2 I think it is cos she misses Britt so much
default_sad.png
if only it would stop raining, I could bring her home too.

I am off to bed now as it has been a busy day, could someone let me know if they see Merlin poop or look upset, I had a good look through the straw but I couldn't see any poo so I gave him an enema and still nothing. I will put my alarm for a few hours time to go and check.

Thanks my friends

Welcome home Eagle - so great to have you back safe and sound.
default_thumbup.gif

You must be thrilled and so relieved to have him back again Renee. If you take Britt and Merlin back to join the others, does this mean we shall lose the cam as you will soon be needing it for Odette?

If your weather doesn't improve, you could always pop Britt and Merlin in the horse box drive up through Europe, zoom through the tunnel, get to the M4 and bring them to me - we have warm sunshine forecast for all this week and I would happily welcome them into one of my paddocks!! LOL!! Well I can hope cant I?
default_whistling.gif

I have just given him some pain meds and another enema as he was rolling quite a bit. How often should something this small poop?

I was so amazed at how often Cam pooped...but my vet suggested an enema... pretty much insisted on an enema the morning after he was born....i think I gave him his first one that night. I havent been able to see your little one much but i could have sworn I too saw him, a couple times, take up the liitle poop stance. guess Ive missed a couple posts b/c I didnt realize he wasnt feeling to well.

I haven't seen him straining at all but he looked in pain as he was stamping his back legs and rolling. His poop yesterday was nice and soft so I am a bit stumped!

Thanks Diane, his last poop was yellow/brown so I know he has passed his meconium. He seems in pain poor baby
default_sad.png

Thank you so much Diane, i am still so frightened Britt and I might loose him, I am acting like an Italiam mum
default_sad.png

NO he is only just warm and has had rugs on always as it is really cold here. Since I put the heat lamp up he has stopped shaking though.

I am sure you are worried after everything that has happened. Our last little guy born has been doing some rolling too and I got concerned. But my vet said as long as he is nursing and keeping the udder down and acting normal
default_eat.gif
, sleep, play, pee and repeat, then he is fine and long as it is not excessive rolling or straining. She said it is more important to watch them pee which you will see every time they get up to nurse. She said you can tell by the color if they are getting enough food. Clear means plenty hydration.

As Diane said baby poop tends to get lost in the bedding very easily. The only way we ever see it is when we are cleaning and there is a flat pancake of soiled bedding. That is the baby poo. Whether shavings or straw it gets trampled and flattened and the bedding sticks to it like glue.

No worries Diane. Thanks Sandy, I feel better now. He pees often and is addicted to the milk bar and judging by his performance just now he seems very happy
default_smile.png

It is nearly 1.00am and I am getting sleepy, he seems to have settled down but please call me if you think I should go out there. Thank you so much.

Sorry I have been busy again and missed your concerns Renee. i dont think you want to keep giving him enemas - could they upset the natural bugs that should be in his bowel by now???? Also babies do not poo that often - not enough 'waste material' going through their systems as Momma's milk is all good stuff and not much waste stuff!

Could Britt be coming into her foal heat? Is his poo beginning to look more yellow in colour? Could this be causing him a little upset in his tummy? Just throwing out suggestions here!

As Diane said, he could have just found out how to roll and be trying out this new adventure? Or he might just be feeling itchyunder his rugs not because he is too warm or anything, but just because he does!

And no! You are not being silly worrying about him! You have worked so hard to give this little one his life, of course you are going to be aware of practically every move he makes - this is what makes you such a brilliant Grandma to him.
default_yes.gif

Interestingly I had a 'first time' discovery today. My little elderly Heidi has been rugged all winter, with the rug coming off to give her a break (and a chance to roll and itch) whenever it looked as though the warm sunshine was going to last all day and I could get the rug back on before it rained again. Well the last couple of weeks we have had some really bad downpours, especially at night, with the occasional bright, warm spell for just a couple of hours during some of the days. No way could I remove the rug even though the daytime temps were often quite warm. Yesterday I finally took the rug off for the last time - she felt just comfortably warm and had a lovely thick smooth white coat underneath, oh she looked so clean. LOL!! Anyway I took the rug away to brush off all the white hairs - rug felt perfectly dry inside and out to my touch but when I actually started to 'pummel' at it to get the hairs off, my hand got damp! The rug was actually quite wet 'inside'!! Now I'm sure little Heidi never felt other than slightly warm under the rug every day when I felt her, and her body and coat were always bone dry, but somehow she must have been getting a bit too warm on occasion and the rug had drawn away the moisture into its centre, I'm not sure if it is a beatheable rug (can the waterproof ones be breatheable) or whether it was 'breathing' the moisture away through its waterproof layer, but I have never found a rug to be so very dry to my normal touch, light brush, only to find it quite wet when I hammered at it!!?? My point is that maye you should check little Merlin's rugs just to make sure the under one is perfectly dry!! (Heidi today is now filthy dirty with a lot of screwed up hair, the pest, and I have a field covered with white hair coz I was following her around with my comb for an hour or more combing out handfuls of white hair for her. LOL!!

Off to check on Merlin again.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome home Eagle ... you were missed.

Are you resting better now with him home?

Wish I could help watch the punkin' but my one entry into M/S

was short lived, hasn't let me in again.

Will look forward to new photos.

I have had the cam up all day and seen you lovingly tending to your little baby through all hours of your day and night. He is now up for a meal
default_thumbup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
so glad that Eagle is home safe and sound. like Megan,. I have the camera up all day.

will be out for a bout an hour now as I have to do the banking, will let you know when I am back.

sleep well Renee.

little Merlin just got up had a little drink and is lying back down again... nibbling the straw, but looks comfy he is not under the heat lamp....

ok I'm heading out, be back asap

just had a few little rolls, he is playing with his blanket. and another roll...

So great to hear that Eagle is home
default_thumbup.gif

Now Merlin, stop upsetting your human mum
default_thumbdown.gif
It's not nice!

Latest posts

Back