Nine Miniature Horses need rescuing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey - quick update here....

I have FINALLY gotten a number from someone monitoring this whole situation for an actual human at CNN. Only problem is that he won't be there until 7 AM. And i WILL be calling. Also, I have a radio station in New York who are hot in pursuit of some contacts or some way to help us. I have some friends that work as paramedics outside New Orleans and they are looking into whether they can contact MS and get some medical help directed that way at the least. They are all SUPER busy as you all know, but they are going to try...

I faxed press releases to all of the media that I have contact information for that we normally deal with and I hope they all pick it up.

Dorrie & Frank said:
We can take people and horses - may spread the horses out a bit but only to mini places with good care.  Our only problem is that there is no easy way there from Houston unless we drive through Tennsesee and Kentucky because I10 is desroyed between there and here.  Have we heard from the AMHA Regional directors regarding the situation - come on Sid and Mike - you are needed in this situation - don't be politicians - we've got too many of those!
459931[/snapback]

I got through to Mike Rosauer - he is without power but always willing to help. He will be working with us tomorrow to try and find a way into waveland. Also, got ahold of Debbie Mooney - director in Florida who is making calls for me. Mike's cell phone is working sometimes and he will stay in touch with me on this one.

im just going to do a small update before i get off here for a bit. I know people dont want to go all the way back and read every page

The state of mississippi IS NOT letting ANY animal rescues thru yet. They will not let anyone thru until all humans are helped first. then dairy cattle, then equines. So even though we have volunteers to go get the horses and help we cannot send them until the dept of transportation says they can go thru.

We know CNN can get thru LOL so that is why we are asking everyone to email them and put pressure on them to do something.

kay

If anyone is going and needs another helper, Jerry can hold down the fort and I can go with you and meet up with you someplace. I'm free to travel right now, just can't drive. I"m good help and used to these things.

aktion033.gif
WOW...I am REALLY IMPRESSED! You guys are right on top of all this! I have been sitting in the dark for most of the day with the power out...it finally came back on, and I came to this.

I already sent a donation to the Lone Star Equine Rescue, and was going to also send to Red Cross, but I went to their site, and I cannot find any place that they will accept PayPal. Since CC is pretty much maxed out, I guess I will have to pass on that one. I will make a donation in the name of the MS minis though, to Chances. I hope and pray we can get some way of getting food and water to them in time.

I have emailed CNN, wasnt sure which email to send my concerns to, what email address is everyone else using. Please everyone email, these horses have been without since Monday, lets apply the heat hot and heavy.

I keep seeing all the destruction in Mississipi and New Orleans on TV. Reading this forum puts it even closer and more personal perspective. I wish I could do more than send money but hopefully that will help. This forum is awesome and it is so wonderful to see how people stick together and help one another. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

I've been following the whole crisis on the 24 hour News, over here. I just do not understand what is going on. It's been FOUR days, why is the government not on top of this, they knew it was coming. Where is the organisation?? Where is the sense in not allowing straightforward, in and out rescue, irrespective of the recipients?? This is NOT criticism, that is the last thing needed at this time, but these are questions that need to be asked. It has been FOUR - well FIVE now, days. What in the name of all that's Holy is going on??? In the middle of the richest country in the world are scenes that are parallelled only in Africa and Indonesia.

Right, I'm off the e-mail CNN!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]I sent an email to CNN hopefully someone will help to at least get water to them. I wish to get them all out of there.[/SIZE]

There are more just like them is the heartbreaking reality of this. Allison and Kay remember if you need anything..calls made if you are tied up at work or something or etc let me know.

Maybe we need to be in contact with all animal rescue including the dairy industry so we could all band together if nothing else to get helicopters to lower the water to farms.

Here's a DIFFERENT APPROACH. If we approach the situation with media and authorities , that there is a FAMILY in Waveland with three small children who are watching their nine "pets" die a slow death...maybe the HUMANITARIAN factor may spur some interest in helping them. Include that in your emails!

I am not sure of exactley where they are at,, but could trucks just go in until they have to stop and then maybe 4 wheelers loaded with supplies go on in?

I know they can go pretty deep into water. Just a thought.

Or doesnt somebody have a helicopter???

That may be the best thing,, to at least get something to them.

I am also, heartbroken over all of this. I hope someone can help. This forum group is incredible!

I didn't see the CNN report. I did see a report on CBS last night where a little boy and his family had to leave his poodle behind because the bus they were being put on wasn't taking animals. I just can't even imagine.

CKC said:
I am also, heartbroken over all of this.  I hope someone can help. This forum group is incredible!
I didn't see the CNN report. I did see a report on CBS last night where a little boy and his family  had to leave his  poodle behind because the bus they were being put on wasn't taking animals.  I just can't even imagine.

460039[/snapback]

If you go to this website - http://rr.com/flash/index.cfm you can catch a brief part of the segment. I saw it all last night at about 1 AM and just bawled...its horrible! I am STILL trying to get ahold of CNN, but now Fox and MSNBC have also picked it up. They all are playing it about every two hours, so you can only imagine the voicemail and email that I have. I looked into the helicopter idea and have found that it will be extremely difficult to get airspace clearance.

WOW, I just logged on to the Hurricane Relief for Minis acct at Paypal and as of 8:45 this am, there is $1,099 in the Fund. I'm in tears, you guys are the greatest!!!!!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Ginny StP

I'm sending my check today via snail mail and last night emailed several mini friends who aren't forum members and gave them the information. Maybe if others would do the same, it would help as well!

I am so touched by people!!! This story has touched so many hearts. Alison did you get any sleep at all??

Kay

kaykay said:
I am so touched by people!!!  This story has touched so many hearts.  Alison did you get any sleep at all??
Kay

460071[/snapback]

Sleep? No way - felt too selfish thinking about those poor people and the fact that they were probably up all night trying to save themselves and their horses. I have a contact who knows someone at CNN who is working on helping us. I hope they will call me SOON!!

Alison,

I sure hope you have other AMHA employees helping you on this huge task. You are doing a superb job.

Remember we are on I-10, and know many backroads to maybe be able to help out!!

Kay and Alison, you are doing great work.
aktion033.gif
Keep it up.

We are overwhelmed here in Houston. We have members of one of our sister lawfirms here and will help them set up in our offices. We are taking in their families as well. I'll help find housing for people pets and horses if anyone out there needs it.

I know MS is limiting entry but all in all MS is far ahead of NO LA in helping people. Hopefully it won't be much longer until they let some of us in to walk the minis out to waiting trailers if we have to. Of course we will help the family and I love the pets angle.

We had talked about taking some minis down to the Astrodome to let the kids have some "love, hug and groom" time but the conditions in the dome quickly deteriorated into chaos. The Red Cross and thousands of volunteers (including a rotating groups of our lawyers) had arranged the cots in sections with aisles for fire evacuation routes. The refugees refused to listen to instruction and moved the cots to make small "cities" and the fire marshall shut the place down. The folks there want their family members to come in but their attitudes are - this is our place - we don't care where others have to go.

Security has deteriorated as well and they are talking of moving in armed Texas National Guards to declare martial law within the dome. And this is with a fraction of the people that the dome had planned to be able to handle. They are opening up more large venues - the Reliant Stadium and possible Reliant convention center - they are concered that without security the three venues will become lawless and be torn apart. People are just so desparate and so angry.

Our hearts and prayers go out to our AMHA family in MS, to all of the effected people, especially those in immediate jeopardy in NOLA and to all of you anxiously having to stand by not allowed to help except to send money for now. When I hear good news I'll up date the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
rabbitsfizz said:
I've been following the whole crisis on the 24 hour News, over here.  I just do not understand what is going on.  It's been FOUR days, why is the government not on top of this, they knew it was coming.  Where is the organisation?? Where is the sense in not allowing straightforward, in and out rescue, irrespective of the recipients?? This is NOT criticism, that is the last thing needed at this time, but these are questions that need to be asked.  It has been FOUR - well FIVE now, days.  What in the name of all that's Holy is going on???  In the middle of the richest country in the world are scenes that are parallelled only in Africa and Indonesia.Right, I'm off the e-mail CNN!!

460003[/snapback]

aktion033.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif

I SOOOO agree with this, and have been wondering this also! They new it was coming...why didn't they, since they were expecting the worst) have the National Guard there waiting, on standby, and move into position as soon as the storm went through. Even with the flooding that came later from the broken levies, after the initial blow of the storm, I feel if they would have had a preparedness plan in place BEFORE it hit, things would have moved more smoothly. Now I am wondering if the total devastation was even more than any of them even fathomed. Seems the US moves more swiftly to help out in major crisis' elsewhere than they are moving to help the devastated in their own country. I sure hope things start moving along more swiftly now...so many lives have already been lost.
sad.gif
Also, I am not criticizing either...just VERY puzzled and surprised at the speed,or lack thereof, that this is moving.

I continue to send prayers.

pray.gif
pray.gif
pray.gif
pray.gif

Latest posts

Back